Official Kerry GAA Thread

Started by Kerry Mike, February 23, 2007, 04:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

SFC round 3 replay from the weekend Final Score - Mid Kerry 1-15 Laune Rangers 1-13

Bit of a shock there seeing Killorglin beaten by their rural neighbours, still its a great resuly for Mid Kerry.

Quarter finals are down for next weekend July 15th.
Dr. Crokes v South Kerry,
East Kerry v Kilcummin,
An Ghaeltacht v Feale Rangers
Kerins O'Rahillys v Mid Kerry

Crokes v South Kerry should be a great game, but with a bit of sorting out from last years final still hanging in the air it will be hard hitting and tense. Gooch and Brosnan will star for the townies but against Declan O'Sullivan, Bryan Sheehan and Killian Young and their supporting acts of Paddy Curran, Denis Dwyer,  Ronon O'Connor , Ronan Hussey etc you would expect South Kerry to be too strong and maybe too experienced as the put their 3 in a row on the line. 
Prediction: South Kerry

East Kerry v Kilcummin will be an East Kerry derby with the provincial team able to call on veterns Seamus Moynihan and Donal Daly both of whom are still playing well. The Mike McCarthy led Kilcummin will have it all to do but I have a sneaking suspision they may prevail.
Prediction: Kilcummin

Another cracker in prospect, with many fine current and ex county players on view. The clash of Tomas O'Se and Paul Galvin will be interesting, There could be sparks flying there if they mark each other. Noel Kennelly has been in fine form for Rangers and Emmets and if he scores well An Ghaeltacht could be in trouble, MArc O'Se will have his hands full. Rangers will also have Eamon Fitzmaurice and Brendan Guiney to call on but with the O'Se's , O'Cinneide and the other experienced Ghaeltacht lads should see them home.
Prediction : An Ghaeltacht

Great win for the Mid lads over the Laune but I think Rahillies will be too strong, With Mike Quirke, Declan Quill, Tommy and Barry Wash and David Moran, Rahiliy's are building the nucleaus of a fine young team.
Mid Kerry can call on the speed and class of Sean and Darren O'Sullivan but it may not be enough
Prediction: Kerins O'Rahillys
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

brokencrossbar1

Kerry Mike, I am in Killarney for the weekend thsi week.  Are any of the games on there?

Kerry Mike

BC1: The only one I am aware of is:
Senior County Championship Q/F Sat. July 14th
Dr Crokes V South Kerry @ Killorglin

Will let you know about the rest.

East Kerry v Kilcummin will probably be in Fitzgerald Stadium , 2 teams close to Killarney

An Ghaeltacht v Feale Rangers and Kerins O'Rahillys v Mid Kerry will probably be in Austin Stacks Park in Tralee.

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

SuperDooperCooper

South Kerry v Dr. Crokes: The game of the weekend is undoubtedly Crokes v South Kerry. Would love to be at it but unfortunately can't make it.
Crokes have lost some players to the US of A the biggest loss being Bryan McMahon.If Crokes are to get the monkey of South Kerry off their backs then now has to be the time. A full round of county league matches and east Kerry championship matches must mean that Crokes are more cohesive than South Kerry. South Kerry have to start as favourites but I'm tipping Crokes to win with a bit of magic from the Gooch (to make up for the wide in last years Co Final).

East Kerry v Kilcummin - saw Kilcummin first hand in the exciting 0-6 to 0-6 draw with Currow in the O'Donoghue cup, on that basis they have no hope. Interesting to see how Michael O'Donoghue from spa goes against Mike Mac. O'Donoghue the star of the Kerry minor in '05 and my tip to make the Kerry seniors next year and excellent forward with the ability to score off both feet. East Kerry for me.

Saw Feale Rangers knock out St Kieran's in Listowel and they didn't impress at all. Galvin was injured that night but a lucky break for the first goal and a shot for a point that dipped under the bar was all that separated the teams in the end. I'm a Ghaeltacht fan and rate their final loss to Caltra as the biggest disappointment I've ever had in Croke park (logic being if Ghealtach could win a club title why can't Currow). I think they will win this easily. Galvin tussle with Tomas worth the admission alone.

Strand road are putting together a nice team, they even had Brian Moran to come back into the squad. Mid Kerry have a well balanced if not exciting team. Jacko's son Aiden really impressed in the last game talk is that he is now in training with the seniors. Rahilly's will have too much I'd say.

Murt Murphy (journalist with the examiner) gives a very biased review of the weekend action every Monday morning at 10:35 - 11:00 on Radio Kerry. It is generally a comprehensive round up with a few Murtism thrown in for good measure. The radio Kerry link is http://www.radiokerry.ie/index1.php. He will go through all the games in detail. Fully enough I have a meeting blocked booked in my calendar for this time every Monday morning ;)

SuperDooperCooper

Three of Kerry's Munster Minor Football Championship runners-up side have been thrown off the Kingdom panel after a bout of indiscipline.

The trio are alleged to have been involved in two separate incidents of public disorder in the early hours of the morning following the Munster final in Killarney at the start of the month.

Their departure was revealed to county delegates at a board meeting, when chairman Sean Walsh addressed the gathering.

"As a result of information received concerning an affray on the night/morning of July 1st/2nd 2007, three members have been excluded from the Kerry minor football panel," Walsh said in a statement to those in attendance.

"These incidents were not concerned with team matters or functions. They are civil matters for civil authorities and therefore no further statements will be issued by county board or team management until the matters has been concluded by the appropriate authorities."

Kerry Mike

Sounds very serious if the guards are involved.

We were very poor against Cork in the Munster final and these off-the-field activities will not help team morale for the 1/4 finals.

Anyway will be interesting to see how this story develops.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

magickingdom

two seperate assults in killarney involving kerry minors so i'm hearing.

mitchels are in the last chance saloon this sunday against milltown. they cant keep surviving...

SuperDooperCooper

Quarter-finalists will be depleted

There are six teams in Kerry SFC quarter-final action this weekend and most of them will be blow full strength on the day.

The biggest clash is that of county champions South Kerry and Munster champions Dr Crokes on Saturday evening at Killorglin a repeat of the 2005 and 2006 county deciders.

South Kerry will be without 2006 county minor Paddy Curran, who has gone to American for the summer, while Crokes must plan without current Kingdom minor Jamie Doolan, who is out of action for four-five weeks with a hand injury.

Another county minor, Patrick Curtin, picked up a knee injury in the Munster MFC final and will miss Feale Rangers' meeting with An Ghaeltacht in Tralee on Sunday (7.30).

On the same bill, Kerins O'Rahillys are hoping Declan Quill can recover from a hamstring injury in time to face Mid Kerry in Sunday, while James Nagle is also a major doubt for John Evans' side. This one has a 6.00 throw-in.
=========================================
Shame about Paddy Curran, I felt he should have been brough into the county senior set up over the summer.

Kerry Mike

A huge result for South Kerry over the weekend beating the the 2nd best club team in the country for the 3rd year in a row in the Kerry SFC. Declan OSullivan and Bryan Sheehan controlled the game, and its sets up South Kerry well for a crack at the 4th in a row county title.

Also Feale Rangers beat An Ghaeltacht with Paul Galvin turning in a great performance. Kerins O'Rahillys drew with Mid Kerry after a very late Declan Quill point, Havent heard the other result. Looks like Declan and Paul will be nailing down the wing forward slots for the Kingdom if they keep up these displays.

Dr Crokes' hopes go south (From The Examiner)
Monday, 16 July 2007

South Kerry 1-16 Dr Crokes 1-10,

SOUTH KERRY remain firmly on course for a fourth consecutive Kerry SFC title following this superb victory over All-Ireland Club SFC finalists Dr Crokes in a keenly contested quarter-final at the splendid Killorglin venue on Saturday.
It was a repeat of last year's county final, but not as tight, with a superbly drilled divisional side magnificently led by their two of their four county players, Declan O'Sullivan and Bryan Sheehan, producing a marvellous display of controlled football which a jaded Crokes side couldn't match.

Picked as leader of the attack, O'Sullivan must have covered every inch of the ground.

When the pressure came he was back behind his half-back line, beginning moves in his own defence, and was on the end of them on occasions, scoring two superb points.

It was a brilliant all-round display by the county captain and one which Kerry coach Pat O'Shea will be delighted with, even though it was his club that were on the wrong end this time.

Bryan Sheehan was also majestic for South Kerry. Like his county colleague, he too roamed the length and breath of the pitch, preventing scores and creating them.

Little wonder South Kerry manager Pat McCrohan was delighted with his charges.

"Divisional teams are always very difficult to prepare because of club and county activity, but this particular group of players are totally committed," he said.

"They want to go down as one of the greatest teams in the history of the Kerry county championship. The four-in-a-row is not beyond us after this display."

Crokes were a disappointment. They never could stamp their authority on the game; never played with the same fluency which took them to provincial club honours last year and were almost totally dependant on Colm Cooper for scores.

Despite being closely marked by his inter-county colleague Killian Young, 'Gooch' managed to register 1-5, but he lacked support with only Kieran O'Leary capable of posing any real threat.

The teams were level three times in the opening quarter, but South Kerry looked threatening every time they attacked, and were rewarded with a goal in the 16th minute by Aidan O'Sullivan, who was allowed through unimpeded.

O'Sullivan's influence on the game was inspiring and the ease with which he and his namesake Aidan carved open the Crokes defence was seen to great effect in the 18th minute when Declan got through, only to be denied by the crossbar.

It was a huge let-off for the Killarney club side, who hit back with three points in a row, one a magnificent effort by Cooper, and the half time deficit of five points at 1-9 to 0-7 did not seem intimidating.

Crokes were in need of a goal, however, and after the sides exchanged points it finally came, controversially, in the 45th minute.

Cooper wormed his way in along the end line before shooting high into the roof of the net, but while one umpire pointed to the goal flag, the other hesitated until the referee came in and, after consultation, awarded the score.

It left just three points between the teams and when Ambrose O'Donovan added a great point, the game was there for the taking.

South Kerry lifted their performance and closed the game with a succession of points to remain on course for that fourth successive title.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

magickingdom

....and michels drew to survive as senior for another week anyway. feale rangers beating an ghaeltacht was a big shock but on the day they should have won by more. with crokes gone now kerry wont have their 'best' club team in the club championship.

Kerry Mike

If Mid Kerry over come Rahillys in the replay and East Kerry beat Kilcummin in the last 1/4 final next weekend there will be 4 divisional teams in the semis and there will have to be play off's amoungst the losing club teams from the 1/4 finals to determine the Kerry representative in the Munster club championship.

Its a bit of a mess and could create 3 extra games to be played off but them are the rules if a divisional team cannot play in the Munster or AI club. Would have loved to see South Kerry taking a crack at the best in the country over the last few years.

Has the Club championship been scrapped for senior clubs? Dont remember this being played last year, and it used to produce a Kerry Representative in Munster if a Divisional team won the SFC.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Ball Hopper

Kilcummin beat East Kerry by a point, 8 to 7.  Mike Mac missed a penalty.  Poor game overall.

Kerry Mike

Good result for Kilcummin but low scoring and the Examiner report was of a poor game. I dont think the draw for the Semi finals has been made and the Rahillys v Mid Kerry replay did not go ahead at the weekend.

South Kerry, Feale Rangers, Kilcummin, and either Mid Kerry or Kerins O'Rahillys in the semis, anyone know when the drae is on and are down for decision, will they sqeeze a round in next weekend?
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Ball Hopper

County League next weekend, KM.

SuperDooperCooper

Kerry minor team for Sunday named with the three brave boys from the Munster final are all left off.
We badly need an underage win at this stage but I fear it is not going to be this year. This looks to be one of the poorest Kerry minor sides in many a day.
KERRY (MF v Tyrone) –
T Mac an tSaoir; D O'Sullivan B Shanahan, B Russell; I Somers, B O'Leary, P Costello; J Buckley, W Guthrie; M Ó Sé, C O'Shea, JB Spillane; T O'Sullivan, B J Walsh, E Kennedy.

And in case nobody knows, the Draw for the county semi final is:
Kilcummin v Feale Rangers
South Kerry v Mid Kerry / Kerins O'Rahillys
Feale Rangers v South Kerry final I'd say.
It would be intersting who would represent Kerry in the Club championship.