Dental work / Cost

Started by bennydorano, June 04, 2021, 03:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

I was recently quoted £2,000 for a solitary tooth implant for a molar. I unfortunately had work like this done in my 20s by the same practice and it was available as an NHS / part payment option. Now they apparently can't do this type of work and can only refer you on, same parent company surprise surprise. At least the Dentist had the decency to look embarrassed when I snorted my derision and gave him a bit of a quizzing. I could go to Turkey and get a Dick Emery set for that ffs.

JimStynes

Is that the standard cost across the board or just in your own dental surgery. Some dough all the same.

bennydorano

I've no idea and I'm going to do a bit of investigating, but I honestly went in expecting a quote of 400odd. The change since the practice was bought up by a bigger outfit is very noticeable.

JPGJOHNNYG

£2000 is about the going rate for an implant. Go to Turkey and it will be cheaper however big warning anything goes wrong and the local dentists won't touch it so you have to go back to Turkey to get it fixed, repaired,maintained etc

JPGJOHNNYG

By the way implants have only ever been available on the NHS for certain special cases so maybe it was a post crown you had done in the past which would be much cheaper

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on June 04, 2021, 08:10:09 PM
I've no idea and I'm going to do a bit of investigating, but I honestly went in expecting a quote of 400odd. The change since the practice was bought up by a bigger outfit is very noticeable.

A crown is £400, and an implant needs a crown. I'd say £2000 is par for the course. Important to ensure that a good job is done rather than a cheap one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

2k for implant is the going rate here.  Same implant is approx. 600 in Turkey.  I know two different people who went to Turkey, both went over twice.  Some job, with any aftercare issues (don't think they had any) being offered via a dentist in Dublin.

Tony Baloney

I could be facing similar as I have been referred on by my own dentist to South Down Dental Clinic in Newry and when I looked it up online, it doesn't appear that there will be anything cheap about it. Turkey doesn't sound like a bad option and might see if they can throw a hair transplant in too  ;D

JoG2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 05, 2021, 08:37:34 AM
I could be facing similar as I have been referred on by my own dentist to South Down Dental Clinic in Newry and when I looked it up online, it doesn't appear that there will be anything cheap about it. Turkey doesn't sound like a bad option and might see if they can throw a hair transplant in too  ;D

Have a listen to the Tommy, Hector and Laurita podcast where Hector talks about planning his hair transplant... Some craic!

tintin25

Do you need to replace it?  I had a back molar pulled out a couple of years ago...would hardly notice it's gone

Very few practices are NHS these days

bennydorano

My gap isn't visible (top deck) nearer the front than back, but the teeth either side feel vulnerable to me, plus I've been doing most of my eating on the opposite side of my mouth and I think that causes problems of it's own eventually.

There's an NHS option of a Denture, unsurprisingly the Dentist wasn't recommending it - but I'd imagine it would be fairly dung tbh.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on June 05, 2021, 09:46:40 AM
My gap isn't visible (top deck) nearer the front than back, but the teeth either side feel vulnerable to me, plus I've been doing most of my eating on the opposite side of my mouth and I think that causes problems of it's own eventually.

There's an NHS option of a Denture, unsurprisingly the Dentist wasn't recommending it - but I'd imagine it would be fairly dung tbh.

Just get it done!! Good friend of mine got whole top deck done, 12 grand, looks great
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Jaysus have we all become that vain!! Implants, adult braces, teeth whitening! Haven't been to a dentist in 10 years and no need to. Sure as I say this I will get busted at football later and lose a tooth  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 05, 2021, 10:07:28 AM
Jaysus have we all become that vain!! Implants, adult braces, teeth whitening! Haven't been to a dentist in 10 years and no need to. Sure as I say this I will get busted at football later and lose a tooth  ;D

I hadn't been to dentist since before I was married (22 years) wife and kids joined new practice a while back and it was a family deal, so made an appointment for check up, one filling! Must have saved myself a fortune over the years!

Regular brushing, I'm 3 or sometimes 4 a day, floss the odd time too, might do the whitening due to the red wine lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

I was going to get an implant and it turns out that there were complications preventing me doing so. I'd pay the 2k in a flash if I was rid of the other issues.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B