The US policing crisis thread

Started by Eamonnca1, April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I imagine there is an ingrained sort of racial profiling alright. Imagine if it was a guy from the middle east!?!

The unfortunate fact though, is that there is a high level of crime among poor black areas, which is a societal issue. On the front line, a cop might not be considering societal issues, or might be buck ignorant and unwilling to bother. Some of them undoubtedly see black skin as the equivalent of gang colours.

That is wrong, but in some highly charged situations, I would have sympathy for cops who feel they are in danger. I also feel this explains the fact that quite a few cops involved in questionable incidents are black too, so I feel pure racism (Black Guy is inferior to White Guy) is not the issue, it's more that they are almost assuming a higher propensity to violence if the suspect is black, no matter the colour of the officer.

I feel no sympathy for this bully in Texas, and he is right to fall on his sword, and I'm glad the PD doesn't try to defend him.

muppet

Quote from: whitey on June 12, 2015, 12:03:41 AM
Quote from: muppet on June 11, 2015, 10:52:41 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 11, 2015, 10:20:45 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/26/us/yale-blow-son-detained/

Here's another one. Black kid at Yale, son of someone famous, has gun pulled on them and wrestled to the ground by a Yale cop in a case of mistaken identity.

Holy blue murder all weekend on the airwaves and in the liberal press....ha never heard the like

The one pertinent fact that was left out of the entire story was that the cop involved was actually BLACK-LOL

You are too stupid to realise your latest link proves this is about the victims. Your story actually proves the point we are making, not disproves it.  ;D

The cops are the problem, regardless of their colour. The likely source of the problem though is the incredibly ignorant medieval attitudes of people like yourself, Foxcommander and Hannity. Sadly it appears there are quite of few of you shoot to kill merchants.

There is more to it than simple colour, class is a major factor here. But colour is the easiest way to discriminate in the US. In Ireland it was religion. All the same.

Ah Jaysus Muppet you're losing the plot completely-LOL. I never said that the cops werent the problem-I said that every incident involving an officer and a person of color was not necessarily based on race. (And this article proves that point to a tee)

When  I did make  the point about the Boston cops hammering the $$hite out of a bunch of people (male and female I might add) outside a bar for failing to comply with an order, you jumped down my throat and said that that was t relevant to what happened in TX.

Now you're saying that not alone is police brutalityrelevant, but that's it's the crux of the issue.

So now you're actually agreeing with me

You said 'The one pertinent fact that was left out' was that the cop was black. You thought this turned the story on its head. It doesn't. IT still shows cops being overaggressive to an unarmed black man.

You finally expanded your story on what you witnessed outside a bar in Boston. So what? Post up a video till we have a look. It might prove that cops can be overaggressive to white Irish people too, who knows. You won't tell us. I had made the point that his is also about class, but class is easiest identified by colour where you are.

You seem to think that because you saw cops beating up some people that this makes them beating up blacks ok.

And you think this is an argument?
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: Puckoon on June 11, 2015, 11:22:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 11, 2015, 10:56:46 PM
When you think about it, it is a very sad state of affairs that a university has to have its own police department.

Why?

Does every institution have its own police department? Is this the case with hospitals, massive companies etc? I honestly don't know. I just have never seen a university with its own police department before. I would guess this has more to do with the tragic mass shootings that occur so frequently, and possibly the insane gun laws, rather than any social policy, but again I honestly don't know. Maybe there is a genuine benefit to a strong police presence in college. (Thank God there wasn't any when I was in college, in Belfast, during the troubles - imagine!).

If the mantra of the lunatic fringe is 'obey the law', then surely the law should be simple enough for the common man, and the common cop to understand? If the cops need to be split up into different organisations to deal with a huge diversity of situations, then how on earth can the common man be expected to keep up with all these differences to ensure he is 'obeying' the law?

But regardless, the problem is a small minority of police think they are the law and it is they who should be obeyed. The secondary problem is that there are idiots like Hannity defending them.

MWWSI 2017

Muck Savage

Quote from: muppet on June 12, 2015, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on June 11, 2015, 11:22:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 11, 2015, 10:56:46 PM
When you think about it, it is a very sad state of affairs that a university has to have its own police department.

Why?

Does every institution have its own police department? Is this the case with hospitals, massive companies etc? I honestly don't know. I just have never seen a university with its own police department before. I would guess this has more to do with the tragic mass shootings that occur so frequently, and possibly the insane gun laws, rather than any social policy, but again I honestly don't know. Maybe there is a genuine benefit to a strong police presence in college. (Thank God there wasn't any when I was in college, in Belfast, during the troubles - imagine!).

If the mantra of the lunatic fringe is 'obey the law', then surely the law should be simple enough for the common man, and the common cop to understand? If the cops need to be split up into different organisations to deal with a huge diversity of situations, then how on earth can the common man be expected to keep up with all these differences to ensure he is 'obeying' the law?

But regardless, the problem is a small minority of police think they are the law and it is they who should be obeyed. The secondary problem is that there are idiots like Hannity defending them.

So let me explain. Every city in the US has their own police force. A lot of the universities in the US have as many people as as city and in the case of a private college the grounds are private so they need their own police force. They are needed to keep the place for young kids, first time away from home, underage drinking and of course women from being attacked.

I'm not going to try to defend the Texas cop last week however I do think he felt threatened when he pulled the gun when the crowd went in to save the girl (from looking at the video I think he pulled the gun on a white guy who could have been taken for reaching for a gun).

I don't believe that all these incidents are racially driven. There's a huge PR push behind the 'blacklivesmatter' campaign and are ready to jump on every incident. Cops today are under huge pressure, pull a gun early and get hammered in the media, pull it too late and you could end up dead. The reason that there are so many black men incarcerated is not because of racist cops but because of government/social reason. If the PR people put as much focus on this they would save a lot more black lives, but that's not glamorous or easy for some of the activists.

whitey

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2015/06/wmex_backing_host_michele_mcphee_in_oui_assault_counts

Headline in Boston Herald this morning-LOL

Local Right Wing Radio Host arrested for OUI, resisting arrest and assaulting a state trooper.  Took 3 troopers to subdue her and get the cuffs on resulting in her requiring 20 stitches

#fatwhitedrunkchickslivesmatter

And I have about as much sympathy for her as I had for bikini girl

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2015, 05:10:36 AM
Anybody who says black people should "just obey the law and no harm will come to them" would need to spend a day in America living as a black person to see what it's like.

Why not give us a report then? You never answered me about when you plan to move to Oakland.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

Quote from: whitey on June 12, 2015, 02:19:03 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2015/06/wmex_backing_host_michele_mcphee_in_oui_assault_counts

Headline in Boston Herald this morning-LOL

Local Right Wing Radio Host arrested for OUI, resisting arrest and assaulting a state trooper.  Took 3 troopers to subdue her and get the cuffs on resulting in her requiring 20 stitches

#fatwhitedrunkchickslivesmatter

And I have about as much sympathy for her as I had for bikini girl

Someone broke the law and deserves to be charged. Wait a minute......  ;D

Eamonnca1

And what, prey tell, does my location have to do with the racism of cops? Hmm?

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2015, 06:32:04 PM
And what, prey tell, does my location have to do with the racism of cops? Hmm?

You mentioned that we should walk a mile in another man's shoes. At least you should try it first and then give us a report of how it goes. Or do you like pontificating from the ivory tower too much?

Eamonnca1

He tells black people to just stop getting shot and them asks me about life in the ivory tower.

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2015, 08:09:44 PM
He tells black people to just stop getting shot and them asks me about life in the ivory tower.

Have fun in Oakland. Can't wait to hear how you get on....

Eamonnca1

I hang out in Oakland occasionally. What of it?

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2015, 08:57:43 PM
I hang out in Oakland occasionally. What of it?

Which neighbourhoods?  ;D

Eamonnca1

"None of", "your," and "business."

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2015, 09:15:34 PM
"None of", "your," and "business."

LOL - You mean one where there are Chai Latte's and Couscous ;)
Make sure the nice police officers are keeping an eye out for you.