Grants Again

Started by Baile Brigín 2, May 11, 2021, 11:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

The women are now getting the same grant of €1,200 as the men, taken from what was originally the Olympian fund.

Positive in terms of equality but reopens the old Jerry Kiernan argument and the 'why are the taxpayers paying them at all' discussion.

Personality I cannot see any legitimate reason as to why the taxpayer is paying any sports people and can't see any justification for not extending it to all sports.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/government-to-treble-grants-for-women-intercounty-gaa-players-to-1-200-1.4560392

Louther

If one sport gets it, should all sports not? The previous argument, made by GPA during the good times, was the money that was spent following and in the men's GAA. I was always doubtful of this as it was money in circulation in the economy rather than creation of wealth such as overseas spending coming to Ireland. But it did stimulate spending and circulation, so the argument could be made.

Can the Ladies came make the same argument? Say compared to athletics which sees lots of spending in terms of people moving round country for various athletics events, such as cross country, marathons, half marathons, track events etc. Only the Olympic standard get funding. Basketball another sport in cold.

I'd be fan of the ladies game and great to see it getting recognition but it really needs to focus on getting this exposure into people through turn styles and creating its own funding streams. Bar the all Ireland day, crowds have been historically very poor. They need this money to come onboard to create their own infrastructure or come in under the wider GAA umbrella altogether.

They will welcome this money for players. Many others who pursue their own games and hobbies to same level will once again feel out in cold.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Louther on May 11, 2021, 12:38:37 PM
If one sport gets it, should all sports not? The previous argument, made by GPA during the good times, was the money that was spent following and in the men's GAA. I was always doubtful of this as it was money in circulation in the economy rather than creation of wealth such as overseas spending coming to Ireland. But it did stimulate spending and circulation, so the argument could be made.

Can the Ladies came make the same argument? Say compared to athletics which sees lots of spending in terms of people moving round country for various athletics events, such as cross country, marathons, half marathons, track events etc. Only the Olympic standard get funding. Basketball another sport in cold.

I'd be fan of the ladies game and great to see it getting recognition but it really needs to focus on getting this exposure into people through turn styles and creating its own funding streams. Bar the all Ireland day, crowds have been historically very poor. They need this money to come onboard to create their own infrastructure or come in under the wider GAA umbrella altogether.

They will welcome this money for players. Many others who pursue their own games and hobbies to same level will once again feel out in cold.

The media seem to be hitting this point. They launched it under 'equality' but ended up causing a more unequal situation. The lad in the Examiner pointed out Chambers has created a precedent and there will be a queue outside his office for parity funding.

Personally if there is €5.4m available per year to thank people for their voluntary contribution to civic life I would much rather €1,200 went to those who run soup kitchens, wotk with the homeless and whatnot

Angelo

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 11, 2021, 12:49:56 PM

The media seem to be hitting this point. They launched it under 'equality' but ended up causing a more unequal situation. The lad in the Examiner pointed out Chambers has created a precedent and there will be a queue outside his office for parity funding.

Personally if there is €5.4m available per year to thank people for their voluntary contribution to civic life I would much rather €1,200 went to those who run soup kitchens, wotk with the homeless and whatnot

It's a fair point.

The GAA is a cash rich organisation so they should fund this rather than the govt. I can see why govt would fund grants for community facilities like pitches and club houses which can have a positive impact for the local communities but I don't see why the govt should be footing the bill for county players when the GAA generate such massive resources each year.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Angelo on May 12, 2021, 10:12:12 AM

It's a fair point.

The GAA is a cash rich organisation so they should fund this rather than the govt. I can see why govt would fund grants for community facilities like pitches and club houses which can have a positive impact for the local communities but I don't see why the govt should be footing the bill for county players when the GAA generate such massive resources each year.

Because if the state pay a player its a grant. If the GAA do its a wage. One is classed as amateur, the other isn't

clonadmad

It's a fair point.

Cash Rich?

Really?

What have they in Cash currently at the minute?

More ill informed nonsense out of you

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: clonadmad on May 12, 2021, 11:59:33 AM

It's a fair point.

Cash Rich?

Really?

Compared to other sports denied access to this grant they are

JoG2

It's a fair point.

Cash Rich?

Really?

How much do they have at present?

Angelo

Quote from: JoG2 on May 12, 2021, 02:02:46 PM

It's a fair point.

Cash Rich?

Really?

€53m in their liquid cash assets in their last published accounts and €110m reserves.

rosnarun

this is just another example of people wanting to Punish the GAA for Keeping control of their spending . yes the GAA is a cash rich organisation  as it hold reserves for major projects such as Pairc i choimh  other major Improvement and to Give grants to Hundreds of clubs each Year.
If you follow the logic of giving money aimed for sport  tp soup kitchens ten we would have no sport no Arts Music or movies and countless other things .
Infact are soup kitchens the most worthy , a prize for naming the best one...
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: rosnarun on May 12, 2021, 04:42:29 PM
this is just another example of people wanting to Punish the GAA for Keeping control of their spending . yes the GAA is a cash rich organisation  as it hold reserves for major projects such as Pairc i choimh  other major Improvement and to Give grants to Hundreds of clubs each Year.
If you follow the logic of giving money aimed for sport  tp soup kitchens ten we would have no sport no Arts Music or movies and countless other things .
Infact are soup kitchens the most worthy , a prize for naming the best one...

What are you talking about?

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on May 12, 2021, 03:52:34 PM

It's a fair point.

Cash Rich?

Really?

€53m in their liquid cash assets in their last published accounts and €110m reserves.

53m at October 2020 but have lost 27m in the 12m to that date with more losses to come in 2021. With lots is restrictions in spending already flagged. Lots of liabilities against the cash balance.

€110m in reserves includes the 53m, and main part of that would be capital assets like Croke Park.

This is, unsurprisingly, a very poor take on 1 figure to call the GAA cash rich. Abs with outlook it will take years to build up its position again. On average the GAA built up €3-5m in surplus per year. In two years it's looking at 50-60m in deficits and to avoid more is relying on state money to keep it going.

GAA isn't cash rich.

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on May 12, 2021, 11:38:53 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 12, 2021, 03:52:34 PM

It's a fair point.

Cash Rich?

Really?

53m at October 2020 but have lost 27m in the 12m to that date with more losses to come in 2021. With lots is restrictions in spending already flagged. Lots of liabilities against the cash balance.

€110m in reserves includes the 53m, and main part of that would be capital assets like Croke Park.

This is, unsurprisingly, a very poor take on 1 figure to call the GAA cash rich. Abs with outlook it will take years to build up its position again. On average the GAA built up €3-5m in surplus per year. In two years it's looking at 50-60m in deficits and to avoid more is relying on state money to keep it going.

GAA isn't cash rich.

53m in cash in a bank.

Net Assets of €110m.

How on God's earth is that not a cash rich organisation?

Louther

You're failure to read and understand what is presented to you is a combination of ignorance and stupidity.

For a start your headline figures are the consolation accounts of Central Council, Croke park stadium (the major asset) and other ventures.

Central council have bled money in 2020 and their reserves are actually a deficit of €8m. From a surplus of €7m in previous year. To spell that out for you - they owe €8m out the door than they have sitting in the house. The year before they had €7m sitting in the house. That's gone. Their cash flow has and continues to take a battering.

Those accounts form part of the consolidation. Croke Park is and remains the get out of jail card. It's relatively debt free for what it's worth.

Yes, they have €53m in the bank. When their current liabilities are take into account and what they owe for day to day stuff over the next 12 months, they have a surplus of €35m - this sees the 53 reduced straight away to 35. Still with me?

Then they have commitments to debt and out going's already on the books of another €75m. So straight away the surplus of cash is wiped out going forward unless it is replenished and topped up. Outcome for that isn't good in next 12 months.

So where does this reserve figure if €110m come from. Basically the value of Croke Park, Abbotstown, farm in St Margaret's and their other assets, not liquid assets but capital items, are valued at €141m. That's what they consider them to worth if sold in the morning - not going to happen.

The reserves are what's left of that €141m when all their other assets and liabilities are paid up. So they don't have €110m sitting about or even the €53m sitting in cash ready to be spent. It's going to get worse and need Government money once again to keep the show on the road.

They GAA always operated on keeping small surplus year on year and spend rest through games and capital investment. The major source of funds ie people through the gates and using the likes of Croke park will be gone for best part of 18 months and counting.

It will take years. They are in a similar position to the FAI in terms of central council funds but the major difference, thankfully, is years of prudent financial mgt where they have major assets paid for that generated funds. FAI have a share in a major asset that they haven't paid for and isn't generating funds and they borrowed from the future to keep it going.

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on May 13, 2021, 10:52:23 AM
You're failure to read and understand what is presented to you is a combination of ignorance and stupidity.

For a start your headline figures are the consolation accounts of Central Council, Croke park stadium (the major asset) and other ventures.

Central council have bled money in 2020 and their reserves are actually a deficit of €8m. From a surplus of €7m in previous year. To spell that out for you - they owe €8m out the door than they have sitting in the house. The year before they had €7m sitting in the house. That's gone. Their cash flow has and continues to take a battering.

Those accounts form part of the consolidation. Croke Park is and remains the get out of jail card. It's relatively debt free for what it's worth.

Yes, they have €53m in the bank. When their current liabilities are take into account and what they owe for day to day stuff over the next 12 months, they have a surplus of €35m - this sees the 53 reduced straight away to 35. Still with me?

Then they have commitments to debt and out going's already on the books of another €75m. So straight away the surplus of cash is wiped out going forward unless it is replenished and topped up. Outcome for that isn't good in next 12 months.

So where does this reserve figure if €110m come from. Basically the value of Croke Park, Abbotstown, farm in St Margaret's and their other assets, not liquid assets but capital items, are valued at €141m. That's what they consider them to worth if sold in the morning - not going to happen.

The reserves are what's left of that €141m when all their other assets and liabilities are paid up. So they don't have €110m sitting about or even the €53m sitting in cash ready to be spent. It's going to get worse and need Government money once again to keep the show on the road.

They GAA always operated on keeping small surplus year on year and spend rest through games and capital investment. The major source of funds ie people through the gates and using the likes of Croke park will be gone for best part of 18 months and counting.

It will take years. They are in a similar position to the FAI in terms of central council funds but the major difference, thankfully, is years of prudent financial mgt where they have major assets paid for that generated funds. FAI have a share in a major asset that they haven't paid for and isn't generating funds and they borrowed from the future to keep it going.

You clearly are about as useful with figures as you are with words.

53m in cash reserves at the close of the year means they are a cash rich organisation.

If they had a bank overdraft or very low cash reserves it would mean they are not a cash rich organisation.

I think you should maybe go and educate yourself a little better in future.