The US policing crisis thread

Started by Eamonnca1, April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Muck Savage on June 12, 2015, 02:11:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 12, 2015, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on June 11, 2015, 11:22:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 11, 2015, 10:56:46 PM
When you think about it, it is a very sad state of affairs that a university has to have its own police department.

Why?

Does every institution have its own police department? Is this the case with hospitals, massive companies etc? I honestly don't know. I just have never seen a university with its own police department before. I would guess this has more to do with the tragic mass shootings that occur so frequently, and possibly the insane gun laws, rather than any social policy, but again I honestly don't know. Maybe there is a genuine benefit to a strong police presence in college. (Thank God there wasn't any when I was in college, in Belfast, during the troubles - imagine!).

If the mantra of the lunatic fringe is 'obey the law', then surely the law should be simple enough for the common man, and the common cop to understand? If the cops need to be split up into different organisations to deal with a huge diversity of situations, then how on earth can the common man be expected to keep up with all these differences to ensure he is 'obeying' the law?

But regardless, the problem is a small minority of police think they are the law and it is they who should be obeyed. The secondary problem is that there are idiots like Hannity defending them.

So let me explain. Every city in the US has their own police force. A lot of the universities in the US have as many people as as city and in the case of a private college the grounds are private so they need their own police force. They are needed to keep the place for young kids, first time away from home, underage drinking and of course women from being attacked.

I'm not going to try to defend the Texas cop last week however I do think he felt threatened when he pulled the gun when the crowd went in to save the girl (from looking at the video I think he pulled the gun on a white guy who could have been taken for reaching for a gun).

I don't believe that all these incidents are racially driven. There's a huge PR push behind the 'blacklivesmatter' campaign and are ready to jump on every incident. Cops today are under huge pressure, pull a gun early and get hammered in the media, pull it too late and you could end up dead. The reason that there are so many black men incarcerated is not because of racist cops but because of government/social reason. If the PR people put as much focus on this they would save a lot more black lives, but that's not glamorous or easy for some of the activists.

I see.

Maybe when the rest of the world grows up and has big universities, even private ones, they will need their own police departments too? They won't even need to be underage drinking because the drinking age will be 18 in most of those countries. God knows how the women will survive.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Quote from: muppet on June 13, 2015, 05:04:43 PM
I see.

Maybe when the rest of the world grows up and has big universities, even private ones, they will need their own police departments too? They won't even need to be underage drinking because the drinking age will be 18 in most of those countries. God knows how the women will survive.

There's no need to be so defensive about this, Muppet. Policing is very fragmented in the US, that's just the way it's set up. Each municipal unit has its own police department, even the smallest town will have its own PD. Fire departments are the same, it's all run on the same lines as local government. Some universities are so big and cover such a big area that they have their own zip codes and in some cases even their own police departments. I don't know if it's the best way to do things or not but there it is.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on June 12, 2015, 09:18:22 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2015, 09:15:34 PM
"None of", "your," and "business."

LOL - You mean one where there are Chai Latte's and Couscous ;)
Make sure the nice police officers are keeping an eye out for you.

For the benefit of anyone wondering what Fox is on about, let me recap.

He says that all black people have to do is to stop breaking the law and the law will stop hassling them.

I said that he'd know it's not that simple if he tried to see things from a black person's point of view.

He responded by telling me that if he needs to see things from a black person's perspective, then I should move to Oakland where black people live.

No, it makes no sense to me either.

Muck Savage

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 13, 2015, 06:20:55 PM

He says that all black people have to do is to stop breaking the law and the law will stop hassling them.

I said that he'd know it's not that simple if he tried to see things from a black person's point of view.

He responded by telling me that if he needs to see things from a black person's perspective, then I should move to Oakland where black people live.

Eamonn - He actually responded to a statement that black people are more likely to be incarcerated than a white man for the same crime.
The response was "Easily fixed. Don't break the law..." , this would be a good first step for the majority of Black or White people in prison.

Your getting as bad as FOX with all the half truths and snippets put together to tell a story that suits the agenda

Whats your solution to addressing the problem?

J70

Quote from: Muck Savage on June 13, 2015, 09:36:10 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 13, 2015, 06:20:55 PM

Eamonn - He actually responded to a statement that black people are more likely to be incarcerated than a white man for the same crime.
The response was "Easily fixed. Don't break the law..." , this would be a good first step for the majority of Black or White people in prison.

Your getting as bad as FOX with all the half truths and snippets put together to tell a story that suits the agenda

Whats your solution to addressing the problem?

You accuse HIM of half truths??

The point, that foxcommander skips over, is the biased justice system and blacks being more severely punished that whites for the same things.

Although I don't get why Eamonnca would feel the need to explain it.

I think most people here are intelligent enough to see when someone ignores a valid argument or makes strawman arguments and is intellectually dishonest.

muppet

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 13, 2015, 06:18:46 PM
I see.

There's no need to be so defensive about this, Muppet. Policing is very fragmented in the US, that's just the way it's set up. Each municipal unit has its own police department, even the smallest town will have its own PD. Fire departments are the same, it's all run on the same lines as local government. Some universities are so big and cover such a big area that they have their own zip codes and in some cases even their own police departments. I don't know if it's the best way to do things or not but there it is.

I asked why it was different in the US. I was given reasons that apply to universities all over the world: really really big, drinking, women aren't see etc. Your comment 'that's just the way it is set up' is more of an answer to the question, even if it isn't very satisfactory.

BTW no US university makes the top 12 in the world in size (acc to Wiki).

If every big institution has its own Police Department, with its local command chain, training, policy and procedures etc, how on earth are standards across police forces measured or maintained? How is information and experience shared? For example, we know that there was intelligence warning of the 911 attack available but it fell between the various stools of difference intelligence and law enforcement agencies. If that catastrophic failure to protect itself didn't the message across it is hard to know what will.

Fire Departments don't have extraordinary powers over citizens so that wouldn't bother me too much. But the police do.

The worst thing about all this is the Fox News philosophy whereby they insist the police are the law, rather than serve the law. We have seen this type of authoritarian thinking throughout history, and it is always abused.
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: muppet on June 14, 2015, 01:32:27 PM
I see.

I asked why it was different in the US. I was given reasons that apply to universities all over the world: really really big, drinking, women aren't see etc. Your comment 'that's just the way it is set up' is more of an answer to the question, even if it isn't very satisfactory.

If every big institution has its own Police Department, with its local command chain, training, policy and procedures etc, how on earth are standards across police forces measured or maintained? How is information and experience shared? For example, we know that there was intelligence warning of the 911 attack available but it fell between the various stools of difference intelligence and law enforcement agencies. If that catastrophic failure to protect itself didn't the message across it is hard to know what will.

Fire Departments don't have extraordinary powers over citizens so that wouldn't bother me too much. But the police do.

The worst thing about all this is the Fox News philosophy whereby they insist the police are the law, rather than serve the law. We have seen this type of authoritarian thinking throughout history, and it is always abused.

Gave me the best laugh of the weekend....I'm sure the Sharia police and Military dictators who run the countries the top 12 universities are located in would be well able to keep law and order-Lol

J70

Quote from: muppet on June 14, 2015, 01:32:27 PM
I see.

You should check out New Jersey. There is town after town, with no line between them except on a map, and they all have their own police force. You drive down the street from Jersey City into Hoboken and the only thing that might indicate you're in a different town is a sign saying "Welcome to Hoboken" or whatever, yet the sign divides two completely separate police forces. And then you throw in the Port Authority police in the same area who look after the Holland and Lincoln tunnels, PATH stations etc.

Of course, there is a lot of cooperation and coordination between them, but it is horribly sympomatic of politicians trying to keep their little fiefdoms and power.

omaghjoe

Muppet, You make good points about the system in America and there is no doubt it has its fragmented nature has its failing but the police are only trying to police within that system.

So it begs the question what's the problem? Is it the system? or the police?

The American system creates massive problems for the police guns being one of the most obvious ones...look at this eejit

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/peter-nathan-steinmetz-barrow-brain-scientist-arrested-at-airport-with-ar-15-6637874

But there is also other problems such as wealth disparity, mass immigration and the subsequent culture misunderstandings etc etc.

All in all it makes America a very difficult place to police

whitey

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 14, 2015, 03:50:54 PM
Muppet, You make good points about the system in America and there is no doubt it has its fragmented nature has its failing but the police are only trying to police within that system.

The American system creates massive problems for the police guns being one of the most obvious ones...look at this eejit

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/peter-nathan-steinmetz-barrow-brain-scientist-arrested-at-airport-with-ar-15-6637874

But there is also other problems such as wealth disparity, mass immigration and the subsequent culture misunderstandings etc etc.

omaghjoe....most of the people criticizing the police don't live in the U.S. and haven't a clue as to what goes on here. They read one sided biased left wing crap and then jump down the throats of anyone who has a different opinion......ie the people who actually live here and interact with law enforcement on a daily basis

And all this talk about Fox News, Rush Limbaugh etc......the real irony is that the vast majority of the problem police depts are in heavily DEMOCRATIC towns and cities.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/black-voters-in-st-louis-county-direct-their-anger-at-the-democratic-party/2014/10/14/e6957b8a-4f02-11e4-aa5e-7153e466a02d_story.html

And the issue of every town having its own police dept has as much to do with property tax and local autonomy as anything else. Eg in my town the Chief of Police (and indeed every police officer) are appointed by and paid for by the town through property taxes. That gives the town the latitude to appoint (and indeed fire) officers and a chief after a rigorous interview process.

If I as a resident feel that the town needs an extra police officer, I can (if I have 100 signatures) have a motion tabled at the annual town meeting and the residents get to have a vote on the motion.

Thats true democarcy in action

omaghjoe

Quote from: whitey on June 14, 2015, 04:01:20 PM

omaghjoe....most of the people criticizing the police don't live in the U.S. and haven't a clue as to what goes on here. They read one sided biased left wing crap and then jump down the throats of anyone who has a different opinion......ie the people who actually live here and interact with law enforcement on a daily basis

And all this talk about Fox News, Rush Limbaugh etc......the real irony is that the vast majority of the problem police depts are in heavily DEMOCRATIC towns and cities.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/black-voters-in-st-louis-county-direct-their-anger-at-the-democratic-party/2014/10/14/e6957b8a-4f02-11e4-aa5e-7153e466a02d_story.html

And the issue of every town having its own police dept has as much to do with property tax and local autonomy as anything else. Eg in my town the Chief of Police (and indeed every police officer) are appointed by and paid for by the town through property taxes. That gives the town the latitude to appoint (and indeed fire) officers and a chief after a rigorous interview process.

If I as a resident feel that the town needs an extra police officer, I can (if I have 100 signatures) have a motion tabled at the annual town meeting and the residents get to have a vote on the motion.

Your right about people jumping down others throats on this thread but I its coming from both sides if your honest. Democrats in America tend to be self righteous fundamentalists, while Republicans tend to be self righteous fundamentalists. That's the people who are making the most noise at least most people I feel are in between but get caught up in the nonsense. Demonising the other side will only entrench their position

The fragmented nature of American police has its benefits and that is that areas are policed more locally according to their needs however it tends to amplify the huge differences that already exist in America. But again not really the polices fault, more the system.

Also democracy isn't there for the masses to run things, it is there to make those in power accountable. Public affairs should be run by public officials that know their field, they should however be accountable to the public by way of democracy. How does the public know the best way to police their city...they don't. What do you or I know about whether  or not an extra policeman will make the place better policed?.... We don't....the police do....Maybe better communications, different methods, less paperwork, more paperwork would mean things are run better, you or I don't have clue.

I am not sure where u live exactly but in California they have these propositions where anyone can basically propose a referendum that the entire state has to vote on. They are truely the most idiotic thing ever as most people dont have a clue what they are voting on but vote anyway, some people call it true democracy, I call it a shambles.

muppet

QuoteMuppet, You make good points about the system in America and there is no doubt it has its fragmented nature has its failing but the police are only trying to police within that system.

I would point at the system.

QuoteOf course, there is a lot of cooperation and coordination between them, but it is horribly sympomatic of politicians trying to keep their little fiefdoms and power.

This is a fair observation of the system. A country's police force has to be entirely separate from the political system. Many politicians can't help themselves and will try to interfere, and that is why the system has to be strong enough to protect against that. This happens everywhere, including and especially in Ireland.
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 14, 2015, 06:25:46 PM

Your right about people jumping down others throats on this thread but I its coming from both sides if your honest. Democrats in America tend to be self righteous fundamentalists, while Republicans tend to be self righteous fundamentalists. That's the people who are making the most noise at least most people I feel are in between but get caught up in the nonsense. Demonising the other side will only entrench their position

The fragmented nature of American police has its benefits and that is that areas are policed more locally according to their needs however it tends to amplify the huge differences that already exist in America. But again not really the polices fault, more the system.

Also democracy isn't there for the masses to run things, it is there to make those in power accountable. Public affairs should be run by public officials that know their field, they should however be accountable to the public by way of democracy. How does the public know the best way to police their city...they don't. What do you or I know about whether  or not an extra policeman will make the place better policed?.... We don't....the police do....Maybe better communications, different methods, less paperwork, more paperwork would mean things are run better, you or I don't have clue.

I am not sure where u live exactly but in California they have these propositions where anyone can basically propose a referendum that the entire state has to vote on. They are truely the most idiotic thing ever as most people dont have a clue what they are voting on but vote anyway, some people call it true democracy, I call it a shambles.

Omagh you're comparing apples with cannonballs comparing a state wide ballot initiative with a proposition at the annual town meeting which  deals almost entirely with issue of budget. 

I wasn't clear enough in my statement, what I should have said was that if I felt the town needed an extra officer, I could table a motion that would allow the town to allocate the necessary budgetary dollars to allow that to happen.  Then at the town meeting, everyone registered voter gets their say, both for and against, including said professionals you alluded to.

What's the alternative...have a system like in Ireland where. Your only recourse is to call up Joe Duffy or Tommy Marren

omaghjoe

Quote from: whitey on June 14, 2015, 06:50:46 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 14, 2015, 06:25:46 PM

Omagh you're comparing apples with cannonballs comparing a state wide ballot initiative with a proposition at the annual town meeting which  deals almost entirely with issue of budget. 

I wasn't clear enough in my statement, what I should have said was that if I felt the town needed an extra officer, I could table a motion that would allow the town to allocate the necessary budgetary dollars to allow that to happen.  Then at the town meeting, everyone registered voter gets their say, both for and against, including said professionals you alluded to.

What's the alternative...have a system like in Ireland where. Your only recourse is to call up Joe Duffy or Tommy Marren

Huh??... I wasn't compering the two. I was using the ca props to highlight another example where the populace of America are too involved in making decisions for things that they know nothing about.
They should have input of course and those in charge should be accountable to that populace however but they should not be involved in the actual decision.

Are there only two choices? Ireland's and America's? Now that is apples and cannonballs! How about a democratically accountable technocracy?

Local issues should be dealt with locally however we live in an increasingly connected world where we deal less with our neighbours and more with people further and further away. To govern that we will need to have an increasingly centralised governance that deals with how to we connect to each other.

Eamonnca1

There's advantages and disadvantages to localized policing, but I think the main problem is a lack of police accountability. Contrary to what Whitey says about Joe Duffy, in Ireland (north) you've got the office of Police Ombudsman, in the south you've got the GSOC. At least in theory you have independent bodies that you can go to that have the power to investigate the cops, so you have somebody to police the policemen.

In the US you've got the Department of Justice but that's very high up the ladder at federal level which probably makes it a bit inaccessible to the average joe with a complaint. Plus it probably depends on what kind of an administration is in the White House. I couldn't see a Republican administration being as keen to investigate police wrongdoing.

You could try complaining directly to the police department, but the conflict of interest there is obvious enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8v7lF5ttlQ

If I were to put independent police ombudsmen in place in the states I'd say county level would be the best place for it. City level would be a bit too messy, plus you have some police departments that straddle various cities and even counties in some cases. BART police, which patrols the Bay Area Rapid Transit system, can be found in about half a dozen different counties and probably twenty different cities.