Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthAntrim

Disappointing. We really need our best 17/18 hurlers available at all times

NorthAntrim

Any news on mckenna injury? Id love to see A O'Brien and R Molloy added to panel for next year. Both more than physical enough for this level and two good hurlers

Saffrongael

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 24, 2023, 02:36:33 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 24, 2023, 10:54:26 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on April 24, 2023, 10:50:15 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 24, 2023, 10:39:49 AM
Unfortunate not to take the win at the weekend. The lads gave it absolutely everything.

Some strange tactical elements from our side, but that's the manager's prerogative. Hopefully can take a bit of confidence from this forward into the other games.

In what way NAG1? I give us more than a fighting chance this weekend. I think Wexford are very average

Dublin were probably bang average too and we had them at home.

Found it strange selection of the first substitution to replace NE, just from a positional and tactical POV.

Puck out strategy was another one I couldn't understand.

Look I'm not trying to be negative because the team gave absolutely everything and commitment was there in spades, it's just a few things that I didn't get watching on.

NE went off with a foot injury which has deemed him out for the next few weeks unfortunately
Quote from: NorthAntrim on April 24, 2023, 03:54:32 PM
Any news on mckenna injury? Id love to see A O'Brien and R Molloy added to panel for next year. Both more than physical enough for this level and two good hurlers

An opportunity for Paul Boyle perhaps ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

NorthAntrim

100%. Im just talking strength and depth of the panel overall which is a big difference in top teams and teams around our level

burdizzo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2023, 06:16:50 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on April 22, 2023, 06:07:35 PM
Quote from: BrendanAntrim on April 22, 2023, 04:19:29 PM
Mixed feelings....a defeat at the end would have been absolute heartbreak but overall weren't we the better side? Yeah a draw we would probably have taken beforehand and 6 points I suppose isn't a big lead in hurling. Dub players were throwing the ball to each other without the pretence of a hand pass and never blown up for it. Great to see us matching them, standing up to them.

The "throw" argument has been lost, it's gone. Every team is doing it. The ref will give a token free or two each game.

It's impossible to see unless you see it done! Even if we say there's no way he got that ball out of that situation unless the ref actually sees a technical foul he can't call it on a whim!!

So the token call you said is stupid as all ref's will call it if they see it, otherwise why bother call token ones?

I thought the rule stated there must be a 'definite' striking action. Therefore, if the ref can't see that it was a definite handpass, surely he's within his rights to blow a free? The onus should be on the player to make it a clear handpass action, and not on the ref to have to judge every marginal handpass/ throw.

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2023, 06:16:50 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on April 22, 2023, 06:07:35 PM
Quote from: BrendanAntrim on April 22, 2023, 04:19:29 PM
Mixed feelings....a defeat at the end would have been absolute heartbreak but overall weren't we the better side? Yeah a draw we would probably have taken beforehand and 6 points I suppose isn't a big lead in hurling. Dub players were throwing the ball to each other without the pretence of a hand pass and never blown up for it. Great to see us matching them, standing up to them.

The "throw" argument has been lost, it's gone. Every team is doing it. The ref will give a token free or two each game.

It's impossible to see unless you see it done! Even if we say there's no way he got that ball out of that situation unless the ref actually sees a technical foul he can't call it on a whim!!

So the token call you said is stupid as all ref's will call it if they see it, otherwise why bother call token ones?

On the result, Dublin have been recently a big boggy team for us home and away, if you told me we could at the very worst get a draw I'd have taken it. Great start steady mid way and nip and tuck throughout, Dublin a level above us (just) big mental result today

You need to educate yourself on the rules as they are written.

And the way the rule is written is correct.  To constitute a legal handpass, the ball must be released with a "definite striking action".  So the absence of a definite striking action means that a foul has been committed.

We are not asking the ref to decide if the ball has been thrown or not.

Another case of the GAA writing unnecessary rules, when all they have to do is tell their referees to implement the existing rules properly.

Milltown Row2

so if the referee is behind the player, and can't see a definite striking action he must blow for an illegal hand pass? When the truth is he's outta position and it's his fault for not being In correct position to see the pass so call a foul.. seems harsh, I'll try that on Sunday ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2023, 05:37:58 PM
so if the referee is behind the player, and can't see a definite striking action he must blow for an illegal hand pass? When the truth is he's outta position and it's his fault for not being In correct position to see the pass so call a foul.. seems harsh, I'll try that on Sunday ;D

;D Typical aul slopey shoulder referee response

"I didn't see nahin"

If that's the defence, referees must spend at least 95% of their time out of position

Because in today's game, I'd say that's a fair estimate of the proportion of handpasses that are made without a definite striking action

I call bullshit

If the ref's did their job properly in this regard, there'd be no issue, and no need for another bloody committee

Milltown Row2

I'm not sure how to best approach it, if he's seen no foul he can't call it, just because (in your opinion) 95% of the hand passes are illegal, if that is the case then just ban it altogether.

Ref'd a game on Sunday possibly 2 that I caught 4 I was unsure of the rest grand.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2023, 09:12:09 PM
I'm not sure how to best approach it, if he's seen no foul he can't call it, just because (in your opinion) 95% of the hand passes are illegal, if that is the case then just ban it altogether.

Ref'd a game on Sunday possibly 2 that I caught 4 I was unsure of the rest grand.

Steady on man dear  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Problem:
Referees are not calling fouls for illegitimate handpasses

Referee's Solution:
Ban handpassing

IMO the issue is that referees think they must see a definitive throw in order for it to be a foul

Whereas that's not the case at all

burdizzo

I assume you let the ones you were unsure of go? That's the nub if it: if you were unsure, there was obviously no 'definite' striking action, and it should have been a foul. I realise, of course, that a whistle-happy ref. ain't going to be too popular, but if the rule was enforced properly players wouldn't so readily chance a throw.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: burdizzo on April 25, 2023, 09:24:24 PM

I assume you let the ones you were unsure of go? That's the nub if it: if you were unsure, there was obviously no 'definite' striking action, and it should have been a foul. I realise, of course, that a whistle-happy ref. ain't going to be too popular, but if the rule was enforced properly players wouldn't so readily chance a throw.

You play at all? If a ref pulled you every time you made a legal hand pass would you be pleased?  Just because the ref isn't in position? Give your head a shake

burdizzo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2023, 09:42:13 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on April 25, 2023, 09:24:24 PM

You play at all? If a ref pulled you every time you made a legal hand pass would you be pleased?  Just because the ref isn't in position? Give your head a shake

Yes, I do play. And yes - of course I'd be annoyed. I'm annoyed every time I'm blown! However, we've got to the point where the throw-ball has become a bit of a blight on the game, and that's happened because refs are letting 'borderline' cases go when, in fact, the onus is on the player to execute the pass in a clear and definite way.

Milltown Row2

Then why don't you execute it legally?

To simplify it better, a ref can only blow for a free if he sees it.

But it's a grey area that the GAA authorities need to clear up.

There are some examples of changing it but let's see how that pans out

Saffrongael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2023, 10:38:11 PM
Then why don't you execute it legally?

To simplify it better, a ref can only blow for a free if he sees it.

But it's a grey area that the GAA authorities need to clear up.

There are some examples of changing it but let's see how that pans out

The GAA have set up a working group to look at it
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come