Retirement age of inter-county players?

Started by Eamonnca1, January 03, 2014, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

The problem with what you're suggesting there is that counties could take the hit for individual indiscretions.

Say a dozen to 16 lads from Down started "filling the void" be meeting each other every Tuesday and Thursday morning for a training session.

Would this count as the "rules being broken"?

themac_23

Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2021, 05:32:21 PM
The problem with what you're suggesting there is that counties could take the hit for individual indiscretions.

Say a dozen to 16 lads from Down started "filling the void" be meeting each other every Tuesday and Thursday morning for a training session.

You can't really stop people doing what they want with their free time, what I'm saying is that if the managers aren't getting paid and the players aren't getting their expenses, is there the appetite to have extra training? And outside the big counties would there be the sponsors to fire money at it on the sly? That's why I think the 2nd tier comp would be a great chance to trial it, I'm sure county boards would be happy with it and players would be more than happy with it. Like anything, it takes a brave decision to change what's currently going on

twohands!!!

Quote from: themac_23 on April 25, 2021, 08:06:02 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2021, 05:32:21 PM

You can't really stop people doing what they want with their free time, what I'm saying is that if the managers aren't getting paid and the players aren't getting their expenses, is there the appetite to have extra training? And outside the big counties would there be the sponsors to fire money at it on the sly? That's why I think the 2nd tier comp would be a great chance to trial it, I'm sure county boards would be happy with it and players would be more than happy with it. Like anything, it takes a brave decision to change what's currently going on

Of course if a dozen to 16 lads from Down started "filling the void" be meeting each other every Tuesday and Thursday morning for a training session, it would count as breaking the rules.
The fact that your team-mates would get punished if a couple of lads break the rules increases the incentive to follow the rules.
This is about collective intercounty training sessions, so I would have no problem with collective responsibilty and collective punishments.
Tell the players - if you break the rules, it's not just you who will be punished, but your team-mates as well and I'd imagine it would help massively with compliance.

In terms of stopping people doing what they want in their free time, if lads want to play in the GAA competitions, then they have to follow the GAA rules.

It would be pretty much the same as the current rule around inter-county teams collective training out of season.

QuoteCollective training: Collective training is where one or more player(s) is/are required to be at a specific place at a specific time on a specific date.

Inter-County panels may return to collective training and/or games for the following year on a timetable determined annually by the Central Council.

As part of the COVID rules, last year intercounty teams were strongly advised to have a maximum of 3 collective training sessions (or 2 training sessions and a game) per week.

I'm sure the vast majority of intercounty teams have records on each individual player's training loads/attendence/number of gym sessions/what GPS trackers are recording at training etc.

Simply bring in a rule that each intercounty team has to provide Croke Park with access to this data to audit the amount of training each county is doing.

I'd imagine that this would be a relatively simple way to monitor this rule and give all the teams a good level of confidence that other teams aren't getting an advantage by sneaking extra sessions [I'd say the odds of teams trying to play silly buggers with this kind of data would be fairly remote]