New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetNitrate

If you are looking for hip and near nightlife The Standard, near High Line, if you are looking more Times Square, the AC is a nice new boutique hotel with good rooftop bar. Westin in Times Square also sometimes has good rates.

J70

Quote from: balladmaker on November 30, 2022, 09:53:03 PM
Spent 6 nights in April this year, stayed in Hyatt Place, 39th St and 8th Ave, it was the best value we could find for a family room. Was an expensive week between flights and spending money, but everyone had a brill time.  Did The Edge, Central Park, Times Square, the High line walk, the Village, Staten Island, Sunset cruise around the bay, plus a good few bars and restaurants along the way, some city.

Staten Island?? ??? ;D

galwayman

Quote from: NetNitrate on November 30, 2022, 11:29:07 PM
If you are looking for hip and near nightlife The Standard, near High Line, if you are looking more Times Square, the AC is a nice new boutique hotel with good rooftop bar. Westin in Times Square also sometimes has good rates.
Stayed in Lower Manhattan back in October but that Chelsea area near the High Line is really nice.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 01, 2022, 12:18:32 PM
Spent 6 nights in April this year, stayed in Hyatt Place, 39th St and 8th Ave, it was the best value we could find for a family room. Was an expensive week between flights and spending money, but everyone had a brill time.  Did The Edge, Central Park, Times Square, the High line walk, the Village, Staten Island, Sunset cruise around the bay, plus a good few bars and restaurants along the way, some city.

Staten Island?? ??? ;D

Probably meant he took the Staten Island Ferry

Anyone I ever took on it regarded it as one of the highlights of their trip

general

Going End Feb for 4 nights/5 days;

Hotel - the edison times square, return from dub-jfk £1500 (2 adults)

How much spending money should one budget for daily (if attractions are pre booked).

on the attractions - i see there are some passes - are the 3/4 day passes worth it? or is it best to book each one by one

balladmaker

Staten Island?? ??? ;D

Yes, Staten Island ferry to head to the Empire Outlet stores, ferry was fine, stores weren't good.

balladmaker

Quote from: general on December 01, 2022, 01:47:51 PM

How much spending money should one budget for daily (if attractions are pre booked).

on the attractions - i see there are some passes - are the 3/4 day passes worth it? or is it best to book each one by one

Stayed in the Edison before ... superb location just off Times Square, was a small enough room as seems the norm for NYC, I don't recall hanging around the hotel other than a few beers in what was a small bar in it.

Spending money, how long is a piece of string really ... you won't be long burning through $200 when eating out a few times a day along with a few beers etc.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: balladmaker on December 01, 2022, 02:11:20 PM

Stayed in the Edison before ... superb location just off Times Square, was a small enough room as seems the norm for NYC, I don't recall hanging around the hotel other than a few beers in what was a small bar in it.

Spending money, how long is a piece of string really ... you won't be long burning through $200 when eating out a few times a day along with a few beers etc.

None of that budget comes from buying stuff in the shops lol!! You're talking 3 to 400 dollars lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

themac_23

Quote from: balladmaker on December 01, 2022, 02:11:20 PM

Staying here myself start of jan for 3 nights before headed on a cruise, location looks good, was told not to expect too much for Times Square hotels. Looking forward to seeing New York, never been before

take_yer_points

Just back from New York yesterday, stayed 4 nights in the New Yorker on 8th Avenue, 35th Street. Across the road from Madison Square Garden and 3 or 4 blocks from the edge. Hotel is in a great location but starting to look a bit dated when you get upstairs. The edge is very good

Just the two of us over. Minimum $10 for a beer in Manhattan and can go higher ($15 an Irish coffee in the dead rabbit, same for a hot whiskey, which I've now discovered is called a hot toddy over there). Went to Gallagher's Steak House up near times square and a couple of steaks, a few drinks and tip ran to well over $200. Other days ate a couple of slices for a few $.

Got last minute tickets for Chicago at the booth in Times Square, opens at 3pm daily with tickets available for everything that was on with minimum 25% discounted. Arrived at 3.15 and were away by 3.45 with the tickets.

We got the bus from Newark into Port Authority from directly outside the terminal in Newark. Half an hour in and $40 for both of us. Booked online on the coach USA site, you can't buy tickets at the airport. 8th avenue for 5 or 6 blocks below Port Authority was an experience - some amount of poverty and homelessness. Saw a few fellas being worked on by paramedics and it didn't look great

Whole Foods is a good job for a bite to eat that'll keep the cost down, plenty of them around so can grab a bite to eat if walking around the city.

5 below also good for the presents for kids. Toys on a budget (most things in it are <$5)

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: balladmaker on December 01, 2022, 02:04:11 PM

Staten Island?? ??? ;D

Yes, Staten Island ferry to head to the Empire Outlet stores, ferry was fine, stores weren't good.

The Circle Line is a great sightseeing tour, seeing the city from a different perspective, and not mad expensive iirc.
Hasta la victoria siempre

whitey

PMG1

Heading to NY for the first time on 15th of this month for 4 nights. Booked an Airbnb apartment owned by an Irish guy (it's a pubs the Landmark Tavern which is an Irish Bar in Hells Kitchen area), cost about $220 per night and it looks great. Booked flights back in March for £330 each return. Have been in 56 countries but never in USA. Have my wife and 18 year old daughter so a bit of shopping will be on the menu unfortunately. Someone said to head to Woodbury Common which is a 90 min bus journey but is supposed to be the best shopping place , anyone done this and is it worth it or is there any handier good value shopping areas?

J70

Depends on the range of shops you're after. There are outlets across the river in Secaucus which would be far easier and quicker to get to. Woodbury Common is handy enough though as it's just off I-87, but depending on traffic it could be a two hour drive at least. I'd expect it to be busy as f**k a week before Xmas, but could be wrong.

J70

Quote from: balladmaker on December 01, 2022, 02:04:11 PM

Staten Island?? ??? ;D

The ferry should be on everyone's list.

Statin Island itself... not so much.