Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

SuperHans

Boys name a Fermanagh XV who are not on the panel this yr, a B if u like.
This boy quigley sounds good, what bout them wards from Derrygonelly or that cub Spoon, kevy Gallagher or O Flanagan from devenish just to see the real depth yur county has(plus give u posters some activity on this page)

ExiledGael

Haven't been home to see many club games this year but going by what I've seen over the years these boys should be pushing strongly for county places, most haven't committed to county, or even club, some have just been overlooked

Shane Wilson (NTB)

Paul Johnston (NTB gone to US)
Mark McKenna (Skea)
Michael Lily (Gaels)

Ryan McCluskey (Gaels)
Niall Keenan (Gaels)
Colm Monaghan (NTB)

Ryan Carson (NTB)
Paul Brewster (Gaels)

Seamus Quigley (Roslea)
Shane McCabe (Belcoo)
Ronan McCabe (Gaels)

Kille (Skea US bound)
Stephen Maguire (Belcoo)
Brendan McBrien (NTB)

Lecale2

Who are Knocks Grattons and where are they from?

FermPundit

Knock Grattans is an underage hurling club which was formed a few years ago. The Knocks is a townland situated between Lisnaskea and Donagh.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

inisceithleann

Lads, after our spirited victory over wexford what do you think our chances our against meath. although people have criticised charlie mulgrew in the past, you must hand it to him, as he always seem to get the past of the boys in the qualifiers. As for saturdays game, I was chattin a few Down friends and they reckon meath are very beatable. We have beaten them twice in the past so we should go into the game confidently. Do you think we'll bring many supporters to navan? Not a bad turnout for the wexford game but where are the bandwagon supporters of 2004 now? i know some of those fans aren't big GAA people but we should try and get them out now all the same.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

tintin25

Tough one against Meath. Good to get the win against Wexford but we'll have to play a hell of alot better. Glad to see Keenan finally starting...Bradley shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 15 imo. Murphy is starting to establish himself in the middle of the park too. I think a nice wee crowd will travel down to Navan with any bandwagors jumping aboard if we get through to the next round (Including meself! lol). Nah, saturday will be spent relaxing, watching the games and hitting the town! Senior/Inter champ's set for end of July. I reckon the Senior champ is wide open with St.Joe's and Kinawley contesting the Inter final. Interesting to see how Coa fair in Inter champ.

inisceithleann

Have to agree with you about keenan, he is a very good player and hopefully with a good run in the team he'll start to produce the form he had when he was winning Macrory cups with St. Michael's. Coa have a decent chance this year. They really should be in Div 2 of the senior league. They are as good if not better than the Bridge and playing at a higher standard will help them.

southdown

As a Down man I wish Fermanagh all the best against Meath.  As another poster has pointed out, the perception in Down is that Meath are very beatable.  They only beat Down by 5 points, after Downs worst display in a decade.  The main danger man against Down was Peadar Barry, the number 12, pure pace.  The 2 midfielders were huge but not overly mobile, and there build up play was generally slow.  Hope you can do the 6 counties proud!

inisceithleann

Thanks for the support southdown. Why did Down struggle so badly against meath? They seem to be way behind the likes of armagh, tyrone and derry despite the countys great pedigree. Surely a county of Down's size should be producing better results than that witnessed last saturday.

tintin25

Quote from: inisceithleann on July 11, 2007, 03:08:53 PM
Have to agree with you about keenan, he is a very good player and hopefully with a good run in the team he'll start to produce the form he had when he was winning Macrory cups with St. Michael's. Coa have a decent chance this year. They really should be in Div 2 of the senior league. ??? ??? They are as good if not better than the Bridge and playing at a higher standard will help them. ???

Have to disagree on a few points regarding Coa. I think it'll be another 3/4 years before they can even consider senior football. They hardly have set Erne Cup 1 on alight albeit they have not been playing full strength sides (So I'm led to believe). They are no-where near MGB at the moment. Whilst they are languishing near the bottom of Div 2, MGB aren't a bad side and have ran some of the top Div 2 teams close this year. I think Ederney will beat Coa very convincingly but hopefully in a few years themselves and Bellanaleck can make a push for senior status.

inisceithleann

I take your point regards coa, and it probably will take a few years before they're senior standard. However fermanagh is unique when you consider junior football. Because we only have the two junior clubs, I don't think it makes sense to have them playing in a league made up of senior club's reserve teams. They would be as well playin in SFL Div 2. It's not as if they would suffer big defeats or anything and it would without doubt help their development. Sure the Bridge themselves were playing junior up until a few years ago.

southdown

Quote from: inisceithleann on July 11, 2007, 04:30:11 PM
Thanks for the support southdown. Why did Down struggle so badly against meath? They seem to be way behind the likes of armagh, tyrone and derry despite the countys great pedigree. Surely a county of Down's size should be producing better results than that witnessed last saturday.

Down lost because they had no real game plan. Meath play a direct game with a straight forward long ball into the full forward line, while Down messed about with the ball. That was the striking difference between the 2 sides.

Square Ball

Charlie Mulgrew during his final match in charge of Fermanagh
Fermanagh football boss Charlie Mulgrew stepped down from the position after the county's 0-11 to 0-9 All-Ireland qualifier defeat by Meath on Saturday.
Mulgrew, who led the team to the 2004 All-Ireland semi-finals, said that he had always intended this season to be his final year in the post.

Meath led 0-6 to 0-4 at half-time at Navan and extended that lead to 0-10 to 0-5 early in the second half.

Fermanagh's produced a late rally but were unable to get on terms.

The Erne County's line-up had a late change from the side announced on Thursday with James Sherry starting instead of Tom Brewster.

However, Brewster was introduced for Ciaran McElroy midway through the first half when Meath were leading by 0-4 to 0-2.

Ciaran O'Reilly's second free of the first half reduced Meath's lead to the minimum but the Royals fought back to lead 0-6 to 0-4 at the interval.

The crucial period of the match came after half-time as Meath outscored Fermanagh by four points to one to take a 0-10 to 0-5 lead.

By that stage, the excellent Brian Farrell had notched four of Meath's points while Peadar Byrne had hit two scores.

Ciaran O'Reilly's fourth point of the match cut Meath's cut to four points and there then followed a crucial moment as Mark Little's goalbounded effort came back off the Royals woodwork.

A Tom Brewster free and a Shane McDermott point reduced Meath's lead to two but Farrell responded with a steadying score for Meath.

Brewster pointed again for Fermanagh but Meath were not put under serious pressure in the closing minutes as they held on for a deserved win.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

tintin25

So folks? who we reckon to be the next manager? Someone from inside/outside the County? Culbert perhaps!!! I see league games fixed for Fri/Sun and the Minor Champ SF's for this Wed. I predict a Tempo v Kinawey Minor Final!

FermPundit

I suspect that the new manager will come from within the county. I'd put my money on Malachy O'Rourke although I'm not sure if he'd want the job. I read in the Irish News that the county board hope to appoint someone in the new couple of months. I think it was the right time for Charlie to leave. I believe he has brought us as far as he could although in fairness to him he has help put Fermanagh football on the map and you can only praise him for that.

Double round of fixtures this week which I'm sure most club footballers will be glad to see.

Interesting ties in the minor championship this week. I'll go for an Enniskilen v Tempo final.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.