New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: Hank Everlast on March 12, 2010, 04:45:32 PM
Headn over for st paddys week... Any must do's?
Doesnt matter what you do in that town Hank..you'll come back wantin to go again...
Personally a must do is to get your boots on and walk everywhere...it's like walking through a film set. You'll recognise everywhere from what you have seen on the movies/TV.
A few years ago myself and the Bro n Law got the subway from where we were staying on 57th St to Battery Park and had a look around the Financial district and Ground Zero. We then walked from there along Broadway to Times Square...it'll take you a while but you will have a few pit stops along the way!

If you want some real good advice about Manhattan pm Heganboy...he might be an Armagh hoor but he knows his stuff about the Big Apple ;) ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 12, 2010, 10:48:08 PM
Quote from: Hank Everlast on March 12, 2010, 04:45:32 PM
Headn over for st paddys week... Any must do's?
Doesnt matter what you do in that town Hank..you'll come back wantin to go again...
Personally a must do is to get your boots on and walk everywhere...it's like walking through a film set. You'll recognise everywhere from what you have seen on the movies/TV.
A few years ago myself and the Bro n Law got the subway from where we were staying on 57th St to Battery Park and had a look around the Financial district and Ground Zero. We then walked from there along Broadway to Times Square...it'll take you a while but you will have a few pit stops along the way!

If you want some real good advice about Manhattan pm Heganboy...he might be an Armagh hoor but he knows his stuff about the Big Apple ;) ;) ;)

Carmen statesside is there too...Knows a few good mates of mine...Going in summer myself can't wait to get back!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

nifan

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 12, 2010, 10:48:08 PM

Hes only a tourist himself - he lives in jersey!

118cmal

Hey guys heading over inJune and just wondering about the NY state tax.  I'm thinking of buying a Macbook which retails at $999.  Is this all I'll have to pay or will I have to pay state tax after this? 

Thanks,
Mal

dec

If you are buying in New York City the combined city and state tax is 8.875%

heganboy

if you can get it in macys- go in show your passport and they'l give you i think 11% off you need to head to cust service on the mezzanine when you go in
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

J70

Taxes are not included in labelled prices like they are at home. They add the tax at the register. Can be annoying when you're not used to it!

The Real Laoislad

Going to NY myself in September then onto Vegas for a week afterwards..I can't fecking wait  8)

You'll Never Walk Alone.

new devil

As long as she dosen't catch herself on between now and then!!  :P

ross4life

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 14, 2010, 04:36:17 PM
Going to NY myself in September then onto Vegas for a week afterwards..I can't fecking wait  8)

The city that does sleep to the real city that doesn't sleep!
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Puckoon

Trying to get to NYC for a week in October - figure the weather should be nice enough still then. Bit of an autumny feel about it maybe.

Anyone any advice on accomodation? Even looking on the 'top secret' hotels portion of travelocity most places are wanting 200$ a night. Hoping to stay 5 nights

Puckoon

Quote from: ross4life on March 12, 2010, 09:08:51 PM
what is peoples Opinions on New York?

of the USA cities Ive been to i would rate it as follows.......

1. las Vegas
2. Chicago
3. Salt lake City
4. New york
5 La

gong to San Francisco shortly & i expect that to top my list

This may be the only non mormon list that has Salt Lake as a top 5 american city.

Utah liquor laws
Utah's liquor laws are known as one of the more peculiar things about the state. Liquor is sold only in state-owned stores which can cost more than in other states - but are neat, clean and always well stocked. In fact, the wine stores are brimming with a surprising selection of wines. "Near-beer" (3.2% alcohol by weight/4% alcohol by volume, as opposed to the standard 4-5% alcohol by volume) replaces the usual brew, which is available in stores and restaurants. "Full strength," or, "Strong Beer," is available in bars and liquor stores. Also, state law prohibits the serving of more than 1.5 ounces of alcohol as the primary liquor in a mixed drink. This used to be circumvented with the purchase of a "sidecar" (a separate shot of liquor), but the laws have recently been amended. Secondary alcoholic flavorings may then be added to a mixed drink as the recipe requires.

Although liquor laws in Utah are more strict, they are not impossible. There are several kinds of establishments to know about:

Private club. Utah has recently changed its liquor laws and Private clubs are no longer required. A very few clubs have retained memberships, such as the exclusive Alta Club.
Tavern. A tavern is a bar that serves only beer and requires no "membership".
Restaurants. Many restaurants serve beer as well as hard liquor. No "membership" is required, but you must order food. You cannot order more than one drink (per person) at a time.
State Wine Store. There are approximately 10 state run wine stores [69] in Salt Lake City. One State Wine Store is located near downtown Salt Lake City (205 W 400 S; off-street parking). The wine prices vary significantly, but the store must sell the wine for at least 67% above cost (beer 75% above cost) plus state taxes. You cannot buy wine openers at the wine stores, so bring your own or be prepared to buy one somewhere else. The selection of wine is fairly large, but the selection of spirits is quite small and centered around "premium" spirits. There is also no case discount available.

ross4life

So much more to Salt lake City than drink, beautiful clean friendly city unlike some of the others have been to.. San Francisco  would jump to number two in my list now
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Puckoon

I've been there, I just found it a strange place. Perhaps I was not blown away by it because I have equal beauty on my own doorstep. I think Lake Tahoe beats Salt Lake into submission.

I think it is hard to compare cities like Salt Lake, or even Vegas to such metropoli as San fran, Boston, Chicago and NYC. Not comparing apples to apples.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Puckoon on August 03, 2010, 06:28:39 PM
Trying to get to NYC for a week in October - figure the weather should be nice enough still then. Bit of an autumny feel about it maybe.

Anyone any advice on accomodation? Even looking on the 'top secret' hotels portion of travelocity most places are wanting 200$ a night. Hoping to stay 5 nights

Try Hotwire - but not yet, I wouldn't book until 3 or 4 weeks before you go, prices will come down a lot closer to your trip. I'm heading over late September, but the prices are still way too high just yet. $125 should get you somewhere decent in Midtown in October.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100