Author Topic: ANTRIM HURLING  (Read 5413122 times)

maxpower

• View Profile
Re: ANTRIM HURLING
« Reply #39540 on: July 11, 2021, 04:47:04 PM »
Decision making was poor yesterday, Darren has made great strides in this aspect of the game but will take more work from many more people

I go to loads of underage games and I see mentors shouting instructions to the man in possession all the time - this is the problem, we arenít coaching our players to make decisions for themselves on the pitch.  What we should be doing (imho) is letting the players make their own decisions on the pitch and providing/discussing learnings after

As I say that is just a small piece of a much bigger jigsaw that involves the number/quality of coaches, availability of suitable games, school ties, third level ed and development squads

What happens next????

up the rovers

• View Profile
« Reply #39541 on: July 11, 2021, 05:17:30 PM »
I was talking to someone involved with the minors, apparently 3 lads tested positive for Covid and some of the others had to isolate as close contacts. Leinster council were asked for a postponement but refused and put Antrim into the lower competition. :-\
Precedent set by the Leinster council, I wonder would it happen to Kilkenny or Galway?

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #39542 on: July 11, 2021, 06:31:07 PM »
That adds up a bit more. I didnít think we had a fielding issue.

Thatís disgraceful if that is how it panned out. Shows little respect for the lower tier either.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #39543 on: July 11, 2021, 06:36:00 PM »
I was talking to someone involved with the minors, apparently 3 lads tested positive for Covid and some of the others had to isolate as close contacts. Leinster council were asked for a postponement but refused and put Antrim into the lower competition. :-\
Precedent set by the Leinster council, I wonder would it happen to Kilkenny or Galway?

No offence but should have drafted lads in

groundlie

• View Profile
« Reply #39544 on: July 11, 2021, 08:48:42 PM »
Did they not run with a huge panel this year? I heard there was 100+ over the winter training.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #39545 on: July 12, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »

Thatís disgraceful if that is how it panned out. Shows little respect for the lower tier either.

All these competitions are being run off on a week by week basis so there was probably no free slots and these lads would have had to isolate for 10 days.

Down now play Meath this Saturday with the final the following wednesday night.

Why not invite other lads into the panel? You'd be no worse off.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #39546 on: July 12, 2021, 10:20:17 AM »

All these competitions are being run off on a week by week basis so there was probably no free slots and these lads would have had to isolate for 10 days.

Full Celtic Challenge panel to bring lads in from

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #39547 on: July 13, 2021, 09:07:22 AM »

Was there not something about "tier 1" counties not being allowed to play lads in the Celtic Challenge and also the championship proper (Leinster in this case) ?

If they'd have pulled lads from the Celtic Challenge panel those lads then could no longer play in the Celtic Challenge..

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #39548 on: July 13, 2021, 12:43:30 PM »

Was there not something about "tier 1" counties not being allowed to play lads in the Celtic Challenge and also the championship proper (Leinster in this case) ?

If they'd have pulled lads from the Celtic Challenge panel those lads then could no longer play in the Celtic Challenge..

Possibly but you would like to prioritise minor team over Celtic Challenge if you have the 2 teams. We only enter u17 Celtic Challenge, its our level

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #39549 on: July 13, 2021, 02:29:53 PM »

Possibly but you would like to prioritise minor team over Celtic Challenge if you have the 2 teams. We only enter u17 Celtic Challenge, its our level

Derry aren't tier 1 and IIRC can play the same squad in both the Celtic Challenge and the respective championship.

Down have done it for a few years pre covid.

clootfromthe21

• View Profile
« Reply #39550 on: July 14, 2021, 10:08:25 AM »
U20 game not going too well :(

4-27 to 0-7 FT Wasnít expecting that sort of beating

Laois seem to have given Kilkenny their fill of it in the Under 20s last night - lost by 3 having led for 3/4s of the game.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #39551 on: July 14, 2021, 11:04:43 AM »
U20 game not going too well :(

4-27 to 0-7 FT Wasnít expecting that sort of beating

Laois seem to have given Kilkenny their fill of it in the Under 20s last night - lost by 3 having led for 3/4s of the game.

Kildare, Laois, Carlow, Meath and Westmeath putting in a lot of work underage.

Big men, close to hurling heartlands. Watched our u20s last night v Donegal, Donegal were very poor, played with sweeper from the beginning

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #39552 on: July 14, 2021, 11:09:06 AM »
You should probably be playing a level up from that fear. Derry tend to be strong enough underage but just drop off at senior. (Though I suspect having such successful minor football teams this past few years has been detrimental to the hurling mind you)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #39553 on: July 14, 2021, 12:16:37 PM »
You should probably be playing a level up from that fear. Derry tend to be strong enough underage but just drop off at senior. (Though I suspect having such successful minor football teams this past few years has been detrimental to the hurling mind you)

B is strong enough this year though, Down and Meath will be hard to beat. Yes you are right, the u20 football and minor football team are littered with really good hurlers. Some clinkers there.
I think the experience against Kilkenny few years back at A was painful
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 12:19:38 PM by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe »

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #39554 on: July 15, 2021, 09:35:54 AM »
Antrim Minor hurlers beat Carlow by a point last night in the Peadar O Liathain cup. 1-13 to 1-14

Down play Meath this Saturday in the same competition.