Drought

Started by seafoid, August 23, 2022, 10:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

This is climate change .

https://www.ft.com/content/2c10693b-49f2-40db-a0c0-b46e3f706dbf

Almost half of the EU remains under drought conditions, an EU agency has said, with the weather set to remain hotter and drier until November.
This will compound fears about crop shortages and energy supply in a continent already hit by a significant reduction in gas flows from Russia.
"The combination of a severe drought and heatwaves has created an unprecedented stress on water levels in the entire EU.

tiempo

Climate change is nothing new.

Milltown Row2

We live on a planet that's mainly water so:

"Humans cannot drink saline water, but, saline water can be made into freshwater, for which there are many uses. The process is called "desalination", and it is being used more and more around the world to provide people with needed freshwater"

Is this a difficult expensive thing to do?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2022, 09:43:04 AM

"Humans cannot drink saline water, but, saline water can be made into freshwater, for which there are many uses. The process is called "desalination", and it is being used more and more around the world to provide people with needed freshwater"

Energy intensive I'd have thought.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 24, 2022, 09:45:07 AM

Stop giving me problems, I only want solutions  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2022, 09:48:07 AM

Well that big yellow thing in the sky does most of the work evaporating the salty sea and returning it to us as lovely drinkable rain.

Problem is that we don't get to decide where that rain falls and in some cases when it does, it's torrential, runs right over the ground, bursting river banks, back into the salty sea.

European infrastructure is geared up for an abundance of rain so efficiency was never a problem, now it is.

UK water system leaks millions of litres a day and no one gives a fúck. No better over here, either side of the border.

Better start giving a fúck.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 24, 2022, 10:07:35 AM

Well that big yellow thing in the sky does most of the work evaporating the salty sea and returning it to us as lovely drinkable rain.

Problem is that we don't get to decide where that rain falls and in some cases when it does, it's torrential, runs right over the ground, bursting river banks, back into the salty sea.

European infrastructure is geared up for an abundance of rain so efficiency was never a problem, now it is.

UK water system leaks millions of litres a day and no one gives a fúck. No better over here, either side of the border.

The amount of leaks in a normal household his crazy and yet we do nothing to stop that.. Maybe if we put a meter in homes that will get people to take it seriously

imtommygunn

Homes not the major problem - sure mind that "big freeze" when it got to -13. There were leaks everywhere. Our water system in the north anyway is hanging together. I was speaking to a boy who works in it and he said the amount of money to even just sustain it is crazy.

trailer

Water meters and Water bills needed in NI. Our infrastructure has been under invested in for years.
UK needs to nationalise it's water companies and start investing it's profits rather than dishing out bonuses.

A few simple changes that will make a huge difference.

imtommygunn

Simple but wouldn't happen under tory rule.

Yeah we need water rates is the reality.

J70

Not just Europe. The southwestern US is in the midst of the worst drought for 1200 years. Lake Meade ( which supplies CA, Las Vegas etc) is at its lowest level since it was originally filled in the 30s. And more and more people are moving to that part of the country.

Same in Utah where the Great Salt Lake is drying up. Much less recharge due to lack of winter precipitation, and then they're drawing far more from it than it can handle, most of which is going to support agriculture in a desert. And as it dries out, all the heavy metals that were deposited over the years from mining and industry are being released into the air and becoming inhalation hazards for people.

And then you have the people who insist not only that man-made climate change isn't real, but that they also MUST have nice green lawns and golf courses in their desert environments.

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2022, 10:14:32 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 24, 2022, 10:07:35 AM

The amount of leaks in a normal household his crazy and yet we do nothing to stop that.. Maybe if we put a meter in homes that will get people to take it seriously

Pretty sure I've read some stat where it was noted that over 90% of leakage occurred in the network and not in homes

So that would really only be a sticky plaster and reeks of nailing the little man cos he's an easy target

seafoid

Quote from: tiempo on August 24, 2022, 09:20:06 AM
Climate change is nothing new.
It's not at equilibrium. It continues to deteriorate.
Trees dropping leaves in July is a sign of chaos.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11137387/Britains-drought-sparks-false-Autumn-experts-warn-phenomenon-impact-wildlife.html
The unexpected seasonal shift shows the effects of an exceptionally hot and dry summer - also known as a 'false autumn' - which experts say has pushed trees into 'survival mode' all over the UK.
As a result of the stress, trees have been prematurely shedding or changing the colour of their leaves to conserve water and energy in a bid to survive the weather.

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on August 24, 2022, 10:23:24 AM
Water meters and Water bills needed in NI. Our infrastructure has been under invested in for years.
UK needs to nationalise it's water companies and start investing it's profits rather than dishing out bonuses.

You know rightly where that debate ends up.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 24, 2022, 12:24:55 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 24, 2022, 10:23:24 AM

You know rightly where that debate ends up.

Would water 'charges' be in your rates bill? So putting a meter is will reduce (I hope) your rates bill, but as pointed out by a few, the loss in your house to leaks is minimal