Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Louther on May 25, 2021, 01:47:52 PM
Southgate waiting to make the big decisions and named a 33 man squad before dropping to 26 next week after the EL and CL finals.

With 33 has included a few that reckoned won't make it like TAA.

Think he the only manager to do this yet.

Portugal squad looks very strong on paper.

FFS he better pick TAA or we'll never hear the end of it.

Louther

Quote from: johnnycool on May 25, 2021, 01:56:35 PM
Southgate waiting to make the big decisions and named a 33 man squad before dropping to 26 next week after the EL and CL finals.

The word is he isn't going to. And can't see him taking 4 Right backs.

Will put massive pressure on before tournament.

johnnycool

Quote from: Louther on May 25, 2021, 01:59:39 PM

Better hope I get a decent signal from Louth so that I can watch the England games on RTE then!!

lurganblue

Finally realised the Dier is exactly that...

J70

Quote from: Louther on May 25, 2021, 01:59:39 PM

I feel a bit sorry for Southgate on the right back issue. He can't win. He has five right backs playing with top clubs. Wan-Bissaka didn't even make the provisional squad and he's arguably the best out and out defender of the lot.

Personally, I would take TAA, even if not as first choice, as he's a great offensive weapon to have and would provide great service for someone like Kane. You just have to cover him when he goes forward.

As a Liverpool fan though, I'd be happy enough for him not to go as I'm sure he, like many of the Liverpool squad, could use a month off.

imtommygunn

He offers something very few right backs do. He is very susceptible to being caught out but offensively he's great. I noticed Lineker saying on twitter he reckoned he would be better up the field a bit - I'd agree.

trueblue1234

I hope he doesn't take him. But it is absolutely madness not to. For his range of passing and attacking threat. He took a dip earlier in the year but has been really strong the last 5-10 games. Instrumental in Liverpool's recent form.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

gawa316

Quote from: J70 on May 25, 2021, 02:16:02 PM
As a Liverpool fan though, I'd be happy enough for him not to go as I'm sure he, like many of the Liverpool squad, could use a month off.

That's what I keep trying to tell myself but taking the red tinted glasses off, it would be a travesty for TAA not to go on a personal level. That squad is not made up of world class players bar maybe Kane, I don't see how Southgate can leave out a player of TAA's passing, crossing, and overall ability to create chances...and he is also a pretty decent defender!

Taylor

Quote from: gawa316 on May 25, 2021, 03:04:54 PM

That's what I keep trying to tell myself but taking the red tinted glasses off, it would be a travesty for TAA not to go on a personal level. That squad is not made up of world class players bar maybe Kane, I don't see how Southgate can leave out a player of TAA's passing, crossing, and overall ability to create chances...and he is also a pretty decent defender!

If you are a defender going to the Euros you have to be better than pretty decent - he is a liability at the back and will leave you exposed against top quality teams.

However his range of passing and crossing  is unmatched in the England squad.

Southgate really is in a catch 22

From the Bunker

Quote from: Taylor on May 25, 2021, 03:28:13 PM

If you are a defender going to the Euros you have to be better than pretty decent - he is a liability at the back and will leave you exposed against top quality teams.

Trent is the type of offensive defender you need when you are 1-0 down going into the last 15 minutes .

Captain Obvious

The English squad will be as strong as any in the competition. Some good players will not make the cut. Unlikely to win it though with Southgate in charge.

Taylor

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 25, 2021, 03:46:05 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 25, 2021, 03:28:13 PM

Trent is the type of offensive defender you need when you are 1-0 down going into the last 15 minutes .

If you are not creating chances in the game.

But if you are creating chances and just not finishing them he would not be called upon.

Which means he probably wont get in the squad.

Armagh18

England have some forward line- Mount Rashford, Sancho, Grealish, Foden, Greenwood, Sterling- only 2 or 3 of those will start assuming Kane up front.

It's a good job their defence and midfield is shite. Maguire is some loss.

trileacman

Goalkeepers Dean Henderson, Sam Johnstone, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale

Defenders Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Ben Godfrey, Reece James, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ben White

Midfielders Jude Bellingham, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse

Forwards Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Mason Greenwood, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Ollie Watkins

Funny how all England's quality is concentrated up front and how shite they are in MF, DF and GK. That's a shocking choice of keepers and Pope is little better. No harm but only Walker is in the same class of RB as TAA, his defensive frailties are overstated by the media. Bar the Real Madrid goal there's hardly another goal I could think he's to blame for. Who's the starting centre half's there? Mings and Stones? Jesus no wonder Gomez was starting for England. Mings is a walking liability.

No harm but are Henderson (who won't go due to injury), Rice and Prowse the only MF who can play centre mid? To my count there's 13 forwards named in that 33 man squad
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Armagh18

Quote from: trileacman on May 25, 2021, 05:27:42 PM
Goalkeepers Dean Henderson, Sam Johnstone, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale

Defenders Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Ben Godfrey, Reece James, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ben White

Midfielders Jude Bellingham, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse

Forwards Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Mason Greenwood, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Ollie Watkins

Funny how all England's quality is concentrated up front and how shite they are in MF, DF and GK. That's a shocking choice of keepers and Pope is little better. No harm but only Walker is in the same class of RB as TAA, his defensive frailties are overstated by the media. Bar the Real Madrid goal there's hardly another goal I could think he's to blame for. Who's the starting centre half's there? Mings and Stones? Jesus no wonder Gomez was starting for England. Mings is a walking liability.

No harm but are Henderson (who won't go due to injury), Rice and Prowse the only MF who can play centre mid? To my count there's 13 forwards named in that 33 man squad
Dean Henderson is a decent keeper but probably won't start. Slab is top class but may or may not be fit. That midfield is brutal