The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2023, 01:51:08 PM
The whole point of my exchange with Gmac  was that he was claiming that the mere act of misgendering someone could result in prison time. The criminal charges and prison stuff is what we were discussing, NOT the inclusion of gender identity among the protected characteristics.

In order for someone to have a credible case brought against them that they are engaging in hate speech or directly or recklessly inciting violence against someone on account of their gender identity, their sexual orientation, their religion, their race, you're going to have to have a lot more going on that just someone mistakenly calling someone else by the wrong pronoun. The other protected characteristics have been there for at least 30 years in Ireland, and there have been 1-2 cases per year in all that time. Yet we've heard plenty about the abuse of people of colour on the playing fields, including GAA fields.

As I pointed out, the act, in section 11, even carves out an exception for good faith debate and discussion, so no one is being muzzled on that front.

Quote from: Gmac on May 04, 2023, 03:14:31 PM
Play along with mental illness or we jail you

One of these posters is engaging in reasoned debate. The other is a fool

Gmac

Quote from: smelmoth on May 04, 2023, 04:10:17 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2023, 01:51:08 PM
The whole point of my exchange with Gmac  was that he was claiming that the mere act of misgendering someone could result in prison time. The criminal charges and prison stuff is what we were discussing, NOT the inclusion of gender identity among the protected characteristics.

In order for someone to have a credible case brought against them that they are engaging in hate speech or directly or recklessly inciting violence against someone on account of their gender identity, their sexual orientation, their religion, their race, you're going to have to have a lot more going on that just someone mistakenly calling someone else by the wrong pronoun. The other protected characteristics have been there for at least 30 years in Ireland, and there have been 1-2 cases per year in all that time. Yet we've heard plenty about the abuse of people of colour on the playing fields, including GAA fields.

As I pointed out, the act, in section 11, even carves out an exception for good faith debate and discussion, so no one is being muzzled on that front.

Quote from: Gmac on May 04, 2023, 03:14:31 PM
Play along with mental illness or we jail you

One of these posters is engaging in reasoned debate. The other is a fool
j70 I think you should report him for abuse .

seafoid

The big question is who wrote the legislation.
Trans is a culture war between trans people and women. Women are being oppressed .
And they can't accept trans ideology .Bringing this into the law is wrong.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Gmac

There was 70% negative feedback on this in an independent study, so the question is why push ahead with it , the answer is the government in Ireland and around the world don't want any dissension to their policies whether it be trans , climate change, immigration, Ukraine, lockdowns and the policies associated with them , brand everyone far right who dissents .
Show me the man and I'll show you the crime

J70

Bringing what, exactly, into law is wrong?

Do you lads think trans people should be fair game for abuse and targeting purely on account of the way they identify themselves? Their status means they're not worthy of respect and dignity? What's the difference between targeting an individual because they're trans and targeting them because they're black or gay or Muslim?

The law still allows you to debate and express your opinion that you disagree with transsexuality.

And judging by the debate going on here, I'd be skeptical about how much these in that 70% poll actually knew about the law.

J70

Let's put it this way: when's the last time someone in Ireland (or the US) was arrested for saying "I think homosexuality is wrong/an abomination "?

Has it ever happened?

It's been a protected characteristic for quite a while now.

Most intelligent people would just say "f**k off bigot" or something to that effect.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2023, 05:41:28 PM
Let's put it this way: when's the last time someone in Ireland (or the US) was arrested for saying "I think homosexuality is wrong/an abomination "?

Has it ever happened?

Most intelligent people would just say "f**k off bigot" or something to that effect.
That assumes good faith ongoing.
Trans people may be more litigious. They use bad faith more often. Why should the people be exposed to this ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: seafoid on May 04, 2023, 05:58:38 PM

Has it ever happened?

Trans people may be more litigious. They use bad faith more often. Why should the people be exposed to this ?

Trans people use bad faith more often??

They may be more litigious??

whitey

Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2023, 05:29:42 PM

Do you lads think trans people should be fair game for abuse and targeting purely on account of the way they identify themselves? Their status means they're not worthy of respect and dignity? What's the difference between targeting an individual because they're trans and targeting them because they're black or gay or Muslim?

The law still allows you to debate and express your opinion that you disagree with transsexuality.

And judging by the debate going on here, I'd be skeptical about how much these in that 70% poll actually knew about the law.

What's your definition of abuse?

There's a hullabaloo in my town where conservative parents are trying to have a book removed from the school library. The book, a graphic novel, gives detailed instructions on how to shove a dildo up your arse, and the book is available to 12 year olds

The people who are objecting to the book are being accused of cancelling, intimidating, threatening, nullifying  and promoting violence and death on trans youth.......by objecting to a frickin book.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2023, 06:17:04 PM

Has it ever happened?

if I told you 2/3 years ago that you could lose your job for calling a biological man a man and not playing the pronoun game would you have believed me ? Doesn't take long to escalate

Gmac

Meanwhile joe has us on the cusp of ww3

Main Street

Quote from: Gmac on May 04, 2023, 08:36:48 PM
Are you just another useless idiot who peddles random idiotic kremlin botisms or just someone afflicted with an uncontrollable anti -Biden tic syndrome?

burdizzo

Quote from: Gmac on May 04, 2023, 08:24:53 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2023, 06:17:04 PM

Has it ever happened?

if I told you 2/3 years ago that you could lose your job for calling a biological man a man and not playing the pronoun game would you have believed me ? Doesn't take long to escalate

Exactly. The more you give 'em, they more they want.

burdizzo

Quote from: Main Street on May 04, 2023, 08:46:07 PM
Quote from: Gmac on May 04, 2023, 08:36:48 PM
Are you just another useless idiot who peddles random idiotic kremlin botisms or just someone afflicted with an uncontrollable anti -Biden tic syndrome?

Ah, right - so Biden has it under control? Phew. We can all sleep easy now. Thanks for the update.

J70

Quote from: whitey on May 04, 2023, 08:21:32 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2023, 05:29:42 PM

What's your definition of abuse?

There's a hullabaloo in my town where conservative parents are trying to have a book removed from the school library. The book, a graphic novel, gives detailed instructions on how to shove a dildo up your arse, and the book is available to 12 year olds

The people who are objecting to the book are being accused of cancelling, intimidating, threatening, nullifying  and promoting violence and death on trans youth.......by objecting to a frickin book.

Cool story.

Relevance to anything I said?