Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: JimStynes on September 17, 2021, 08:30:35 PM
Is he that bad an option?

Grand title, what does it mean? What will his remit be ?

JimStynes

Sure he only works part time hours as he's a teacher so he'll be able to do both jobs no bother.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: JimStynes on September 17, 2021, 08:30:35 PM
Is he that bad an option?
what will b needs to explain why he is a bad option and we can have a debate bout it

John Egans left boot

One would think people who get any such role as 'director' must have success in terms of playing, but more importantly in coaching and management ? Does he ? If he does then he will get the respect, iif he doesn't then it's a disaster!! Credibility comes from success in sport

bannside

I've been a strong advocate that we need a capable  person to fulfil this function, and a strong experienced group around him to deliver the bottom line targets that makes the post or position worth fulfilling.

I'm going to wait and see how this plays out, who made the appointment, what the remit us, what is the budget, the plan around it, who else is involved.... and so on. It's not even official yet, so we are discussing something that may not even be real.

If this stacks up I will give any man my support, especially if it's done in a wholly voluntary position. If it's anything less, especially if it's been delivered on a nod and a wink then it's as good as over before it starts!

The devil is in the detail. Let's wait and see how this plays out. Plenty of time for analysis/opinion then!

bannside

Well there's another way of putting it. If it's a good gael doing this for free, then you can't say too much. If it's a paid position then the level of due diligence to find the right candidate goes to another level, as does the scrutiny of credibility, as does the performance.

I'd expect this to be provided for free. I don't think Neil Peden is being reimbursed!

This make more sense?

Sure let's not hammer away at this until the facts emerge. Early days on this development.

John Egans left boot

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 17, 2021, 10:36:26 PM
Quote from: John Egans left boot on September 17, 2021, 10:16:00 PM
One would think people who get any such role as 'director' must have success in terms of playing, but more importantly in coaching and management ? Does he ? If he does then he will get the respect, iif he doesn't then it's a disaster!! Credibility comes from success in sport
I don't disagree with your point but the question leading from your post is are we blessed with "success" in coaching & management in this county? If I'm honest, i wouldn't know what the criteria would be for a director role (apart from 1. St John's man 2. Head of PE in Rathmore  ;D) but without starting negatively it's a good step forward that we have one. Neal Pedan went into the same role in hurling and it's fair to say we have moved on in that code so hopefully we can see similar progress.
Finally, we appointed a management recently that are fairly green and who haven't yet had success (to my knowledge). They've done rightly so far.

I have no irons in the fire, seen this in the Irish news today,and the reason for my comment was what I have seen with this individual in down coaching circles is no success, has he had any school success ?? Club success with St. John's ?? I don't know these things . A DOF is a good concept but
Not working In down currently either need the right man !!

Gold

Can only be a good thing.

Anything is better than nothing
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

Look this is very straightforward. If this is a paid position the job would have been advertised, clubs would have been notified and given time to nominate, and there would be a sub committee set up to make sure the process was transparent.

I'm waiting on the detail emerging on this, the official line so to speak. Was it in today's IN? Anyone care to post it up if so?

We need this position filled badly. There's no doubt about that. That's one thing that's beyond debate!

John Egans left boot

Quote from: bannside on September 18, 2021, 12:14:16 AM
Look this is very straightforward. If this is a paid position the job would have been advertised, clubs would have been notified and given time to nominate, and there would be a sub committee set up to make sure the process was transparent.

I'm waiting on the detail emerging on this, the official line so to speak. Was it in today's IN? Anyone care to post it up if so?

We need this position filled badly. There's no doubt about that. That's one thing that's beyond debate!

It's on there Twitter feed - yes you need the position filled but by a man that is a proven loser in coaching - as I said above great idea issue is getting the right personality/ person someone with success as a player/coach is key for people to respect that person will enda mc Ginley respect him?

EOC1923

Quote from: John Egans left boot on September 18, 2021, 12:24:00 AM
Quote from: bannside on September 18, 2021, 12:14:16 AM

It's on there Twitter feed - yes you need the position filled but by a man that is a proven loser in coaching - as I said above great idea issue is getting the right personality/ person someone with success as a player/coach is key for people to respect that person will enda mc Ginley respect him?
A proven loser in coaching? Define loser. Someone who hasnt won a championship? By god theres some losers about in that case. Very harsh words by yourself.

bannside

Agree EOC. For what it's worth I judge a man's worth around a football team on one core measurement. It's where you start off and what you do with that group, and where you finish.

Plenty of good coaches didn't win plenty of silverware but clearly improved beyond recognition the way their teams played, were set up, very fit, and had them punching well above their weight.

That would be my barometer. Is James Horan a bad manager because he never won an all Ireland?

Give me a man any day who can take average players and have them playing out of their skin and maintain this over a period of time. Not a one off result. And where the next man in possibly allows the set up to revert to mediocre.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on September 18, 2021, 10:05:03 AM
Agree EOC. For what it's worth I judge a man's worth around a football team on one core measurement. It's where you start off and what you do with that group, and where you finish.

Plenty of good coaches didn't win plenty of silverware but clearly improved beyond recognition the way their teams played, were set up, very fit, and had them punching well above their weight.

That would be my barometer. Is James Horan a bad manager because he never won an all Ireland?

Give me a man any day who can take average players and have them playing out of their skin and maintain this over a period of time. Not a one off result. And where the next man in possibly allows the set up to revert to mediocre.
Yes BS agree. Without knowing the specifics I see that D.O.F role as a very different one to coaching or managing a team. G.A has a good way about him and is level headed, knows Antrim inside out has good contacts / pulling power maybe and comes with vast playing and coaching experience. So why not, all the best to him.

bannside

Another good point, and the reason why I wait to see the detail. It's all about the remit. Until we know that we are stabbing in the dark.

Creating this position is a good start. Check back a year or so, I've been advocating for this a long time.

The next challenge is to be happy that it's a meaningful plan, positively resourced, one that the club's can get fully behind, and be glad to send their better players to.

This can be a defining turning point in Antrim Football, at best. At worst it can be a PR disaster. I'm open to both positions, but await the detail before making my own call on it.

For what that's actually worth is another thing.

whatwillbwillb

It'll be Gaelic Leagues formed next within the County and then maybe an IRB revival. Well they'll have a lovely new head office in what used to be called Casement Park.