GAA attendance 2021

Started by joemamas, June 09, 2021, 03:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

With the 2021 Championship about to get underway in both codes, wanted to open the discussion about potential attendances. As of now the "powers to be " are saying that All-Ireland at the end of August may have 25k in attendance.

Don't really want to turn this blog into a pissing contest about shabby vaccine rollout, which looks like it is as much an EU issue as much as an Ireland issue.
However, can somebody explain, that as it stands now, you will be able to go to Castlebar on July 24th, (assuming Mayo are in it) and be able to watch the game in a hotel, restaurant or a pub while having a pint, but you may not be able walk up the town and watch the Connaught final in an outdoor stadium, even though you have been vaccinated.

Has anybody questioned the GAA hierarchy in Croke park, the civil servants/ Govt who are deciding on attendance policies, and more importantly what science are they basing their allowed attendance on.

Not sure of % attendance of UK events.
Current examples of attendances in US. Btw, no masks whatsoever required at in bars and restaurants.
There were 135k at the Indianapolis 500 two weeks ago. Outdoor event.
NBA indoor attendance as of this week.
https://www.sportstravelmagazine.com/which-nba-teams-allow-fans-this-season-covid/

Back to Ireland. Just got this info on line.
As of a few days ago, there were three million vaccines administered, (2MM first doses)one could safely assume that in six weeks' time there will be at least another million plus vaccinated.
Most experts agree .It is pretty much impossible to get the virus if you are vaccinated and in an outdoor environment.

A little more analysis,
Population of Ireland is 5MM
Excluding 1MM under age of 14= 4MM
Right now 2MM have gotten one dose. If in six weeks another Million get a first shot, that would bring total to at least 3MM.
4MM divided by 3MM is = to 75% of population over 14 that will have received one dose.

All puzzling to say the least. Hoping common sense will prevail and let folks who are vaccinated and want to attend games to do so. I have no problem going onto a GAA website and providing proof of same and wearing a mask if that is required also.

armaghniac

There is a case for people in big stadia, there should be no TV games allowed in pubs. They have it arseways.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Am I right in saying currently 500 in 6 Cos and 200 here for Inter County?.
Pilot games here in rugbyball and soccerball seems to be 10% of capacity.
I'd hope, for selfish reasons that would rise to 20 or 25% for Ros/Galway game on 4th July.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Could we not have provincial finals in croke park to accommodate more supporters ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on June 09, 2021, 03:42:40 PM
There is a case for people in big stadia, there should be no TV games allowed in pubs. They have it arseways.
Are you joking? No games in pubs?

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 10, 2021, 08:15:40 AM

No, I am not joking.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on June 10, 2021, 11:55:27 AM

No, I am not joking.
Aw here...

Cunny Funt

He has a strong point. Packed pubs watching a match is far more likely to spread the virus than outdoors in a 20k plus stadium.

Rossfan

Don't disagree Cunny but can't see the GAA pulling the plug on live coverage.
Can't see the Government closing pubs again unless there's major outbreaks of Covid.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2021, 02:43:59 PM
Don't disagree Cunny but can't see the GAA pulling the plug on live coverage.
Can't see the Government closing pubs again unless there's major outbreaks of Covid.

Which as Armaghniac points outs they have things arseways

Rossfan

Am I reading it right that there will be no limits to outdoor gatherings in the North from 21st June? ( other than capacity of venue)
Does that include sports fixtures?

joemamas

Quote from: joemamas on June 09, 2021, 03:34:07 PM
With the 2021 Championship about to get underway in both codes, wanted to open the discussion about potential attendances. As of now the "powers to be " are saying that All-Ireland at the end of August may have 25k in attendance.

Don't really want to turn this blog into a pissing contest about shabby vaccine rollout, which looks like it is as much an EU issue as much as an Ireland issue.
However, can somebody explain, that as it stands now, you will be able to go to Castlebar on July 24th, (assuming Mayo are in it) and be able to watch the game in a hotel, restaurant or a pub while having a pint, but you may not be able walk up the town and watch the Connaught final in an outdoor stadium, even though you have been vaccinated.

Has anybody questioned the GAA hierarchy in Croke park, the civil servants/ Govt who are deciding on attendance policies, and more importantly what science are they basing their allowed attendance on.

Current examples of attendances in US. Btw, no masks whatsoever required at in bars and restaurants.
https://www.sportstravelmagazine.com/which-nba-teams-allow-fans-this-season-covid/

As of a few days ago, there were three million vaccines administered, (2MM first doses)one could safely assume that in six weeks' time there will be at least another million plus vaccinated.
Most experts agree .It is pretty much impossible to get the virus if you are vaccinated and in an outdoor environment.

A little more analysis,
Right now 2MM have gotten one dose. If in six weeks another Million get a first shot, that would bring total to at least 3MM.
4MM divided by 3MM is = to 75% of population over 14 that will have received one dose.

All puzzling to say the least. Hoping common sense will prevail and let folks who are vaccinated and want to attend games to do so. I have no problem going onto a GAA website and providing proof of same and wearing a mask if that is required also.

Decided to follow up on this one, especially relevant as the Championship begins next weekend.
so read that as of this morning 3,434,053 doses have been distributed.
The govt stats show this at;
60% one dose
31% fully vaccinated.

Apparently over 900k new doses are set to arrive here in the next two weeks, with existing 300k current weekly vaccinations, that would give over 1.2MM additional vaccinations in next three + weeks. That would make over 4.6MM that will have been distributed.
At that point close to 70%% of the adult population will have one vaccine, not sure how many will be fully vaccinated.

How can the powers to be, I suppose Dr.T (etc) not acknowledge that it is pretty much impossible to get Covid if you are fully vaccinated, in addition, the chances of you passing it to someone else are similarly low. One small point, someone may mention to the D4 crowd, GAA games last time I checked are in outdoor stadiums.
To summarize, 50% of the population could be fully vaccinated, show proof, wear a mask and the maximum capacity for GAA games is 20-25%, and that is for the All-Irelands nine weeks out from here. You know what, on July 25th five weeks from yesterday, as someone who is fully vaccinated, I would take my chances that if Mayo are in the Connacht final, I would attend.
I would love for some Debbie Downer Dr, or WHO expert to debate me on the subject that it is not safe to attend an outdoor event if you are vaccinated.

Last night at MSG in NY, there was an indoor rock concert, you had to show you were fully vaccinated to attend. As I watched the news reports, I could not but reflect on the asinine rules still in place in Ireland.
"On Monday last , the governor of NY said he would lift virtually all remaining COVID restrictions once 70% of adult New Yorkers have at least one vaccine dose. As of Tuesday, 68.9% of them have had at least one job, Cuomo says CDC data shows.
Baseball stadiums are back to full capacity, i.e. folks can go to a game and have some long missed fun.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: joemamas on June 21, 2021, 06:49:10 PM
Quote from: joemamas on June 09, 2021, 03:34:07 PM

A little more analysis,

Decided to follow up on this one, especially relevant as the Championship begins next weekend.
so read that as of this morning 3,434,053 doses have been distributed.
The govt stats show this at;
60% one dose
31% fully vaccinated.

Apparently over 900k new doses are set to arrive here in the next two weeks, with existing 300k current weekly vaccinations, that would give over 1.2MM additional vaccinations in next three + weeks. That would make over 4.6MM that will have been distributed.
At that point close to 70%% of the adult population will have one vaccine, not sure how many will be fully vaccinated.

How can the powers to be, I suppose Dr.T (etc) not acknowledge that it is pretty much impossible to get Covid if you are fully vaccinated, in addition, the chances of you passing it to someone else are similarly low. One small point, someone may mention to the D4 crowd, GAA games last time I checked are in outdoor stadiums.
To summarize, 50% of the population could be fully vaccinated, show proof, wear a mask and the maximum capacity for GAA games is 20-25%, and that is for the All-Irelands nine weeks out from here. You know what, on July 25th five weeks from yesterday, as someone who is fully vaccinated, I would take my chances that if Mayo are in the Connacht final, I would attend.
I would love for some Debbie Downer Dr, or WHO expert to debate me on the subject that it is not safe to attend an outdoor event if you are vaccinated.

Last night at MSG in NY, there was an indoor rock concert, you had to show you were fully vaccinated to attend. As I watched the news reports, I could not but reflect on the asinine rules still in place in Ireland.
"On Monday last , the governor of NY said he would lift virtually all remaining COVID restrictions once 70% of adult New Yorkers have at least one vaccine dose. As of Tuesday, 68.9% of them have had at least one job, Cuomo says CDC data shows.
Baseball stadiums are back to full capacity, i.e. folks can go to a game and have some long missed fun.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this.

The 'Delta variant' will put the kibosh on a lot of things. Tony H is already warning about it. ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Is mask wearing compulsory at matches?
Were an awful lot of unmasked Biffos in Croker Saturday!

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on June 21, 2021, 10:02:30 PM
Is mask wearing compulsory at matches?
Were an awful lot of unmasked Biffos in Croker Saturday!

Yes going by the government guidelines but I'd question why. That was a test event and test events across Europe has no mask wearing instead they test all before and after events. England at the weekend allowed moshing at a 10,000 rock concert and it's a country full of the 'Delta variant I might add.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose