Kids Birthday Parties

Started by bennydorano, April 28, 2016, 08:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

I dunno if it's just me, but are kids birthday parties getting ino a weddingesque cycle of parents trying to outdo each other? Some of the parties my kids have been to must have cost an arm & a leg.

Tony Baloney

You mean you haven't taken 37 of your wains closest friends on a private jet to Euro disney?  Monster!

f**k them, you get people like that all the time. Let them fire away and do whatever you are comfortable with in return.

bennydorano

A P7 friend of one of my boys had a disco in a local social club, invited town & country and got £400 in birthday money. This kid has got a bright future ;D

No wides

Quote from: bennydorano on April 28, 2016, 09:23:03 PM
A P7 friend of one of my boys had a disco in a local social club, invited town & country and got £400 in birthday money. This kid has got a bright future ;D

My daughter was at a similar one recently P2, the whole class - 31, plus 20 odd cousins etc, hired DJ etc, I have never heard my daughter mention this child until the party - madness.  All my kids got the same whatever age you are that's how many friends you can invite and the older they got the less they wanted.  ;D

Farrandeelin

Jesus. What happened to good old Hide and Seek in the garden? Or Tip the can?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

illdecide

I took my daughter and 6 of her friends from her class to the cinema and then a sleep over afterwards...in fairness i get free cinema tickets (16 a month) so no cost there and the sleep over cost nothing only a nights sleep ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 29, 2016, 08:26:52 AM
Jesus. What happened to good old Hide and Seek in the garden? Or Tip the can?
Consumerism. Same thing on the beach in enniscrone with kids in wetsuits FFS

armaghniac

Children's parties were a load of wee buns back in my day.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Aristo 60

Quote from: No wides on April 29, 2016, 07:55:35 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 28, 2016, 09:23:03 PM

My daughter was at a similar one recently P2, the whole class - 31, plus 20 odd cousins etc, hired DJ etc, I have never heard my daughter mention this child until the party - madness.  All my kids got the same whatever age you are that's how many friends you can invite and the older they got the less they wanted.  ;D

Back in the day I was at a friend's party. He was 10 and there were 9 guests so there was 10 of everything counted out on the treat table in front of us. 10 buns, 10 mini boxes of smarties, 10 mini mars bars etc. etc.

I've never forgotten it. And never will.

Beffs

Was at my cousins young lads party there a few weeks ago. He's 9. It was refreshing to see the kitchen table full of rice crispy cakes, crisps, ham & cheese sambos & chocolate biscuits. The kids all working it off in the garden afterwards, playing games of chase and tag. From all the screams and shouts, they were having a ball. No bouncy castles, or petting zoo's, or DJ's needed. Just like the parties I used to have as a kid. One of the mammy's dropped her little darling off with a platter of carrots & home made hummus. She said it goes down "a treat" at her parties. It went straight in the bin. Let kids be kids FFS !

johnneycool

Quote from: Beffs on April 29, 2016, 02:27:55 PM
Was at my cousins young lads party there a few weeks ago. He's 9. It was refreshing to see the kitchen table full of rice crispy cakes, crisps, ham & cheese sambos & chocolate biscuits. The kids all working it off in the garden afterwards, playing games of chase and tag. From all the screams and shouts, they were having a ball. No bouncy castles, or petting zoo's, or DJ's needed. Just like the parties I used to have as a kid. One of the mammy's dropped her little darling off with a platter of carrots & home made hummus. She said it goes down "a treat" at her parties. It went straight in the bin. Let kids be kids FFS !

Why'd they do that? Just put it on the table with the rest of the shíte and maybe some might try it, granted my crew wouldn't but some might.

Beffs

Because my cousin has sampled her friends hummus before & it's dire stuff apparently. She put out a healthy option fruit salad platter & white chocolate covered strawberries, for a couple of the kids who don't have a sweet tooth. The cream buns were even gluten free. But she said the hummus tasted like dog food.

illdecide

Never got a Birthday party when i was young...too fecking poor :'(
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

gallsman

Quote from: Beffs on April 29, 2016, 02:50:30 PM
Because my cousin has sampled her friends hummus before & it's dire stuff apparently. She put out a healthy option fruit salad platter & white chocolate covered strawberries, for a couple of the kids who don't have a sweet tooth. The cream buns were even gluten free. But she said the hummus tasted like dog food.

Sure that makes them healthy!  ;D

Quote from: illdecide on April 29, 2016, 03:08:02 PM
Never got a Birthday party when i was young...too fecking poor :'(

The fact your parents didn't love you either probably played a part.

Beffs

Quote from: hardstation on April 29, 2016, 03:00:58 PM
Still a bit harsh to bin it just because she tried it and didn't like it.

I don't serve food at parties tastes like dog food. Do you?  :o

Remind me never to accept an invite around to your place then so.  ;)