What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzz

Switchover in Northern ireland is 2012.  Its entirely up to you how often you buy a tv.  As you know if you buy one today tomorrow there will be a better model out.  If you plan to hook it up to Sky or Virgin then you dont need a TV that can receive digital as the Sky or Virgin Box will take care of this for you.

At the minute you cannot receive freeview but before the complete switch over you will be able to receive it.  When that is I have no clue. 

Choice is all yours...

Karl Kennedy

Quote from: Muzz on August 05, 2009, 04:45:42 PM
Switchover in Northern ireland is 2012.  Its entirely up to you how often you buy a tv.  As you know if you buy one today tomorrow there will be a better model out.  If you plan to hook it up to Sky or Virgin then you dont need a TV that can receive digital as the Sky or Virgin Box will take care of this for you.

At the minute you cannot receive freeview but before the complete switch over you will be able to receive it.  When that is I have no clue. 

Choice is all yours...

Cheers Muzz.
I already have Sky and just intend getting a magic eye for the tv I am going to buy. I guess getting a freeview will do know harm cos then other people can watch tv in the kitchen using the freeview instead of watching same channel on the sky box in the living room.
Sure I cant go wrong with a samsung 22" ???

There was a alba 19" in argos that had caught my eye for just £129

Muzz

If you want others to be able to watch the TV in the kitchen they can watch it on analogue...Dont need Freeview for that.

Karl Kennedy

Aye I know that Muzz but come the switch over sure the free will do the same job anyhow. I know its few yrs down da line all the same.
Not much point putting up an aerial for round £100 for just 4 channels ???

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on August 05, 2009, 05:00:12 PM
Aye I know that Muzz but come the switch over sure the free will do the same job anyhow. I know its few yrs down da line all the same.
Not much point putting up an aerial for round £100 for just 4 channels ???
Do you not need the aerial up anyway for freeview?

Bud Wiser

I am surprised that since the original post indicated that the main reason for the purchase was to watch sports that nobody has mentioned refresh rates. I am at the same stage, throwing out UPC and getting Sky and in order to be somewhat future-proof I won't be buying a telly that has not got 200Hz refresh.  I explained all this to a customer d'other day and he went ahead and choose the cheaper option. I don't care whether its a Sony or a Skoda but with new recording and filming techniques I would not settle for less than 200Hz.  In yer mans case I was fitting cctv in his pub and he just asked me to fit the tellys.  Now when somone passes a ball or hits a fast shot you would think it was been passed through 3" of water with all the streaks behind it.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Mhic Easmuint

I'm looking about a TV at the minute.  About a 32 inch.
Been looking at this one: http://www.dabs.com/products/toshiba-32rv635db-32--full-hd-ready-5HV0.html?refs=51830000-4294952756

How does it rate? 
Or would there be a better place to buy from?

delboy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 06, 2009, 07:00:27 AM
I am surprised that since the original post indicated that the main reason for the purchase was to watch sports that nobody has mentioned refresh rates. I am at the same stage, throwing out UPC and getting Sky and in order to be somewhat future-proof I won't be buying a telly that has not got 200Hz refresh.  I explained all this to a customer d'other day and he went ahead and choose the cheaper option. I don't care whether its a Sony or a Skoda but with new recording and filming techniques I would not settle for less than 200Hz.  In yer mans case I was fitting cctv in his pub and he just asked me to fit the tellys.  Now when somone passes a ball or hits a fast shot you would think it was been passed through 3" of water with all the streaks behind it.

If refresh rate is such an issue for you, maybe a plasma would be the best way to go.

Main Street

Bud would not consider buying a TV that is not the subject of a discount for GPA members.

lynchbhoy

was looking again the other day for a telly for the kitchen.
200mhz refresh rate I think it is so that will keep Bud happy.

the harvey norman salesman was v keen on phillips tv's.
I could get a 32" HD LCD and wall mounting bracket for €450

he was showing me demos of the colours that a phillips could display and then when he switched this over to a samsung - it couldnt display the full range of blacks, whites and the other colours were not as vibrant.
id be inclined to go for this...

Mhic Easmuint

What model was the philips? 
Looking for a 32" but no wall bracket. 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on December 07, 2009, 03:23:33 PM
What model was the philips? 
Looking for a 32" but no wall bracket.
model no written down at home

Shazam

Shazam Bang

Tony Baloney

You must have some living room to fit a 50" inch tv and watch it in comfort! Having said that you'll never go far wrong with a Panasonic tv. Check out www.trustedreviews.com as they usually do a fairly comprehensive run down of features, sound and picture quality, value for money etc.

David McKeown

Quote from: Shazam on December 27, 2009, 03:01:27 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-32LH3000-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B001UHMT4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261924822&sr=1-1
Does anyone know anything about this tv. I will be using it mainly for the PS3.

I got the next model up from this for 20 quid more about 3 months ago and find it brilliant, easily the best tv Ive had.  This one seems to get similar reviews
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner