Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on July 26, 2021, 08:48:53 AM
Any info on the two Div1 games last week? Heard Mayobridge were mightily impressive all over the park, with Shane Annette, Kevin McClorey and Corey Quinn impressing...Corey racking up 3-6

Rostrevor are a poor enough for Division 1...and when a couple of the old guard call it a day I think they'll struggle massively...they will be thankful of the free pass for another year in Div 1.

Any word on the Kilcoo/Ford game? Expected that to be a tanking tbh...5pts is much closer than most people would've thought...Did Kilcoo have an experimental team out?

Some good games to look forward to over the next few weeks...Burren will be the one to watch this year

Kilcoo coasted through the game in third gear, it will be interesting to see what the Burren game will be like this week.

Truth hurts

I see on Down website that the Down u17 team play Tyrone tomorrow night, does anyone know what the team is or what clubs are represented? There is nothing on social media about this as all the media seems to be around the u20.
Are Burren still the stand-out team at minor level?

Centre 3/4

CPN able to play a friendly this week but calling off their league game. The league is no relegation so don't understand why they won't play.

upandwin

Quote from: Centre 3/4 on July 27, 2021, 03:53:27 PM
CPN able to play a friendly this week but calling off their league game. The league is no relegation so don't understand why they won't play.

Probably due to the fact Burren asked to postpone the game more than anything I'd imagine...hardly rocket science that one

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on July 27, 2021, 03:58:21 PM

Probably due to the fact Burren asked to postpone the game more than anything I'd imagine...hardly rocket science that one

Why would Burren postpone a game?

Centre 3/4

Quote from: upandwin on July 27, 2021, 03:58:21 PM

They were due to play Carryduff not Burren

upandwin

They were due to play Burren last Friday....Burren asked to postpone because of close contact for Covid and their U20s unavailable (They Asked to postpone before relegation announcement)

Carryduff CPN game was called off by County Board along with all other league fixtures because of the U20 final (Again before the announcement by County Board)

I assume clubs playing Thursday or tonight have done that now not really too bothered about the result, just wanting to get the show on the road etc...

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on July 21, 2021, 12:48:28 PM
Anyways for a bit of lighthearted craic, what do you all think predictions for the leagues would be this year if all squads were full out? I'd go for the following:

DIV1:

Kilcoo
Burren
Clonduff
Mayobridge
CPN
Loughinisland
Carryduff
Ballyholland
Rostrevor
Bryansford

DIV2:

RGU
Castlewellan
Longstone
An Riocht
Glenn
Bredagh
Darraghcross
Saul
St Johns
Annaclone

Div3

Liatroim
Drumgath
Ballymartin
Saval
Shamrocks
Clann Na Banna
Tullylish
Bosco
Aughlisnafin
Attical
Teconnaught

Don't know enough about Div4 to even have an opinion...

Div1

Carryduff
Kilcoo
Burren
Mayobridge
Warrenpoint
Clonduff
Louginisland
Ballyholland
Rostrevor
Bryansford

SHEEDY

Big hammering tonight for U17s against Tyrone in championship, 0-9 to 3-16.
nil satis nisi optimum

SamFever

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 28, 2021, 09:11:53 PM
Ah well,sure the cookery and baking exercises went well in the build-up. 8)
Can't blame Stevie P for this one.

redandblackareback

A day in the life of Down GAA, first we have the announcement of a new 5 man panel to pick the next Down manager but everyone knows only one name on that 5 man list will make the final call. Then we have the news that planing permission has been passed for our much needed center of excellence.

But to finish the day off in true Down fashion we go and get one of the biggest drubbings we have ever taken in underage championship, what an utter farce. Look at the great men who were overlooked for this job, hard questions must now start being asked and answered about the selection process, how the likes of Carr, Linden, Walsh, Hughes, were overlooked for this role is confusing. One of the biggest questions though has to be about our games manager, what progress are we making or what progress have we made with him in charge of development for over a decade now?

Johnnysboys

Quote from: SamFever on July 28, 2021, 10:14:03 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on July 28, 2021, 09:11:53 PM
Ah well,sure the cookery and baking exercises went well in the build-up. 8)
Can't blame Stevie P for this one.

Cookery/Baking exercises - what's that about???

Stevie p would have had a few of these lads on panel last year so it more than likely is still his fault!!!

Johnnysboys

Quote from: redandblackareback on July 28, 2021, 11:30:57 PM
A day in the life of Down GAA, first we have the announcement of a new 5 man panel to pick the next Down manager but everyone knows only one name on that 5 man list will make the final call. Then we have the news that planing permission has been passed for our much needed center of excellence.

But to finish the day off in true Down fashion we go and get one of the biggest drubbings we have ever taken in underage championship, what an utter farce. Look at the great men who were overlooked for this job, hard questions must now start being asked and answered about the selection process, how the likes of Carr, Linden, Walsh, Hughes, were overlooked for this role is confusing. One of the biggest questions though has to be about our games manager, what progress are we making or what progress have we made with him in charge of development for over a decade now?

Who is on the 5 man panel???

thewobbler

Since 2009 (our last Ulster minor final... correct me if I'm wrong), we've tried just about every type of manager at this level. And (again, correct me if I'm wrong - but I'm not far away), none of them has won more than a single Championship match in a row.

It would kind of suggest that the problems maybe aren't beginning 8-12 weeks before championship.

Johnnysboys

God the father(Sean Og),the Son(wee JackJohn) and the Holy Ghost(Barney McAleenan) plus a few Disciples(Mark Poland-hired hand) and Benny McArdle( current "past-it" County player)
[/quote]

My oh my.. Barney McAleenan - surely he will be pushing an agenda with Niall in the frame to be part of the setup??? Mark Poland and Benny McArdle - what is that about...

Jim Gavin better answer his phone when they come calling!!!

Internal appointment - Conor Deegan, Micky Walsh, Niall McAleenan, Justy Lynch, Shane Mulholland, Conleth Gilligan as coach..

Still be in division 2 and unless we get Kilkenny in the back door - championship will be 2 games...