I am Pro-union

Started by Lady GAA GAA, June 02, 2010, 03:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

I'd also be extremely dubious as to whether or not a UI would be passed into law north or south of the border.   In the event of any such proposition being put to the electorate Mexicans will be confronted with wholesale structural changes, I'd imagine they'd pretty much think they'll just integrate NI into the ROI, but for this to be acceptable to Unionism (and me) it will have to be the creation of whole new state - emblems, symbolism and all, that's where the real sticking points will be. 

Bottom line is Will southerners give up their country for the creation of a new one?? Because that's what the minimum asking price will be.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rossfan

Quote from: bennydorano on June 03, 2010, 07:42:32 PM
I'd also be extremely dubious as to whether or not a UI would be passed into law north or south of the border.   In the event of any such proposition being put to the electorate Mexicans will be confronted with wholesale structural changes, I'd imagine they'd pretty much think they'll just integrate NI into the ROI, but for this to be acceptable to Unionism (and me) it will have to be the creation of whole new state - emblems, symbolism and all, that's where the real sticking points will be. 

Bottom line is Will southerners give up their country for the creation of a new one?? Because that's what the minimum asking price will be.

A Confederation of the 2 regions would be the obvious solution with the Dáil and Assembly looking after day to day matters within their own areas and the Confederacy looking after the bigger issues.
That way the 26 Cos could have it's own particular ways,keeping the Tricolour,A na bhF, bi lingual road signs  etc and the 6 Cos could have theirs, trilingual signs, a bland flag etc. 6 Co Residents would have the right to British citizenship/passports on application to the British Government.
Meanwhile the confederacy would have its own agreed  bland flag/Anthem etc
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Myles Na G.

Nope, bottom line is will there be a majority in the north in favour of new arrangements any time soon? Answer, no.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 03, 2010, 04:48:13 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on June 03, 2010, 04:21:52 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 02, 2010, 09:57:30 PM
I always laugh when i hear this notion how southerners will not vote for a UI.
Anyone ive ever spoken to about the subject,which includes those from all classes,Solictors/Accountants to long term on unemploymed and of both majority christian religions in the state,Not one was against the idea of a UI,even with the notion of the financial costs to those in the 26 counties.
This may only be 20-30 people but would be a decent representation of different social classes which we have in this state.
There is a broad,you could say underlying nationalist feeling of almost a romantic nature throughout the 26 counties which yearns to reuinte with the fourth green field.
Dont let Kevin Myers/Ruth Dudley Edwards tell you anything differently.

Well said BhM be a person a plough and the stars 32 country romantic or reckon the 6 counties are just a pain in the hole, 95%+ I reckon will vote for a United Ireland, and many of the other 5% will be those nimrods who always feck up and spoil their vote.

Move the Capital to Athlone, Belfast, Cork or Galway, its somebody elses turn.

How could you even contemplate the Capital being in Galway, surely an anathema to a Mayo man!  ;)

To a Mayo man, Galway is the capital of Ireland. They get nosebleeds if they travel any further. ;D

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 03, 2010, 08:37:08 PM
To a Mayo man, Galway is the capital of Ireland. They get nosebleeds if they travel any further. ;D

Any nosebleeds are caused by the shams.

Galway is a great place to pass digested beer.
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 03, 2010, 08:27:32 PM

Nope, bottom line is will there be a majority in the north in favour of new arrangements any time soon? Answer, no.
That bottom line will come some day (as this is a hypothetical discussion anyway ffs), when it does come will you give up your country for the creation of a new one?

A united Ireland will not happen this century - the reality of it will be too unpalatable for a lot of ROI citizens and I doubt the conviction and desire of Northerners tbh.

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on June 03, 2010, 09:35:45 PM

That bottom line will come some day (as this is a hypothetical discussion anyway ffs), when it does come will you give up your country for the creation of a new one?

A united Ireland will not happen this century - the reality of it will be too unpalatable for a lot of ROI citizens and I doubt the conviction and desire of Northerners tbh.

It won't be any more unpalatable for ROI citizens than re-unification was for Germans.
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

Quote from: Rossfan on June 03, 2010, 08:18:24 PM

A Confederation of the 2 regions would be the obvious solution with the Dáil and Assembly looking after day to day matters within their own areas and the Confederacy looking after the bigger issues.
That way the 26 Cos could have it's own particular ways,keeping the Tricolour,A na bhF, bi lingual road signs  etc and the 6 Cos could have theirs, trilingual signs, a bland flag etc. 6 Co Residents would have the right to British citizenship/passports on application to the British Government.
Same only different then?  Sort of defeats the purpose of unification.

Nally Stand

Quote from: bennydorano on June 03, 2010, 09:41:11 PM

Agrees. The idea also strikes of "Irish Unification/Freedom = a great idea on the condition that it doesn't adversly effect the 26 counties in any way what-so-ever, but who gives a fcuk about the north."
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

bennydorano

Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2010, 09:40:12 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 03, 2010, 09:35:45 PM

It won't be any more unpalatable for ROI citizens than re-unification was for Germans.
Barring the word re-unification, I am at a loss to see the similarities? 

Rossfan

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 03, 2010, 09:45:29 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 03, 2010, 09:41:11 PM

Agrees. The idea also strikes of "Irish Unification/Freedom = a great idea on the condition that it doesn't adversly effect the 26 counties in any way what-so-ever, but who gives a fcuk about the north."
Get the chip off the shoulder and try and read what I said. That oul bolox is certainly not making 26 Co folks warm to the idea of having anything to do with ye.
There will NOT be a takeover of the 6 by the present 26. An All Ireland entity will not have the Tricolour and A na bhFiann as its flag and anthem.
Unionists or whatever they will be called will want some connection with GB or some recognition of their (perceived by themselves which is what counts) "Britishness".
We dont want a repeat of the 1922-72 majority tyranny that existed in the 6 Cos repeated in an All Ireland situation only with us being the tyrants.
If Switzerland with 3 different groups and 22 Federal districts can work very successfully surely we can make a go of a 2 Region Confederation.

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on June 03, 2010, 09:47:28 PM
Barring the word re-unification, I am at a loss to see the similarities?

There was and still is resentment in the old West Germany at the subsidies that had to be paid to the East after re-unification. If anything I'd say the Southern Irish sentiment regarding unification would be better than  Germany's was in 1990.

There would be similar problems such as two different currencies and the very high amount of people employed in the public sector in the North. This would inevitably mean that the new Government would have to pick up the tab for that which would almost certainly mean higher taxes for those in the south.

Another similarity is the opposition of Britain. Thatcher was against the re-unification of Germany.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2010, 09:59:05 PM
. Thatcher was against the re-unification of Germany.
Germany re unified 1990. Thatcher the C**T deposed 1990. A good year.