Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Definitely not the game many of us played coached and loved. Even the goalie is in the other half. For me definitely something is missing, and JMG probably hit the nail on the head in a way I can relate.

Might as well put 15 forwards on the pitch from what I can see. Take it in turns sure!

Belfast GAA man

Ask any spectators or players do they want attacking or defensive football and the answer will be attacking. Only ones who want defensive stuff is coaches looking to show who clever they r and frig the players and supporters. Jim has had his day and no longer in demand for county jobs

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on July 25, 2021, 08:09:02 PM
Ask any spectators or players do they want attacking or defensive football and the answer will be attacking. Only ones who want defensive stuff is coaches looking to show who clever they r and frig the players and supporters. Jim has had his day and no longer in demand for county jobs

Ask any players do they want to win a championship, they'll all say yes
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

Football evolves as coaches innovate.  Surely Jim gets that!

imtommygunn

I think Jim did evolve it. Dublin never had gaping holes in the centre of defense like 2012 ever again. I think he gave Jim gavin a wake up call and look what happened there lol. (To be fair I think he did evolve football too with the counter attacking).

bannside

All out defence. Then all out attack. Surely there needs to be a happy medium?

Spike

Jim is an intelligent guy but if we let him have his way then the game would cease to be an enjoyable spectacle.  There is a happy medium and Jim's version of football is nowhere near that.  Certainly as a route to alternative tactics for individual matches it is an option, but as a full time version it has had a detrimental effect on the visual and entertainment for both the player and the supporter.  Yes we want blood and guts, pressure on the kicker but as always football evolves. Conditioning and physical strength is at a level unseen in Gaelic games, long range point scoring also to name a couple, but we need to provide entertainment also and I don't see too many complaints about the hurling scoring.  Mayo vs Leitrim is a fundamentally different problem the GAA needs to look at.

imtommygunn

The football he played was great in whatever year they won it and the year they beat dublin however it wasn't sustainable. The fitness and conditioning those boys had was not at a level that anyone with demanding full time jobs could get. Also the AI final against Kerry was a tactical failure from him IMO.

Read the hurling threads and there are loads of complaints about the scoring spike lol.

Like we say there balance. Seems to have gone from one extreme to the other.

Spike

as you say it is all about balance.   I personally couldn't go back either to play in or to watch Jim's version of football.   There will always be snipers but the hurling entertainment product has been infinitely better than the football for a number of years now IMO.

imtommygunn

Football has got it all wrong tbh. The worst is it ripples through into club. I went to an antrim division three game maybe two years ago and a team getting hammered were using about 4 sweepers. The defensive systems take massive effort to get working right and the average club team wouldn't be able to do it at all.

I still love the hurling but you get complaints on anything.

Calm Down

Given the messages coming from our esteemed Chairman Mao in relation to Covid and the need for greater safety are we really going to go ahead with a round robin championship? half finished championship's would be less than ideal, round robin was great last year as we had no league but we had a league this year so cannot see the need for a round robin championship which may not finished.

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Calm Down on July 27, 2021, 10:18:41 AM
Given the messages coming from our esteemed Chairman Mao in relation to Covid and the need for greater safety are we really going to go ahead with a round robin championship? half finished championship's would be less than ideal, round robin was great last year as we had no league but we had a league this year so cannot see the need for a round robin championship which may not finished.

I wouldn't mind the county players playing more than one game for the club this year. Thats the outcome of getting beat in straight knock out championship first round. with no round robin. At best playing four games if you get to the final.

Rodger Mona

I can never understand why a few of the clubs who think they are on the cusp of winning a championship in the next few seasons would be wanting a round robin. If its for players to play in more competitive games as a learning curve then fair enough.. but the likes of Aghagallon, Caements, Johnnies should be wanting straight knock out. it means if they take a scalp there momentum could stand by them rather than having to potentially play the likes of Cargin or LD again in latter stages of championship

Dunsilly King

But there is knockout, a quater final, semifinal and final. Also and this is critical, you want some games with your own county players otherwise the split season will not work.

Calm Down

My thinking was purely based around avoiding half finished championships, look at the U20 games at the minute lots are being called off due to covid numbers peaking in their locality

As for county players getting time with their clubs, this year was (in my opinion anyway) about everyone getting football, County players have had theirs when their club mates were getting club games