Working from Home?

Started by macker15, May 19, 2021, 10:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

tintin25 - even when you get 2nd vaccine you can obviously still get Covid and transmit it, I assume your elderly parent is fully vaccinated ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 06, 2021, 08:03:35 AM
Moving to Tyrone soon but continuing to work in the outskirts of Belfast. Managed to negotiate 1, possibly 2 days a week from home. It's not the kind of job where wfh 5 days is possible due to the practical nature of some elements of it.

My commute is going to be about 55mins and there's a baby on the way so I'm delighted to cut the days down. Was working out, each day of the week where I work from home saves about £500 on fuel over the year.

Been reading elsewhere about how productivity is higher at home. Even the manager said this who tends to do a few days a week themselves. Have others found this?
Definitely higher at home for me as I work in an open plan area at work so more distractions. I have also been working longer hours and from chatting to people at work most people seem to be working to the time they used to get home at, not the time they left at.

tintin25

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 06, 2021, 09:56:35 AM
tintin25 - even when you get 2nd vaccine you can obviously still get Covid and transmit it, I assume your elderly parent is fully vaccinated ?

Yes, they have both vaccines.

tintin25

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 06, 2021, 10:05:22 AM
Moving to Tyrone soon but continuing to work in the outskirts of Belfast. Managed to negotiate 1, possibly 2 days a week from home. It's not the kind of job where wfh 5 days is possible due to the practical nature of some elements of it.

My commute is going to be about 55mins and there's a baby on the way so I'm delighted to cut the days down. Was working out, each day of the week where I work from home saves about £500 on fuel over the year.

Been reading elsewhere about how productivity is higher at home. Even the manager said this who tends to do a few days a week themselves. Have others found this?
Definitely higher at home for me as I work in an open plan area at work so more distractions. I have also been working longer hours and from chatting to people at work most people seem to be working to the time they used to get home at, not the time they left at.

Definitely get more done at home myself but everyone is different.  Others can't differentiate between work/home and need to be the office.  I'd rather work until 6pm in my own home than be an office until that time in the city centre, that's for sure.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: tintin25 on June 06, 2021, 10:51:36 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 06, 2021, 10:05:22 AM

Definitely get more done at home myself but everyone is different.  Others can't differentiate between work/home and need to be the office.  I'd rather work until 6pm in my own home than be an office until that time in the city centre, that's for sure.

Absolutely more productive from home. I clock in and clock out at the same time as I would in work but take a shorter lunch break. Converted the garage to an office so my work and home life are differentiated. Still have the water cooler chats but as it's over MS teams I can i ignore the call and then arrange a time for the chat. More control over the day. We are currently slowing reintegrating back to the office but my plan is to go max 2 days a week. I'm in hearings 2-3 days a week anyway so wouldn't be in the office anyway.

seafoid

I have been working from home since March 2020.
Productivity is better.  If meetings are pointless you don't have to stay in a meeting room. You can get other work done.

Making your own lunch is another advantage. I don't miss the crisps.
One disadvantage is that I only talk to people in my team or in management calls. I used to chat to other people in real life pre WFH.

I'm lucky to have a job suited to WFH
.i feel sorry for people working in airlines, the hotel sector etc.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bigarsedkeeper

trailer

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on June 08, 2021, 09:50:31 AM
Quote from: macker15 on June 08, 2021, 09:09:00 AM
Leo push for earlier return to office

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tanaiste-leo-varadkar-pushing-for-early-returnto-officesin-august-40513640.html

Office block landlords need people back in their buildings, that's the big driving force there

I think shops in City Centres could be doing with footfall. Landlords won't really care. Office space will be repurposed if it becomes vacant.
Personally I think working from home is shite. You be bored stiff. Don't get me wrong a day a week is grand... but long term no chance.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: trailer on June 08, 2021, 09:52:28 PM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on June 08, 2021, 09:50:31 AM
Quote from: macker15 on June 08, 2021, 09:09:00 AM
Leo push for earlier return to office

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tanaiste-leo-varadkar-pushing-for-early-returnto-officesin-august-40513640.html

Office block landlords need people back in their buildings, that's the big driving force there

I think shops in City Centres could be doing with footfall. Landlords won't really care. Office space will be repurposed if it becomes vacant.
Personally I think working from home is shite. You be bored stiff. Don't get me wrong a day a week is grand... but long term no chance.

I'd agree. It didn't do it for me either but I don't have much of a commute. If I was still doing an hour each way I might be looking at it differently.

NAG1

Last couple of points are the main crux of this whole debate.

There needs to be that flexibility for those who want to return to the office and for those that dont.

Most people have proved that the work can actually be done remotely and there is no real need for the office full time at least. But there are also people who need the office for more than just work purposes, it is their social life and they need the interaction.

Employers need to work with staff to accommodate both as far is possible.

imtommygunn

The ones that won't are the ones with too manay managers who just want to try and control their workers... Needs to be trust. It's harder to micro manage too when people are WFH. (Though can be done no doubt)

tc_manchester

Quote from: gallsman on May 21, 2021, 10:27:06 AM
Your commute is two hours each way?
I live in Newbridge and work in Ballsbridge - leave the house at 7 to drive to the railway station - get 7.20 train to Grand Canal Dock - get into work about 08:40. Leave at 5 and get home at 6:50 so essentially 12 hours away from home.

Jeepers Creepers

We'll be returning in July and going foward it will be a minimum of 1 day or a maximum of 3 days in the office. Permanently going forward.

Captain Scarlet

Survey in my place again and it's 2/ 3 days max in the office for the vast majority.

Anyone who had a big commute would prefer 2 days at home. Even if it was all midweek in work and Monday and Friday at home. The micro-managers probably don't like it though.

Was just chatting too re workplace bullying. Surely it is down as the little aggressions tend to be face to face and they can't do that online as freely.

Like if you can do your job well wherever you are that's the main thing.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.