Striking (Punching)

Started by Truth hurts, October 25, 2021, 10:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Yes both clubs would have not great reputations within the county , I just think that punching someone full belt on the head should merit more than a one game ban.

imtommygunn

Agreed. It sits uneasy with me at times tbh that things you would do in the street would involve jail time or prosecution yet if you do them on a football field it's not that big a deal.

general_lee

Quote from: charlieTully on October 25, 2021, 11:37:09 AM
Quote from: general_lee on October 25, 2021, 11:34:17 AM
It's always the same clubs involved. In Armagh there is little surprise when you hear of a match involving certain clubs having a bit of boxing or being abandoned. I'm sure it's the same in other counties, am I right in saying there was a video doing the rounds last year or the year before of ballyholland? And they're at it again yesterday?

No point handing out individual sanctions, easy to find loopholes and overturn. Punish the clubs collectively

I take it you didn't see the videos doing the rounds. Big kilcoo sub midfielder was the one doing most of the swinging.
I saw the videos alright maybe unfair to single out ballyholland as Kilcoo are no angels either but point still stands, there are clubs in every county who seemingly act like tramps year in year out and don't face any proper punishment.

The Trap

Years ago players and teams were severely punished......long suspensions.....I mean 3, 6 and 12 month bans to players and Clun pitches closed......nowadays there are big rows and nothing seems to happen. Bigger punishment for black card infringements.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: The Trap on October 25, 2021, 12:42:15 PM
Years ago players and teams were severely punished......long suspensions.....I mean 3, 6 and 12 month bans to players and Clun pitches closed......nowadays there are big rows and nothing seems to happen. Bigger punishment for black card infringements.

It depends on club and where you are from .

The Trap

It will take a serious injury or worse to make the authorities sit up and take notice. Even the media seem reticent to cover these incidents or to follow up on possible sanctions.

nrico2006

Where on twitter?

People who punch should get a year ban, simple as that.  Cowardly act as nobody is really expecting a punch on the pitch.  I have been hit from behind a few times myself, but throughout my whole playing career never swung a punch at anybody. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Truth hurts

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 25, 2021, 03:45:03 PM
Where on twitter?

People who punch should get a year ban, simple as that.  Cowardly act as nobody is really expecting a punch on the pitch.  I have been hit from behind a few times myself, but throughout my whole playing career never swung a punch at anybody.

Search Kilcoo on twitter and it should be there

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 25, 2021, 03:45:03 PM
Where on twitter?

Have had the odd dirty Joe back in the day! side of the head punch, course both get sent off, all I was doing was defending myself!! Referees eh!! See nauthin
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

You can increase suspensions all you want but until you clean up the rule book and clubs/counties continue to appeal even the most blatant red cards nothing will change.

I don't think there's a sport in the world were indiscipline is ignored and so many suspensions overturned on ridiculous technicalities and the actual sending off offence is ignored

Jeepers Creepers

Don't worry about looking for it on Twitter, it's been on utv live.

Wildweasel74

Between Derry few weeks bck and Donegal and Down Championships yesterday's it's about time the Gaa brought in strict rules and suspensions against this sort of crap. Fight involving mentors and subs / automatic suspensions followings years championship.Any Sub onto the field, 6 months from the start of the following season. Sub onto the field and strikes 1 year. Supporters onto the field I think is a 2yr suspension already. Major on field fights involving just players suspend the clubs for 6 months, play all league games away from home. Come down hard on them, they get the message sooner or later. That big lad from Kilcoo was a disgrace looking at the TV report.

imtommygunn

The TV companies tend to be all over it too. It is not a good look.

Wildweasel74

They do it cause there no comeback. Certain teams have too much influence on County boards, so the ruling on place for certain events needs to be In. Stone and come from Croke Park but they too worried about upsetting the certain cash cow and not enforcing the rules which ain't severe enough. I remember my own club getting I. Something like seen this weekend and got the pitch closed for a year, fined and the club suspended at all levels for 6 months. They appealed and dud get the underage level suspension reduced.