Karadzic; genocide conviction

Started by Main Street, March 24, 2016, 11:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

It's been 5 years  coming but Radovan Karadzic has lived long enough to be found guilty of genocide and sentenced to 40 years.
Genocide at Srebenica of course,  but it  should also be mentioned that it was the scene of one of the greatest acts of cowardice by NATO and  an armed 800 strong UN force (Dutch) under the command of Thom Karremans, who was promoted after his ignominious retreat to Netherlands.

Milltown Row2

So much hatred in that war.... Awful stories which most haven't been told!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 24, 2016, 11:20:44 PM
So much hatred in that war.... Awful stories which most haven't been told!!
Going back to ww2 and before
The EU messed up recognising the breakup of Yugoslavia without thinking of the consequences.. a bit like the financial crisis
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

It's been festering for Centuries. I took a notion a few years back and read 3 or 4 books on the Balkans, fascinating and terrible stuff. If you come back in another hundred years the tensions will still be simmering.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on March 25, 2016, 07:44:45 AM
It's been festering for Centuries. I took a notion a few years back and read 3 or 4 books on the Balkans, fascinating and terrible stuff. If you come back in another hundred years the tensions will still be simmering.

Did the same.... Wickedness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

under the bar

QuoteGoing back to ww2 and before
The EU messed up recognising the breakup of Yugoslavia without thinking of the consequences.. a bit like the financial crisis

Forcing Slavs, Slovenes and Croats to live under a Serbian Monarchy in a new Kingdom of Yugoslavia largely created by outsiders was where the real war crimes began.

seafoid

Bosnia has been the border between
Western and Eastern Roman Empire (4th century)
Western and Eastern Christianity (11th century). Croats are catholic.  Serbs are Orthodox
Hapsburg and Ottoman empires (16th century)
The Krajina region of Croatia is named after the border.

bennydorano

Quote from: under the bar on March 25, 2016, 08:58:45 AM

Forcing Slavs, Slovenes and Croats to live under a Serbian Monarchy in a new Kingdom of Yugoslavia largely created by outsiders was where the real war crimes began.
Assuming you're talking about post WW2 to near the break-up that was a period when they enjoyed stability! Historians are ambivalent about Tito, but having pretty much read a chronological history of the region before I got into the modern stuff, Tito knew what was required to keep a lid on it and that's exactly  what he did. I think there are clear paralells with the fall of dictators / Arab Spring and ensuing mayhem.

seafoid

Most of the trouble zones of the last 30 years eg NI Iraq Yugoslavia Turkey Israel Sri Lanka Lebanon involve disputes between ethnic or religious groups. Anywhere the Soviets occupied after WW2 was ruthlessly ethnically cleansed. Yugoslavia was not until the 90s. European countries now are mostly 90% majority for one group.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: bennydorano on March 25, 2016, 09:36:16 AM
Quote from: under the bar on March 25, 2016, 08:58:45 AM

Assuming you're talking about post WW2 to near the break-up that was a period when they enjoyed stability! Historians are ambivalent about Tito, but having pretty much read a chronological history of the region before I got into the modern stuff, Tito knew what was required to keep a lid on it and that's exactly  what he did. I think there are clear paralells with the fall of dictators / Arab Spring and ensuing mayhem.
Agreed. When you look at the leaders who were tyrannical but actually managed to keep a lid on things in hotspot countries - Tito, Gadaffi, Saddam Hussein. Their misdemeanours were small buttons in comparison to the carnage that followed their exit. Deposing them is the easy bit...

doodaa

Any recommendations for books on the Balkans?

armaghniac

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 25, 2016, 10:39:57 AM
Agreed. When you look at the leaders who were tyrannical but actually managed to keep a lid on things in hotspot countries - Tito, Gadaffi, Saddam Hussein. Their misdemeanours were small buttons in comparison to the carnage that followed their exit. Deposing them is the easy bit...

Hussein used poison gas on his citizens, his misdemeanours were substantial. Tito certainly employed political repression, but after the WW2 chaos had settled nothing on the scale of Saddam.

The BBC documentary Death of Yugoslavia is up on Youtube, great documentary work but chilling. On an aside the fact that the EU/Nato/UN etc stood idly by while Karadzic's buddies liquidated Srebenica has not helped Muslim perception in the years since then.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: doodaa on March 25, 2016, 12:27:55 PM

Balkan Express by Slavenka Drakulic

doodaa

Quote from: seafoid on March 25, 2016, 12:34:56 PM

Thanks  :)

bennydorano

Quote from: seafoid on March 25, 2016, 12:34:56 PM

Jesus i can hardly remember! The only book I have left in my possession is Kosovo - What everybody needs to know, by Tim Judah.  Fall of Yugoslavia by Misha Glenny. There's another I had and i cant for the life of me remember the name of it, swopped it for a book about Chechnya (to cheer myself up).