Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 01:56:57 PM
At the start I didn't like mcconville but now I think he is probably the best about. Brolly isn't really an analyst. He's only there for entertainment.

There's nothing entertaining about Brolly.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: BennyCake on June 09, 2021, 03:00:54 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 01:56:57 PM
At the start I didn't like mcconville but now I think he is probably the best about. Brolly isn't really an analyst. He's only there for entertainment.

There's nothing entertaining about Brolly.

he is a knob

yellowcard

Quote from: Taylor on June 09, 2021, 02:03:43 PM
Brolly would never have expected that from McConville given how he waxes lyrically about Cross at every opportunity.

McConville said at the start when he was going into punditry he was going to tell it how it is - he certainly did there.

Expect Brolly to mark his card now and have a pop at Cross/McConville at some stage down the line.

Entertaining

I think he already started the process during the interview. By making the claim that John McEntee was Armaghs best ever footballer, I think this was probably an attempt to rile McConville up. I don't think Brolly really believes this, fine footballer though he was. It was either another attempt to grab a headline or just to draw a reaction from McConville.   

Brolly is remarkably thin skinned for a man who likes dishing it out as we seen recently with the RTE litigation case. McConvilles straight out criticism of Joe will not sit well with him, I have never heard any other pundit attempt to take him on in this manner. The fact that McConville is now getting a lot of work off RTE just as Brolly was disposed of, will only add salt into the wounds. This could well provide copy for another couple of Sunday columns in the months ahead though.

In saying all that I don't take Brolly seriously at all and that is why I find him entertaining and I actually agree with what he is saying in this instance. I can make up my own mind on what I am watching so I don't need the guidance of these 'expert' pundits/coaches on TV and radio who take themselves much too seriously. Yes, there are certain things that you can see whilst present at a match that you can't from your armchair but by and large the standard of analyst on RTE is not great. Entertainers they certainly aren't, a lot of them are so wooden that the analysis is like the ad breaks where you end up taking an extended toilet break. Far too much political correctness, cliches and statistics. Ironically Sky have gone slightly in the other direction recently particularly when it comes to soccer and it is much for the better as I actually look forward to some of the analysis now more than the actual matches.         

imtommygunn

Tbh sometimes you have to think that Brolly's mental health isn't the best and I don't mean that as a slight on him - it's a genuine observation. There is just so much with him which just makes you wonder.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 04:01:36 PM
Tbh sometimes you have to think that Brolly's mental health isn't the best and I don't mean that as a slight on him - it's a genuine observation. There is just so much with him which just makes you wonder.

I think you are correct, and I sort of feel bad now for calling him a knob, but id say hes definitely not well

rodney trotter

He said before stuff from his childhood haunted him. The British Army came and wrecked the house they were living and took his father away, kept in Long kesh for 3 years.

shawshank

I despair for some of you, reading the stuff some of you write. You take yourselves all to seriously where as Brolly doesn't take himself seriously at all. He's genuine in that it's entertainment. Brolly leads a life of listening to and defending in the criminal courts. Can you imagine the people he has met, spent time with and defended. That's his day to day stuff. Things you can't comprehend. Context is everything in life. For Brolly this is escapism. It's entertainment. It's not the real world

yellowcard

Quote from: shawshank on June 09, 2021, 04:41:15 PM
I despair for some of you, reading the stuff some of you write. You take yourselves all to seriously where as Brolly doesn't take himself seriously at all. He's genuine in that it's entertainment. Brolly leads a life of listening to and defending in the criminal courts. Can you imagine the people he has met, spent time with and defended. That's his day to day stuff. Things you can't comprehend. Context is everything in life. For Brolly this is escapism. It's entertainment. It's not the real world

I think there is some truth in that. For Brolly he sees the GAA as his entertainment and release from the day to day stuff. For many of the other pundits the GAA and punditry is at least a large part of their career and this comes across in the punditry where they see it as more of an occupation.

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2021, 03:57:44 PM
I think he already started the process during the interview. By making the claim that John McEntee was Armaghs best ever footballer, I think this was probably an attempt to rile McConville up. I don't think Brolly really believes this, fine footballer though he was. It was either another attempt to grab a headline or just to draw a reaction from McConville.   

McEntee's were both good players, but they wouldn't be spoken of in terms of Armagh's greatest. Oisin would be up there. Maybe not as skilful as McDonnell, or have the drive/leadership of McGeeney/McGrane etc, but he stood up on the big occasions when it mattered. Brolly knows McConville isn't going to say he was the greatest Armagh player. Very petty from Brolly. Not recognising the contribution Oisin made over the years.

QuoteBrolly is remarkably thin skinned for a man who likes dishing it out as we seen recently with the RTE litigation case. McConvilles straight out criticism of Joe will not sit well with him, I have never heard any other pundit attempt to take him on in this manner. The fact that McConville is now getting a lot of work off RTE just as Brolly was disposed of, will only add salt into the wounds. This could well provide copy for another couple of Sunday columns in the months ahead though.

Classic narcissistic trait - fragile self-esteem. Puts others down to make himself feel more superior.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

But why belittle people

imtommygunn

Yeah it's the personal attacks. Let's not forget that's why he is out of RTE and he was warned. He wasn't a victim from one incident here.

The political stuff should have been separate and they didn't seem to seperate it mind you but I dunno what he wants to achieve here.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 09, 2021, 05:49:12 PM

But why belittle people
Exactly. A few years ago, Monaghan was in an Ulster final. Best player Tommy Freeman was injured but played with a strap on his right hand. Seems he drove a Hilti nail into his palm. Brolly kept sniggering about this for the whole match. O'Rourke and Luster kept quite but Brolly didn't notice they weren't responding. As puerile a performance as I ever saw from him. 
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

yellowcard

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 07:56:50 PM
Yeah it's the personal attacks. Let's not forget that's why he is out of RTE and he was warned. He wasn't a victim from one incident here.

The political stuff should have been separate and they didn't seem to seperate it mind you but I dunno what he wants to achieve here.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/no-regrets-from-rte-chief-mcbennett-over-axing-of-controversial-pundit-brolly-39487035.html

It was primarily down to a change in the head of RTE sport and his change away from personality based pundits to more game based analysis. Has the standard of pundit on RTE improved since the new head came in, I don't think so. I watched the Ireland match last night and didn't tune into the analysis yet this used to often be the best entertainment of the night. Wondering what Dunphy and Giles would say and how Bill knew how to press their buttons.

I do get the fact that some people want stats based analysis and information on KPIs but if I want that type of information I'll sign up for a coaching seminar. It just doesn't interest me.

imtommygunn

I thought I had read somewhere it was due to personal attacks - tried to find it but couldn't. Entertainment is well and good but questioning the likes of gough's (it was gough wasn't it?) integrity, the attack on cavanagh, grimly, the Marty Morrisey comment, there was mcgeeney stuff in there etc all combined were a bit too far.

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2021, 08:51:04 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 07:56:50 PM

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/no-regrets-from-rte-chief-mcbennett-over-axing-of-controversial-pundit-brolly-39487035.html

It was primarily down to a change in the head of RTE sport and his change away from personality based pundits to more game based analysis. Has the standard of pundit on RTE improved since the new head came in, I don't think so. I watched the Ireland match last night and didn't tune into the analysis yet this used to often be the best entertainment of the night. Wondering what Dunphy and Giles would say and how Bill knew how to press their buttons.

I do get the fact that some people want stats based analysis and information on KPIs but if I want that type of information I'll sign up for a coaching seminar. It just doesn't interest me.

Yeah I agree. I don't want to hear that Galway have fisted the ball 548 times and the Mayo midfielder has ran 24 miles. It's the score that matters. I don't want to hear all that other shite. But I also don't want to listen to Brolly either