Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

FermPundit

Quote from: Erne Man on March 24, 2009, 02:06:45 PM
Made the trip to Portlaoise on Saturday to see the worst Fermanagh performance in a long time. Totally off the pace in all sectors of the field, and given a complete run around by to be fair, an average Laois team. Without wanting to go into a lot of detail - Laois cleaned up around the middle of the field, where Clancy was excellent, and in Munnelly and Tierney they had 2 excellent forwards. Tierney was outstanding and gave both Goan and Jones the runaround - he reminded me of a young Raymie Gallagher - all left foot but a real class act.

Don't know what happened - although we were in the game up until about the 20minute mark we were always way off the pace. Laois play a very open brand of football and used the big pitch to absolutely tear us apart - we were opened up so many times, and if they had really been clinical could probably have had 2or3 goals, but instead settled for a multitude of  points.

Our defence was atrocious - even reliable heads like Lyons and Goan were well short. We were second to the ball, made the wrong decisions and gave away a serious amount of ball. Where Laois had yards of space - our frowards were standing on top of each other. Blobby again impressed me at full-forward, but unfortunately our captains continued poor discipline deprives him of a full 70mins in there. Eamon was ok - but the quality of ball coming in was dreadful. The one thing that struck me on Saturday when looking at how Laois created space, and used their pacy players - we have no pace whatsoever in the forward line outside of Eamon - which could be our downfall come the summer.
The other annoying aspect was that we knew how Laois would play (there is ony one way they play) - yet our management team were scratching their heads after 15mins pondering changes. To be fair to them though - we were beaten in every position so making changes was going to be very difficult.
The 6point defeat doesn't tell the whole story as Laois were 10 up in the last few minutes, and took the foot of the gas, allowing McElroy and Little in for scores.
Worried about Kildare at the weekend - but to be honest I think that defeat has sealed our fate in Division 3 for next year. McGrath's suspension means that we will probably not have Blobby at full forward - which for me has been one of the positives from the last 2 games. Peter Sherry picked up a bad injury, and was replaced by Bogue who looked lively - and I would start him on sunday. Little and McElroy will probably start as well - and although O'Brien was poor, he deserves a chance again.
I would go with
Gallagher
Bogue
Brady
Goan
Kelly
Lyons
Foy/Johnson
McDermott
Sherry
Little
T McElroy
O'Brien
Maguire
Carson
D Keenan/McElroy

By all accounts, Fermanagh were awful on Saturday night. I didn't get to the game, but this is the only league game I've missed. Overall, Fermanagh have been so disappointing during this league campaign. I always thought we would be up against it in division two this year but it feels as if we'll be relegated without putting up a real fight. There appears to be a real lack of confidence in so many of the players. I'm not sure what has caused this, but I suspect the negative press that the team received in the media last summer has had a real affect on the squad. It feels as if the players are afraid of making mistakes and won't take on any responsibility on the field. May be the impact of the Ulster Final replay defeat against Armagh shouldn't be under estimated.

Without Barry Owens, Womble, McCabe and Clucker the size and strength of our squad has been seriously exposed. I was at the u21 game last week and there doesn't appear to be too much talent coming through.

I could sit here all night and be negative, so I'll try and find some positives from this league campaign. Blooby has shown some promise at full forward, especially against Armagh. Shane O'Brien, whilst a little inconsistent has shown that given time, he could be a decent player at this level. Before his injury, Rory Foy has really impressed me with some of his performances. Daryl Keenan, although small and light, has got a bright future ahead at inter county level.

Given our current injuries and absentees, my team for Sunday would be

Gallagher
Bogue
Brady
Goan
Kelly
Lyons
Johnston
Sherry
McDermott
T. McElroy
Little
C. McElroy
D. Keenan
Carson
Maguire
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

118cmal

Quote from: FermPundit on March 24, 2009, 08:03:54 PM
Quote from: Erne Man on March 24, 2009, 02:06:45 PM
Made the trip to Portlaoise on Saturday to see the worst Fermanagh performance in a long time. Totally off the pace in all sectors of the field, and given a complete run around by to be fair, an average Laois team. Without wanting to go into a lot of detail - Laois cleaned up around the middle of the field, where Clancy was excellent, and in Munnelly and Tierney they had 2 excellent forwards. Tierney was outstanding and gave both Goan and Jones the runaround - he reminded me of a young Raymie Gallagher - all left foot but a real class act.

Don't know what happened - although we were in the game up until about the 20minute mark we were always way off the pace. Laois play a very open brand of football and used the big pitch to absolutely tear us apart - we were opened up so many times, and if they had really been clinical could probably have had 2or3 goals, but instead settled for a multitude of  points.

Our defence was atrocious - even reliable heads like Lyons and Goan were well short. We were second to the ball, made the wrong decisions and gave away a serious amount of ball. Where Laois had yards of space - our frowards were standing on top of each other. Blobby again impressed me at full-forward, but unfortunately our captains continued poor discipline deprives him of a full 70mins in there. Eamon was ok - but the quality of ball coming in was dreadful. The one thing that struck me on Saturday when looking at how Laois created space, and used their pacy players - we have no pace whatsoever in the forward line outside of Eamon - which could be our downfall come the summer.
The other annoying aspect was that we knew how Laois would play (there is ony one way they play) - yet our management team were scratching their heads after 15mins pondering changes. To be fair to them though - we were beaten in every position so making changes was going to be very difficult.
The 6point defeat doesn't tell the whole story as Laois were 10 up in the last few minutes, and took the foot of the gas, allowing McElroy and Little in for scores.
Worried about Kildare at the weekend - but to be honest I think that defeat has sealed our fate in Division 3 for next year. McGrath's suspension means that we will probably not have Blobby at full forward - which for me has been one of the positives from the last 2 games. Peter Sherry picked up a bad injury, and was replaced by Bogue who looked lively - and I would start him on sunday. Little and McElroy will probably start as well - and although O'Brien was poor, he deserves a chance again.
I would go with
Gallagher
Bogue
Brady
Goan
Kelly
Lyons
Foy/Johnson
McDermott
Sherry
Little
T McElroy
O'Brien
Maguire
Carson
D Keenan/McElroy

By all accounts, Fermanagh were awful on Saturday night. I didn't get to the game, but this is the only league game I've missed. Overall, Fermanagh have been so disappointing during this league campaign. I always thought we would be up against it in division two this year but it feels as if we'll be relegated without putting up a real fight. There appears to be a real lack of confidence in so many of the players. I'm not sure what has caused this, but I suspect the negative press that the team received in the media last summer has had a real affect on the squad. It feels as if the players are afraid of making mistakes and won't take on any responsibility on the field. May be the impact of the Ulster Final replay defeat against Armagh shouldn't be under estimated.

Without Barry Owens, Womble, McCabe and Clucker the size and strength of our squad has been seriously exposed. I was at the u21 game last week and there doesn't appear to be too much talent coming through.

I could sit here all night and be negative, so I'll try and find some positives from this league campaign. Blooby has shown some promise at full forward, especially against Armagh. Shane O'Brien, whilst a little inconsistent has shown that given time, he could be a decent player at this level. Before his injury, Rory Foy has really impressed me with some of his performances. Daryl Keenan, although small and light, has got a bright future ahead at inter county level.

Given our current injuries and absentees, my team for Sunday would be

Gallagher
Bogue
Brady
Goan
Kelly
Lyons
Johnston
Sherry
McDermott
T. McElroy
Little
C. McElroy
D. Keenan
Carson
Maguire

I think that midfiel would be destroyed.  I agree Bogue needs another chance though!

Gallagher

Bogue
Lyons
Goan

Sherry
McDermott
Kelly

Carson
Sherry

Ciaran McElroy
Tommy McElroy
Little

Eamonn Maguire
Ferris
Daryl Keenan

Fermanaghandsam

From having seen the NFL games so far, I think it is safe too day that Blobby is either not good enough or fit enough to play midfild, however he does look very promising in Full Forward, so this is where I would like to see him for the next few games. My team would be

Gallagher
Johnston/Jones/Bogue
Brady
Goan
Kelly
Lyons
Foy (easily the biggest positive this year)
Sherry
McDermott/McBarron(I assume he is back now)
Little
T McElroy (needs a few more games here before a decision can be made if he will make a forward)
O'Brien (Shows Promise)
D. Keenan (looks very promising, however a bit lightweight)
Carson
Maguire

FermGael

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on March 25, 2009, 07:19:30 PM
From having seen the NFL games so far, I think it is safe too day that Blobby is either not good enough or fit enough to play midfild, however he does look very promising in Full Forward, so this is where I would like to see him for the next few games. My team would be

Gallagher
Johnston/Jones/Bogue
Brady
Goan
Kelly
Lyons
Foy (easily the biggest positive this year)
Sherry
McDermott/McBarron(I assume he is back now)
Little
T McElroy (needs a few more games here before a decision can be made if he will make a forward)
O'Brien (Shows Promise)
D. Keenan (looks very promising, however a bit lightweight)
Carson
Maguire

Aah now.  calm down. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

118cmal

I would nearly put my house (actually I don't have a house).  But if I did, I would put it on Liam McBarron Starting the first championship match this year for Fermanagh (providing he's fit). 

In fairness, he couldn't be much worse than Sherry has been in the league.

FermPundit

Quote from: 118cmal on March 25, 2009, 08:05:52 PM
I would nearly put my house (actually I don't have a house).  But if I did, I would put it on Liam McBarron Starting the first championship match this year for Fermanagh (providing he's fit). 

In fairness, he couldn't be much worse than Sherry has been in the league.

I actually think James Sherry has been decent enough during the league but he does need Marty McGrath beside him as it allows him to move forward with Marty operating as the holding midfielder.

supersub

how come young maguire and one of the o'briens from devenish weren't on the u21 panel?

FermPundit

Quote from: supersub on March 27, 2009, 06:31:54 PM
how come young maguire and one of the o'briens from devenish weren't on the u21 panel?

Chris O'Brien was injured for the Down game, but I think we played in the Monaghan game. Joe O'Brien played corner forward against Down. Not sure what Maguire lad you're on about.

supersub

ah right ok i see! eh darren maguire i think, i saw his name in the herald a few times along with the obriens in relation to club matches, was just wondering if he was on it or not!

FermPundit

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on March 28, 2009, 10:36:05 AM
Why are a lot of you fermanagh guys who are naming teams playing Tommy McElroy in the forward line  ???  Has he been playing in the forwards for the league?  I though he had an excellent year at wong half back for you last season.

Tommy McElroy plays a lot of club football in the forwards, so its not that surprising to see him playing here for Fermanagh. His best position is half back but as we are struggling for forwards, Malachy O'Rourke has decided to put him further up the field. Although the score against Laois doesn't suggest it, we have plenty of good backs on the senior panel. We need to look at all options in the forward line.

Erne Gael

any reports from game yesterday v Kildare??
Very disappointed with being relegated but i guess injuries players missing took its toll

ExiledGael

Injuries have certainly taken their toll but yesterday was another game that we were never in danger of winning. We had so many men back behind the ball that it was impossible to build any real attacks with the half-forward line almost non existant. Daryl Keenan was the main outlet but that was very rare. Tommy McElroy was our best ball carrier and the only one who seemed to be beating his man with any confidence.
By the hour stage we had Marty McGrath (banned), Barry Owens (injured), Eamon Maguire (injured), Ciaran McElroy (injured), Ryan McCluskey and McCabe (soccer) all absent. Maguire damaged his shoulder/arm, tried to play on then was forced to come off soon after. Ciaran seemed to hurt his leg but was walking after the game so hopefully not too bad.
Blobby and Sherry were the midfield partnership yesterday and to be fair the only man that caught a clean ball all day was Blobby. Kildare won almost 100% of the breaks in there and really looked like they could canter up and score at will, which they did any time we got within range.
O'Brien also really struggled but I think a lot of it has to do with the shape of the side at present. Ryan Keenan in the full-forward line hardly touched the ball all day while Eamon was lively without threatening too much, though hit two decent scores. Ciaran did well but was injured before half-time but hit two points.
One positive was the full back line where Hugh Brady and Micky Jones certainly won their individual battles but we lost too many of those to have had any hope of winning. Good to see McBarron back but can't see a real role for him starting. Still think we need a target up front and from what I've seen Blobby would be best suited to that. Good hands and a sweet left foot (which he probably over-uses). It's just a pity we need him to piut out fires out the field every game. His fitness has certainly improved though and at least looks county standard now.

AidyMac

League Starting this weekend for the senior teams, then nothing for 2 weeks - madness or what

Some good games to be played in the first week -
Devenish v Tempo
Roslea v Belcoo
Enniskillen v Derrygonnelly
Newtownbutler v St.Joseph's
St.Patrick's v Teemore

Fermanagh Herald SFL 2
Aughadrumsee v Erne Gaels
Derrylin v Brookeborough
Kinawley v Irvinestown
Lisnaskea v Coa

FermPundit

SFL Division 1

Enniskillen Gaels 0-14 0-09 Derrygonnelly
Devenish 0-08 0-12 Tempo
Roslea 1-09 2-06 Belcoo

SFL Division 2

Aughadrumsee 0-07 2-10 Erne Gaels
Derrylin 0-13 1-14 Brookeboro
Lisnaskea 2-12 0-07 Coa

inisceithleann

Quote from: FermPundit on April 05, 2009, 06:31:37 PM
SFL Division 1

Enniskillen Gaels 0-14 0-09 Derrygonnelly
Devenish 0-08 0-12 Tempo
Roslea 1-09 2-06 Belcoo

SFL Division 2

Aughadrumsee 0-07 2-10 Erne Gaels
Derrylin 0-13 1-14 Brookeboro
Lisnaskea 2-12 0-07 Coa

Good result for the Gaels, hopefully they'll have a good run in the league, it has been their downfall come the championship the last few seasons. Suprising enough result, Tempo beating Devenish. Looking at Division 2, it appears 'Skea should make a swift return to Division 1, while Erne Gaels could also make a strong push for promotion.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth