Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 30, 2021, 01:43:38 PM
How many players from Antrim's only winning senior grade All winning team (the under 21's)  would get on that list? I know some didn't get the chance to play senior, as they had other things going on  ;). But was that a lost opportunity?

Crimes against human progress, several orders of magnitude bigger than a lost opportunity, the British war machine pulled the guts out of Antrim GAA for decades, would be fantastic to see some tangible output from Gaelfest and an improved showing at provincial and national level, would be a lot more heartwarming than the Dublin juggernaut continue in on its mission to blitzkrieg everyone into submission. As we know the funding of the Dubs is a scandal, other counties need to get together and stand up against it, Antrim should have been a much bigger priority for HQ in 2003 than the Dubs

Saffsof82

Quote from: bannside on November 30, 2021, 01:26:57 PM
Looks as if Justin Crozier has also called time on his illustrious county career. Thoroughly deserving of a big shout out for the many years of dedication and service he gave to the Saffron cause.

Good shout, Justy been a great servant to the county, surprised tbh he didnt get more game time last season, only a couple of minutes here and there.

bannside

Enda preferred James Laverty at six from the get go and he put some good performances to maintain the jersey.

Justy wouldn't be needing treated like that at his stage, he has declined the invitation to rejoin the squad this year. I'd say both Cargin and Antrim haven't had a more dependable centre half back for a long time. Owes the county nothing and his name will be rightly be up for consideration as one of the best to have played that position for the county.

imtommygunn

Quote from: geezer on November 30, 2021, 01:27:13 PM
Id go for Loughrey as well. Wouldnt have looked out of place in any county team.

In regards to club players it has to be sean kelly. Although i think kevin niblock was my favourite player on that galls team.

In thinking about it Loughrey actually is a great shout. He had a bit of dynamism about him that we lacked. I always liked Tony Scullion and how he went at it - not as gifted perhaps but a great servant none the less.

bannside

As for James Loughrey - probably the best footballer Antrim has produced in decades. Don't think many will dispute that.

Covered more ground than anyone on the pitch - our Jack Mc Caffrey - and was the complete team player.

geezer

CJ probably should have been the best we have seen but unfortunately just didnt work out at county level on a consistent basis. Supremely talented footballer, without doubt the best score taker ive seen in antrim club football, could split the posts from any angle.

Lár na páirce 1

Some worthy mentions here, but a man who hasn't got named as yet is the great Kevin Brady, wonderful player and played 10-15 years in the Saffron jersey also, he hadn't too many bad games either in that time.

bannside

Kevin Brady would definitely make my top 15 of the last 40 years. Class act for sure.

paddyjohn

Anto Finnegan, Martin Mulholland, Kevin Brady, kevin Madden would all make my 15.

bannside

All four would make my team too Paddy John.

Calm Down

Is your Under 20 final on this weekend MR2, cannot see any details on the County Website about venue?

antrimman667

Quote from: Calm Down on December 01, 2021, 08:36:42 AM
Is your Under 20 final on this weekend MR2, cannot see any details on the County Website about venue?
Same Balls up as per usual

imtommygunn

Is there not schools hurling on friday that balls it up a bit too if there's crossover of players? Not even sure who's in the schools hurling but could impact both teams.

Calm Down

Quote from: antrimman667 on December 01, 2021, 08:57:55 AM
Quote from: Calm Down on December 01, 2021, 08:36:42 AM
Same Balls up as per usual
Which is?

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on December 01, 2021, 07:36:11 AM
All four would make my team too Paddy John.

Great minds think alike!