Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: general_lee on May 22, 2021, 09:31:20 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 22, 2021, 12:39:03 PM
So Sinn Fein a whopping 9 points ahead of the nearest rivals, Alliance and DUP. Looks like Michelle O Neill is poised to take the First Minister post next year unless something earth shattering happens in the next 12 months.
A potentially historic moment for northern Nationalists is around the corner. This will be an interesting year.
Sinn Fein will be renaming the posts Joint-first minister. Unionists never had it in them to call it that from the start.

Possibly yes.
Jim Allister isn't taking the poll well at all

https://tuv.org.uk/tuv-proposal-to-prevent-possible-sinn-fein-first-minister/

Tony Baloney

Posts will collapse Stormont before SF get the big post.

RedHand88

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 22, 2021, 10:15:49 PM
Posts will collapse Stormont before SF get the big post.

And then what? I cant see Boris or Dublin being sympathetic to their plight.

Armagh18

Quote from: general_lee on May 22, 2021, 09:31:20 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 22, 2021, 12:39:03 PM
So Sinn Fein a whopping 9 points ahead of the nearest rivals, Alliance and DUP. Looks like Michelle O Neill is poised to take the First Minister post next year unless something earth shattering happens in the next 12 months.
A potentially historic moment for northern Nationalists is around the corner. This will be an interesting year.
Sinn Fein will be renaming the posts Joint-first minister. Unionists never had it in them to call it that from the start.
As tempting as it would be to rub the DUP's nose in it, fair play to SF. Although the way it's going the joint minsiters could be Michelle and Naomi rather than Edwin!

armaghniac

Alliance can become first minister if they get the most votes, but if one or other of the designated parties get FM then Alliance can't get DFM.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Sinn Fein being against the new property tax in the South is another example of their populist bullshit.

Rossfan

It's only being amended.
I presume they have abolished those Rates on houses in Nationalist Council areas in the North.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on June 02, 2021, 02:00:06 PM
It's only being amended.
I presume they have abolished those Rates on houses in Nationalist Council areas in the North.

I got my rates bill from Conor Murphy's department last week anyway.

balladmaker

Quote from: trailer on June 02, 2021, 02:44:00 PM
It's only being amended.

Got mine yesterday .... absolute joke how its all calculated based on value of property .... bins emptied the same as everyone else, have access to the same council leisure facilities as everyone else, have no idea what justifies the rates based on property value.

Rossfan

LPT here is based on house values too.
I think most of us in Ros will still be paying the minimum €90 pa.

balladmaker

Try paying a couple of grand a year and more.

skeog

Rates bill gone up from 920 to 995 not a problem as services have to be paid for. Pearse Doherty giving out well his 3000 sq foot abode would be about 2500 under Conor up here

Rossfan

Ahhh but you get free Doctor ;)
Not that we get much out in the sticks... an odd bit of road surfacing maybe.
Townies get paths, parks, street lights etc better maintained since LPT came in.

balladmaker

Quote from: skeog on June 02, 2021, 03:17:48 PM
Rates bill gone up from 920 to 995 not a problem as services have to be paid for. Pearse Doherty giving out well his 3000 sq foot abode would be about 2500 under Conor up here

That's the hypocrisy of the situation.  SF/DUP passed our current rates structure in the north, and it misses the point that because someone's house has a certain valuation does not mean they can afford to pay an exponential rates bill e.g. 3 bedroom house on a housing estate would come in around £400 a year ... 3 bedroom 3000 sq foot house outside the town around the 2000+ mark at least .... some difference for the same service being provided to both houses.

RedHand88

Quote from: balladmaker on June 02, 2021, 02:59:56 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 02, 2021, 02:44:00 PM
It's only being amended.

Got mine yesterday .... absolute joke how its all calculated based on value of property .... bins emptied the same as everyone else, have access to the same council leisure facilities as everyone else, have no idea what justifies the rates based on property value.

Same as any tax, its weighted so the well off pay more than the lesser off.