Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: NAG1 on August 03, 2021, 09:07:51 AM
Quote from: bannside on August 02, 2021, 06:36:54 PM
Going back a few years I was assured the Antrim board of the day negotiated a "decent" deal on behalf of Antrim Gaels. More recent clarification would be welcome if there has been any change in this agreement in the intervening years.

BS not sure this happened. In fact was there not moves to get all say in transferred to UC which was caught on just before it was signed off.

It will become a commercial decision when it gets to be open.
The Ulster Council tried to coerce the Antrim County Board to sign over Casement to them as they were managing the project.

Antrim refused to do this as that would have them without a stadium.

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 03, 2021, 02:53:30 PM
Quote from: whatwillbwillb on August 03, 2021, 12:43:44 PM
"When the axe came into the forest the trees said at least the handle is one of us", naive of you BS it must be said. Corrigan is the new County Ground, least we forget it was Antrim Gaels that funded and built casement prk. When are they going to have the stones to announce its name change? Possibly after May next year maybe?
There will be some amount of mental gymnastics before it is all over. No better organisations than Sinn Fein and the GAA to mould the thoughts of their followers though. It'll be fine.

Cultural Renaissance at its finest, like the term mould  ;)

Belfast GAA man

who raised the do ray me to build casement in first place?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on August 03, 2021, 04:59:48 PM
who raised the do ray me to build casement in first place?

It was dundered in, it certainly needed a permanent fix up, maybe not a 35,000 seater stadium.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

I know for a fact there was a period of hardball between newly elected Antrim officials and Ulster council  to recover or improve some of the issues the previous Antrim board had neglected. And that during this period some "decent" gains were achieved. Albeit this was about 5 years ago now, as I say an update on what exactly Antrim are entitled to would be most welcome.

Does anyone here actually know or are they just pretending to be clever?

You'de expect a high degree of access to internal competition final stages at least, all home Antrim games, a few important school matches etc. I'd be highly disappointed if this was not forthcoming.

Casement is still the home of Antrim GAA, not Corrigan.

Who pays for this, and the upkeep is another matter. The devil is in the detail!

Sportacus

Quote from: bannside on August 03, 2021, 07:36:08 PM
I know for a fact there was a period of hardball between newly elected Antrim officials and Ulster council  to recover or improve some of the issues the previous Antrim board had neglected. And that during this period some "decent" gains were achieved. Albeit this was about 5 years ago now, as I say an update on what exactly Antrim are entitled to would be most welcome.

Does anyone here actually know or are they just pretending to be clever?

You'de expect a high degree of access to internal competition final stages at least, all home Antrim games, a few important school matches etc. I'd be highly disappointed if this was not forthcoming.

Who pays for this, and the upkeep is another matter. The devil is in the detail!

It's an embarrassing long running shambles and for politicians and Ulster Council officials to be taking to social media to praise themselves - well you just have to roll your eyes. I still think an 'Athletic Grounds' was all we ever needed.

BigBallWeeBall

Casement Park was originally built by a massive fundraising campaign initiated in West Belfast. The funds raised were in excess of the required amount and additional land was  able to be purchased on Shaws Road. This would later be home to Rossa, St Pauls and Sarsfields.
From the recent comments on the board it would appear that Antrim Gaels feel that they have been sold down the river. If the ownership of Casement is to be moved in totality to Ulster Council then we in Antrim have sold off the family silver.
That's a slap in the face to the original Gaels who envisaged a new home for Antrim.
Its a kick in the teeth to the youth of today

whatwillbwillb

Once again BS you show your naivety, the stadium will be run and maintained by a Management Company or SPV which is a term also used. All these events such as Soccer, Rugby, Concerts, ArdFheis, Feile an Phobail (Advice Centre/Bar etc paying rent) generate income streams, which no doubt have been included within the Business Case and New Name sponsorship which will pay for the FM of the Stadium. The Devil is in the detail, and transparency over the BC shared with Antrim Gaels should have been fundamental, after all we paid for it! Some of that income may be used to maintain our new home in Corrigan .

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 04, 2021, 07:21:26 AM
Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on August 04, 2021, 01:33:54 AM
Casement Park was originally built by a massive fundraising campaign initiated in West Belfast. The funds raised were in excess of the required amount and additional land was  able to be purchased on Shaws Road. This would later be home to Rossa, St Pauls and Sarsfields.
From the recent comments on the board it would appear that Antrim Gaels feel that they have been sold down the river. If the ownership of Casement is to be moved in totality to Ulster Council then we in Antrim have sold off the family silver.
That's a slap in the face to the original Gaels who envisaged a new home for Antrim.
Its a kick in the teeth to the youth of today
Selling the family silver is one thing. Giving it away is another. I've no sympathy at this stage. Antrim Gaels walked into this with their eyes wide open but seemingly didn't care. They deserve no better.

As regards the "good deal" bannside speaks of, one thing strikes me. The people involved in the redevelopment of Casement Park are not behind the door when it comes to giving themselves a public pat on the back at the slightest hint of a positive news story surrounding the stadium. If there was such a good deal which would invoke a positive reaction towards the stadium from Antrim Gaels, they would have been shouting it from the rooftops. Yet, in 8 years there hasn't even been the slightest whisper of it with people being fobbed off with "we've a good deal". I would suggest we don't know the detail of the deal because they don't want us to know. Certainly not at this stage anyway. That doesn't bode well.

Totally agree, the clubs have let this get away from them from day one, not holding supposed officials to account at every step who have played themselves and forwarded their own positions and agendas. If Corrigan is the new county ground and i strongly suspect it is, then the previous officials have played a blinder, bit like Linfield/IFA with Windsor Prk. Turkeys voting for Christmas

bannside

Ok, it's obvious I have a few questions to ask. Shocked if what you're saying is true.

So our politicians weren't lobbying for the greater good of Antrim Gaels all along?

You're saying the next generation of Antrim footballers are not even going to be playing there.

If there's any truth to this, then we have been fed some misinformation. It's high time all the proper information was in the hands of Antrim Gaels. Then we could know whether or not to get excited.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 04, 2021, 07:31:46 PM
Quote from: bannside on August 04, 2021, 05:19:13 PM
So our politicians weren't lobbying for the greater good of Antrim Gaels all along?
;D Give your head a wobble. Our politicians don't care a single jot for anyone but themselves. Look at the state of them bitching at each other over who has delivered this project, despite the fact that damn all has been delivered by anyone.
More than that, I reckon Sinn Fein have more skin in this game than you may think. They'll not only be expecting to dine at this trough but will have a big shout on what is being served for dinner too. If this isn't a base for a number of their lobby groups as well as FĂ©ile an Phobail I'll eat my Easter lily.

That's been obvious for years for anyone that has been paying attention & the Feile events that are in Falls Park will move to Casement
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Belfast GAA man

are we sayong St John's have lost control of their beloved Corrigan ?

Belfast GAA man

you mean the county are paying st johns for using it? be surprised at that but like u comparing st johns to Linfield! lol lol lol

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 04, 2021, 10:53:42 PM
Quote from: Wolfetones on August 04, 2021, 10:40:03 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 04, 2021, 10:03:02 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on August 04, 2021, 10:00:57 PM
you mean the county are paying st johns for using it? be surprised at that but like u comparing st johns to Linfield! lol lol lol
No, they could be taking a sizeable portion of the gate. Omagh have the same setup at Healy Park I think

No they don't. They get the pitch maintenance paid for though.
They take the half time draw too? They get bantered about such anyway.

Nearly sure there was a club that did the draw at Casement for years
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2021/08/06/news/dunsilly-floodlights-expected-to-transform-antrim-gaa-hub-2409742/

Great progress with Dunsilly. Bit by bit this is turning into an excellent asset, credit due to all involved.