Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: galwayman on June 30, 2022, 11:32:56 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 30, 2022, 11:01:11 AM
From footage I saw it was started by Comer.  For once Morgan looked innocent enough.

As for the next game, I think Derry will win handy enough.  Galway are nothing special.
For the 1 millionth time - the tv footage only showed Comer's reaction to what happened directly beforehand. That wasn't captured but clearly obvious to anyone sitting in the Cusack.

Perhaps. But at that point shown in the footage there was a few metres between him and Morgan and Comer speeded up to keep the row going. Despite much commentary to the contrary this was not some Armagh plan to start a melee. It was a couple of players jostling who carried on doing so to the entrance of the tunnel, but because of the two teams going en masse into that tunnel there was quickly a crowd there and both teams favoured the GAA All-in approach.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

If you watch the Sunday game highlights and pause on full time there's a Galway guy(comer I think) who jumps on the back of an Armagh man, couldn't understand where that fitted in the sequence of things.

Dabh

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 30, 2022, 11:45:36 AM
If you watch the Sunday game highlights and pause on full time there's a Galway guy(comer I think) who jumps on the back of an Armagh man, couldn't understand where that fitted in the sequence of things.

Pretty sure that is Rafferty

An Fhairche Abu

There are lads here who don't want to deal in the facts of what happened on Sunday, either about the off the ball stuff during the match or in terms of the melee, Comer still getting blamed for starting the whole thing when this is not what happened at all, give out about him following up on the provocation and not walking away which led to the escalation of it if you want, that's at least accurate.

Galway are not blameless as it takes two to tango etc. but the sympathy I had for Armagh due to the manner of the exit and because of the conduct of the genuine fans I met after the match is rapidly diminishing having to read outright lies and nonsense online since. Outside of the gouge itself, Sweeney's attempted punch on Tiernan Kelly as he pulled him off Comer and yerman who grabbed Glynn from behind in a dangerous head lock the rest of it was just handbags that I saw, those three should be dealt with by the GAA and we move on, the two captains should be exonerated.

I'll say no more on this thread because it's just going into a cycle of whataboutery, best of luck to Armagh, there is a fine team and players there that could improve next year in a big way, from the outside I'd think that Armagh really need to target and win Ulster as a further building block along the way for this team but that's easier said than done to be fair.

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 30, 2022, 12:19:00 PM
There are lads here who don't want to deal in the facts of what happened on Sunday, either about the off the ball stuff during the match or in terms of the melee, Comer still getting blamed for starting the whole thing when this is not what happened at all, give out about him following up on the provocation and not walking away which led to the escalation of it if you want, that's at least accurate.

Galway are not blameless as it takes two to tango etc. but the sympathy I had for Armagh due to the manner of the exit and because of the conduct of the genuine fans I met after the match is rapidly diminishing having to read outright lies and nonsense online since. Outside of the gouge itself, Sweeney's attempted punch on Tiernan Kelly as he pulled him off Comer and yerman who grabbed Glynn from behind in a dangerous head lock the rest of it was just handbags that I saw, those three should be dealt with by the GAA and we move on, the two captains should be exonerated.

I'll say no more on this thread because it's just going into a cycle of whataboutery, best of luck to Armagh, there is a fine team and players there that could improve next year in a big way, from the outside I'd think that Armagh really need to target and win Ulster as a further building block along the way for this team but that's easier said than done to be fair.
Fair enough look at the end of the day regardless of who started what it was harmless pushing and shoving bar the eye gouge and  the Galway mans (completely understandable) swing at Kelly. Didn't see the headlock to be honest.

Really hope ye get Kelly back for the semi and the very best of luck for the rest of the year. Hopefully be seeing yous again next season in Croker as well!

yellowcard

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 30, 2022, 12:19:00 PM

My recollection is that Morgan ran over to Comer to celebrate the equalising score/final whistle perhaps a bit too over exuberantly. I can't remember if he give him a shoulder barge or if it was just a bit of verbals in his face. Comer give him a bit back and then as the rest of the players descended towards the tunnel it turned into a melee. The incident if it had happened anywhere else on the field or at another stage of the game would have likely blown over without fuss. Treated on its own in isolation, it was just 2 lads having a bit of argy bargy but if people want to engage in a 'he started it, no he did' argument then they can knock themselves out.

I wouldn't blame Comer at all (or Morgan either for that matter as it was highly charged and emotional at that stage), think its mostly fans of other counties who weren't at the match trying to pin it onto him.     

tonto1888

Quote from: thebackbar1 on June 30, 2022, 07:42:39 AM
In the post match interview Kieran McGeeney posed a question back at a journalist what to you do when someone pushes you ? insinuating that the correct and normal thing to do is to push back, granted its an awful situation for Kieran to be in having to do a post match interview after losing a match, but its caveman stuff pushing someone back because they pushed you. If someone wants to start a fight with you, you do have the option of not engaging with the other person and getting drawn in to a fight. If Kieran matches the video of the melee he will see Tiernan Kelly pushing Sean Kelly who is the bigger man and doesn't push back.

Matching the melee again the way the Armagh subs came in so fast, and were double-teaming up against the Galway players in what seemed a very choreographed way.

the armagh subs were there as they were crossing the pitch with everyone else. Wise up

balladmaker

The problem with the melee was that it handed to Galway the psychological boost that they needed for extra time.  No melee and I'd have been confident of Armagh finishing it off in extra time as Galway minds must have been on the floor at that stage.  Just another example of a melee that had absolutely no benefit to Armagh whatsoever. 

tiempo

galwayman

Another guy said the same thing previously in this thread - even gave the time it happened in the clip.
And it turned out it was Rafferty jumping on a teammates back in celebration.

Armagh18

Quote from: galwayman on June 30, 2022, 12:50:13 PM
Another guy said the same thing previously in this thread - even gave the time it happened in the clip.
And it turned out it was Rafferty jumping on a teammates back in celebration.
He jumped on Rian after the free.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 29, 2022, 09:53:51 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 29, 2022, 09:36:07 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 29, 2022, 12:00:52 PM
Quote from: Dabh on June 29, 2022, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: galwayman on June 28, 2022, 09:23:51 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 28, 2022, 07:42:13 PM
While I completely agree with the above that we need to move on from the TK stuff as he's had his punishment now (and it's no Galway people here who are calling for his head), the idea that comer was the instigator is wrong and needs to stop.

Morgan, somewhat understandably in the joys of utter celebration, shouldered comer in the back and started mouthing a bit. Comer, who doesn't shy away from much to be fair, shoved back and then comer was surrounded by a few Armagh and then everyone started piling over. That's what happened and saying otherwise is starting a wrongful discussion about a player who still has to go perform in 2 weeks
100% that is exactly what happened. Anyone sitting in that area of the Cusack will say the same.

Wasn't at the game but the camera footage shown on TSG appears to tell a clear & different story. 
Morgan is mouthing something alright.. thou it looks more likely that it is at his own teammate and if it is abuse at someone from Galway then they are a fair bit away. 
Comer deliberately runs over to Morgan, starts his own bit of mouthing and instigates the shoulder dunt which is also clearly not in the back.
At that point Forker & ONeill get involved with Kelly being the next player to get involved.

You've just admitted you weren't at the game! Considering multiple Galway people and an Armagh fan have just explained on the previous page that's not what happened, has it not occurred to you that the camera's may have missed the start of it? The Morgan shoulder into Comer happened about 5-10 seconds before the part you saw when the camera panned over, which was Comer following Morgan to remonstrate. Maybe he shouldve just taken it, but as I said, he's generally not one to shy away either
I was at the game and that was my view of it at the time and it's my view of it having watched the game back. Also this one way narrative that only Morgan was at it all game is ballex of the highest order. Him and Walsh were both going at each other throughout, not long after Morgan got booked Shane Walsh had him pinned to the ground right in front of the linesman (eyes firmly painted on). Morgan was trying to get free for about 6-7 seconds with Walsh doing his best to provoke something. While the blind official eventually alerted the ref, colderick then proceeded to do absolutely f**k all about it  ::)

We definitely need to find some way to prevent threats like Morgan being illegally stopped by the likes of Walsh at various stages of a game, it's up to the referees and linesmen to do this and they have been found wanting.
I've seen Walsh get imbroiled time after time with opposition players who obviously are only trying to play the game in a fair and reasonable manner, Shane is clearly the common denominator here so it has to be him targeting the opposition corner backs for I suppose the politest way of calling it would be "treatment".

I hope the officials for the semi final grow a set of balls and stop this reign of targeted terror by Walsh against the marquee defenders we all pay the money for tickets to see. Certainly I think that these defenders have to accept that there are going to attempts to stop them by hook or by crook but its up to the officials to protect them, I sincerely hope this is sorted out for the semi final, we don't want to see Walsh getting away with his antics again.

EXcellent AFA!

A good few delusional posters when it comes to what Morgan was up to, he should have received a yellow card for his 1st foul on Walsh which would likely have stopped a lot of his nonsense throughout the game. It does look like Walsh instigated the tussle after Morgan had been yellow carded which I was delighted to see, nothing less then Morgan deserved for his antics. Spoke to one of our Armagh lads at training last night who's been marked by Morgan in championship games in the past and was surprised how much he got away with throughout the game.

imtommygunn

Morgan has been like that for years and seems to know how to get away with it. I mind one of the first times I saw him was cross against dr crokes and he was on gooch. It wasn't pretty. Walsh did well all things considered to not rise too much tbh.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 30, 2022, 01:22:19 PM
Morgan has been like that for years and seems to know how to get away with it. I mind one of the first times I saw him was cross against dr crokes and he was on gooch. It wasn't pretty. Walsh did well all things considered to not rise too much tbh.
Show me a decent ever defender who wasn't a nasty f**ker on the pitch. Philly McMahon, Francie Bellew, any Tyrone player ever etc etc.

Wildweasel74

Plenty good defenders weren't nasty, didn't have to be if they good enough,