Leaving Neverland - a documentary on sexual abuse

Started by Main Street, March 08, 2019, 11:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

For the most part  the 4 hour HBO documentary is a gripping account of 2 boys and their family's journey through the experience of being sexually abused in the full glare of pop stardom. It starts with the initial grooming, the obsessive nature of the grooming, the manipulation of the family, the lure of pop stardom, the sexual abuse itself, the self denials, the lies, the repression of the abuse trauma, the damaging psychological effects of the trauma, finally the shit hits the fan and whole families have to deal with the aftermath of the truth of what had been really happening all those years to the children in the company of Jackson.
As a piece of filmmaking  it's a brilliant documentary on sexual abuse, unparalleled.

It's also an indictment of a pedophile who just happens to be the world's most popular musician. But most rational people who were aware of signs of pedophilia and had examined the existing evidence, had already concluded to a reasonable certainty that Jackson was a pedophile and that his obsessive interest in children had a sexual attraction.

He had admitted to playing and sleeping with children separately in a remote room locked away in a basement. He was openly obsessed with children who were ever present in his life. The children (7 year olds) engaged in highly sexualised dance routines with him publicly on stage. Jackson's personality was evidently damaged and tales of abuse inflicted upon him as a child were many.
He had been dogged by persistent allegations of sexual abuse. The strongest evidenced case was bought off before it came to court with US$22m. Now the picture of the pedophile is fully formed.

Jackson's legacy will be stripped away from public life. Endorsing Jackson in public in any form will forever be associated with endorsing sex abuse pedophilia.  Every public image of Jackson will be removed, his wax images will be melted. Good riddance.

J70

Quote from: Main Street on March 08, 2019, 11:52:08 AM
For the most part  the 4 hour HBO documentary is a gripping account of 2 boys and their family's journey through the experience of being sexually abused in the full glare of pop stardom. It starts with the initial grooming, the obsessive nature of the grooming, the manipulation of the family, the lure of pop stardom, the sexual abuse itself, the self denials, the lies, the repression of the abuse trauma, the damaging psychological effects of the trauma, finally the shit hits the fan and whole families have to deal with the aftermath of the truth of what had been really happening all those years to the children in the company of Jackson.
As a piece of filmmaking  it's a brilliant documentary on sexual abuse, unparalleled.

It's also an indictment of a pedophile who just happens to be the world's most popular musician. But most rational people who were aware of signs of pedophilia and had examined the existing evidence, had already concluded to a reasonable certainty that Jackson was a pedophile and that his obsessive interest in children had a sexual attraction.

He had admitted to playing and sleeping with children separately in a remote room locked away in a basement. He was openly obsessed with children who were ever present in his life. The children (7 year olds) engaged in highly sexualised dance routines with him publicly on stage. Jackson's personality was evidently damaged and tales of abuse inflicted upon him as a child were many.
He had been dogged by persistent allegations of sexual abuse. The strongest evidenced case was bought off before it came to court with US$22m. Now the picture of the pedophile is fully formed.

Jackson's legacy will be stripped away from public life. Endorsing Jackson in public in any form will forever be associated with endorsing sex abuse pedophilia.  Every public image of Jackson will be removed, his wax images will be melted. Good riddance.

Do you think so?

The paedophilia allegations have been around for more than 25 years (I remember being at a U2 gig at the RDS in '93 around the time they first came out and Bono saying "Michael Jackson, I don't believe you're bad"). He was tried and acquitted less than 15 years ago for the same.

At the same time, the allegations and suspicions were notably absent during the hysteria at the time of his death, at least here in the states, and have been since with regard his huge legacy. I watched the Netflix documentary on Quincy Jones (what a life he's led!) a few months back, and while they obviously delve into his major role in Jackson's solo career, I don't recall any mention of Jackson's personal life or conduct (I could be wrong).

I think people basically just wanted to ignore it and just remember the artistic genius. Until now, at least. The Me Too movement has brought the reckoning for another offender.

tyrone08

Havent seen the documentary but i would not be rushing to believe 2 people who swore under oath that mj had not abused them while he was alive.

If you are a parent would you take 22milion over justice for your kid? The whole the stinks of a money grab ploy to be honest.

Dolph1

Do you agree with banning his music?
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

easytiger95

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 08, 2019, 01:06:47 PM
Havent seen the documentary but i would not be rushing to believe 2 people who swore under oath that mj had not abused them while he was alive.

If you are a parent would you take 22milion over justice for your kid? The whole the stinks of a money grab ploy to be honest.

You would have to think that there are easier ways to make money than baring your soul on a documentary and exposing yourself to the worst type of online vitriol and hate from legions of single diamante glove wielding weirdoes. In fact, given the baffling vitality of his fan base, a book entitled "MJ - Cool Guy - Defo Not A Paedophile" would be a much simpler way of cashing in?

Perhaps before saying The whole the stinks of a money grab ploy to be honest you might rectify this Havent seen the documentary ?

Good man.

From the Bunker

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 08, 2019, 01:06:47 PM

Have a look at the documentary! See what you think. You might have the same opinion. You might not have the same opinion.

trailer

You have to believe them.
Jackson was an absolute weirdo. Weirdo's should always be treated with suspicion. He was a grown man who lived in a f**king children's theme party. I wouldn't leave my children alone with him anyway.

MoChara

haven't had a chance to see it yet but a mate of mine was saying the two fellas in it didn't seem entirely honest.

Main Street

Quote from: Dolph1 on March 08, 2019, 01:12:33 PM

Do you agree with banning his music?
I have no opinion on banning his music. I believe the stripping of Jackson from the public arena will occur one way or another.
If a radio station does not ban his music, I believe individual presenters will not play his music.

Do you agree with pedophiles being honoured?

easytiger95

Quote from: MoChara on March 08, 2019, 01:31:20 PM
haven't had a chance to see it yet but a mate of mine was saying the two fellas in it didn't seem entirely honest.

Oh well that settles that then. If MoChara's mate says it, you can take it to the bank.

Boycey

I've not seen it either but did see the documentary maker on tv the other night and didn't like him. Jacko always seemed a little suspect to me and it wouldn't surprise me if some/all of the allegations were true but this guy I thought came across as him thinking everything he said was fact despite presenting only one side of a story.

Should Jackos music be banned? Not for me and even if it were proven he was a paedophile I'd still say the same I think.

Main Street

The Simpsons, the longest running sitcom in the USA and probably the most popular series ever created, has decided to drop its Jackson episode.  The stripping of Jackson from popular culture has begun in earnest.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/08/michael-jackson-simpsons-episode-pulled-by-producers

easytiger95

There is a difference between banning music and simply not wanting to play it. I'm sure there are plenty of DJs who (like me) couldn't stomach playing "Man in the Mirror" after hearing those revelations. I'm sure there are some who could. That is not a ban.

And it is not actually radio play where we will see this - the Spotify charts will show far more accurately whether people are streaming him still or not. Either way, it is perfectly democratic and a pure expression of both the principle of free speech and the effectiveness of markets (for our right wing friends) if people make that choice.

easytiger95

Quote from: Main Street on March 08, 2019, 01:47:35 PM
The Simpsons, the longest running sitcom in the USA and probably the most popular series ever created, has decided to drop its Jackson episode.  The stripping of Jackson from popular culture has begun in earnest.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/08/michael-jackson-simpsons-episode-pulled-by-producers

Interesting quote there from one of the creators - they don't support bans, but it is their book and they are entitled to drop a chapter if they like.