The US policing crisis thread

Started by Eamonnca1, April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 22, 2021, 01:30:56 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 22, 2021, 01:25:34 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 22, 2021, 12:46:12 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 22, 2021, 12:26:58 PM
America's gun laws are the root cause of this problem. Every Cop thinks that at every single small call out someone is carrying. If they take away the threat of the gun from most of these Cop shootings, they will eliminate a lot of these deaths.

It's absolutely insane what the cops have to deal with

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/juveniles-injured-gunfight-broke-12-year-olds-birthday/story%3fid=77182959

Ban Guns and a lot of America's ills will be solved.

Unfortunately there is zero chance of that ever happening.

Its like these people are wired wrong or something.

There are more guns that people at this point in the US.

Asking people to give up their guns would be like asking the Unionists to join up for a United Ireland

There should be a national registry of guns and severe penalties for people who don't follow the rules but of course even that won't happen. In some states you can buy a gun at a flea market or yard sale without any ID or background check....absolute insanity

Milltown Row2

Can the policy be at least one gun per adult who passes a phycology check?

No semi automatics, why I'm even writing this!!!???

Yes I can agree on hunting guns (not that I agree on shooting animals) personal protection important too, but the background checks need enforcing.

Heavy fines and jail time for those with unauthorised guns and an amnesty for handing in guns, they go straight to a place to be crushed!

Walking around with a gun visible is the strangest of sights, pointing guns at people (like those clowns during that march) needs to come with a fine jail and loss of ever owning a gun.

It won't happen overnight but gradually this will at the very least tidy things up.

Also increase the tax on ammo, hike it up da f**k and make it so expensive that having a gun is useless and only good for throwing at people!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2021, 01:51:43 PM

Yes I can agree on hunting guns (not that I agree on shooting animals) personal protection important too, but the background checks need enforcing.

Heavy fines and jail time for those with unauthorised guns and an amnesty for handing in guns, they go straight to a place to be crushed!

Walking around with a gun visible is the strangest of sights, pointing guns at people (like those clowns during that march) needs to come with a fine jail and loss of ever owning a gun.

It won't happen overnight but gradually this will at the very least tidy things up.

Also increase the tax on ammo, hike it up da f**k and make it so expensive that having a gun is useless and only good for throwing at people!

What you're saying makes sense but it would never pass

It's a cultural thing.....unless you live here it's really hard to understand

Eg the guy who cuts my hair (and is a Democrat) has something like 20 guns

Hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2021, 07:52:49 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 22, 2021, 06:02:49 AM

This is bizarre in the extreme and something ill never understand about America and why it's allowed to happen.

The other thing I can't understand (and I'm not victim blaming here) is resisting arrest! If you are black and live in a society were the police are virtually allowed to do what they want, why would you resist arrest?

Though not resisting arrest will protect you either, seen footage of a young lad (13?) being chased, he dropped his gun (why he had a gun is another question), put his hands up but they shot him dead anyways.

It's a crazy place to live
Agree completely about the resisting arrest bit. You just can't do it. The guy shot by the female officer was asking to be tazed by his actions.

He certainly wasn't asking to be killed though. I believe she made a mistake and did not mean to shoot him with a gun. But she still did. So having looked at the last few days of the Chauvin trial, I would say the 10-15 years for manslaughter would be the right verdict for her.

Also wouldn't complain about the 16 year-old with the knife getting shot. Clearly aiming for a non-lethal part of the body is not feasible as it's too risky. Taser might have been an option, but the police officer looked a bit too far away for that and there was immediate danger for a potential victim. Obviously a lot more detail would be required to evaluate properly, but I'd be leaning towards the police did the right thing and possibly saved a life.

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 22, 2021, 02:09:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2021, 01:51:43 PM

What you're saying makes sense but it would never pass

It's a cultural thing.....unless you live here it's really hard to understand

Eg the guy who cuts my hair (and is a Democrat) has something like 20 guns

I married into a family from out west. The immediate in-laws are fairly run of the mill, centrist people. But I've been at family gatherings, where the spouses and in-laws of cousins start to come into the picture, and that's where you see it. I've no issue with the hunting and the camo fashion, but where I start to get uncomfortable is with the open-carry pistols on their waist, with kids climbing all over them!

Armagh18

Quote from: whitey on April 22, 2021, 01:39:13 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 22, 2021, 01:30:56 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 22, 2021, 01:25:34 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 22, 2021, 12:46:12 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 22, 2021, 12:26:58 PM
America's gun laws are the root cause of this problem. Every Cop thinks that at every single small call out someone is carrying. If they take away the threat of the gun from most of these Cop shootings, they will eliminate a lot of these deaths.

It's absolutely insane what the cops have to deal with

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/juveniles-injured-gunfight-broke-12-year-olds-birthday/story%3fid=77182959

Ban Guns and a lot of America's ills will be solved.

Unfortunately there is zero chance of that ever happening.

Its like these people are wired wrong or something.

There are more guns that people at this point in the US.

Asking people to give up their guns would be like asking the Unionists to join up for a United Ireland

There should be a national registry of guns and severe penalties for people who don't follow the rules but of course even that won't happen. In some states you can buy a gun at a flea market or yard sale without any ID or background check....absolute insanity
Something that is in their best interest but they are too pig headed to see it? Sounds about right!

J70

Quote from: Hound on April 22, 2021, 02:09:40 PM

This is bizarre in the extreme and something ill never understand about America and why it's allowed to happen.

The other thing I can't understand (and I'm not victim blaming here) is resisting arrest! If you are black and live in a society were the police are virtually allowed to do what they want, why would you resist arrest?

Though not resisting arrest will protect you either, seen footage of a young lad (13?) being chased, he dropped his gun (why he had a gun is another question), put his hands up but they shot him dead anyways.

Agree completely about the resisting arrest bit. You just can't do it. The guy shot by the female officer was asking to be tazed by his actions.

He certainly wasn't asking to be killed though. I believe she made a mistake and did not mean to shoot him with a gun. But she still did. So having looked at the last few days of the Chauvin trial, I would say the 10-15 years for manslaughter would be the right verdict for her.

Also wouldn't complain about the 16 year-old with the knife getting shot. Clearly aiming for a non-lethal part of the body is not feasible as it's too risky. Taser might have been an option, but the police officer looked a bit too far away for that and there was immediate danger for a potential victim. Obviously a lot more detail would be required to evaluate properly, but I'd be leaning towards the police did the right thing and possibly saved a life.

I've a close work colleague who is retired NYPD. He reckons its absolutely plausible that a gun could be mistakenly drawn for a taser in the heat of the moment. And he is about as far from a reactionary, hard-right cop as you could get.

Which begs the question why are they not made and operated in such a way that might prevent such a tragic mix-up?

Milltown Row2

Would they unlock the safety (like I know what I'm talking about!) on a taser like they do on a gun?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

The barrell of the gun was very square (or rectangular/cuboid) judging by the video, which gave it a taser-like look.

However, the taser gun is bright yellow, which you'd think would usually be a big giveaway! Her eyeline must've been on the suspect all the time and never glanced down.

J70

You can see the yellow taser in that photo. Looks just like a gun.

And yes, I would think they're trained to grab the gun and aim while keeping their eyes on the suspect.

Eamonnca1

If a cop is screaming "stop resisting" it's not evidence that the victim is resisting. It's one of the tactics they use to trump up charges. They'll throw your hands behind your back before you've had time to realize what's going on, and claim that you're resisting whether you are or not. There are states where you can be arrested on the absurd charge of "resisting arrest" and no other charge.

There's also a video where they took a guy in, tied him to a chair, tortured him with a tazer, and screamed "stop resisting" at him.

Police dog chewing your leg off? "Stop resisting!"

Eamonnca1

She was being assaulted. It was her that called the cops. She was acting in self defense, which happens to be legal. If a knife is a weapon then she had a constitutionally protected right to bear it.

It's fairly obvious that the "right to bear arms" is in theory for everyone, but in practice it's for white people only because of the racist police system and the culture of porcine infallibility that props it up.

whitey

Lol

Stabbing before and behind her and he says it's self defense

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 22, 2021, 05:55:16 PM

She was being assaulted. It was her that called the cops. She was acting in self defense, which happens to be legal. If a knife is a weapon then she had a constitutionally protected right to bear it.

It's fairly obvious that the "right to bear arms" is in theory for everyone, but in practice it's for white people only because of the racist police system and the culture of porcine infallibility that props it up.
complete bollox as usual google Peyton ham won't see much on cnn about him doesn't fit the narrative.
Cops aren't taking any chances whether we like it or not

Eamonnca1

Columbus Ohio cops dressed like soldiers, in an armored car, wearing combat gear and carrying assault rifles, assault a teenage child who was complying with their instructions. They then arrested a man for (legally) filming the incident from his own house. In the process of the arrest thew threw him down on his face and dislocated his shoulder. They interned him for five days before charging him, and the city dropped the charges.

The event cost this innocent man his job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKzUt2Qzw08

Courts have repeatedly ruled that filming police on duty is a constitutionally protected act.

The ACLU is suing the police department.

"The lawsuit is the latest against the city's police division, including a federal lawsuit filed by a total of 26 people against the city over alleged civil rights violations by police during protests last summer."

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2021/01/11/aclu-sues-columbus-police-after-man-arrested-recording-officers/6630973002/