What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Lads, will be moving into a house shortly and need to buy a new TV for the sitting room. Probably either a 32" or 42" - haven't decided yet.
Am just wondering what type of TV would be regarded as the better buy - e.g. LCD vs Plasma vs CRT etc. and HD ready vs HD enabled etc?
I haven't a clue what these different types of TVs mean or what HD ready vs HD enabled means.
I would watch quite a lot of sport if that makes a difference?
Cheers

ziggysego

I'm on the market for one too. Is Freesat worth getting for HD channels?
Testing Accessibility

kinghen

this is of interest to me also, we are in the process of moving house at the minute and the aul pair have come to me on advice for which tv to get, for me the bigger the better really, im plumpin for a 42 inch maybe a 52 at a push, is hd worth the extra money, suppose it'll me mostly for sports and possibly films at the weekend (and a weekly dose of greys anatomy  :-[ )

The Real Laoislad

Wouldn't buy anything only Sony
You'll Never Walk Alone.

nifan

I have a samsung and its excellent, panasonic, toshiba etc also can be excellent.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: kinghen on September 17, 2008, 05:01:58 PM
this is of interest to me also, we are in the process of moving house at the minute and the aul pair have come to me on advice for which tv to get, for me the bigger the better really, im plumpin for a 42 inch maybe a 52 at a push, is hd worth the extra money, suppose it'll me mostly for sports and possibly films at the weekend (and a weekly dose of greys anatomy  :-[ )

I can't honestly see the difference between HD and Standard,I hear people saying there is a massive difference but i just can't see any
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ExiledGael

Have a Samsung 37" and haven't had a problem.
Forget about the Plasma and maybe just get the LCD HD ready but you pay extra for anything to do with the HD and then you've to pay extra to Sky or whoever to recieve all your channels in HD mode. Waste of money for very little difference if you ask me.

Jack_Black

over 42" and its a plasma,  up to 42" i would go for an LCD. - buy HD ready only

again with most things it all depends on how much you are willing to spend on a TV

most makes are very good, from the Sony, Panny, samsung, LG etc.

DownFanatic

I used to work part time in an electrical shop which sold its fair share of tv's. 1 make and 1 make only to go for - the Panasonic Viera range. These tv's are the best about by a country mile and the majority of experts will tell you this.

Generally the rule of thumb is that if you are going to go above 37", go for a plasma. Anything below 37", an LCD is your best bet. Basically LCD tv's have a liquid crystal display while plasma tv's are filled with gas.

Another issue to take on board is where the tv is going. Big living rooms and sitting rooms are brilliant for plasmas while smaller rooms are more suited to LCD's. One very important thing to note is the amount of light in the room you are going to put the tv in. If there is a substantial amount of light coming in then an LCD is wholly advisable. However, if light is at a minumum then go for a plasma as they will show deeper colours in darker rooms.

IF you opt for a 42" then the TH42PZ81B Plasma HD 1080p would be your best bet. This also comes with FreeSat built in. You will probably pay in and around £1000 for this model. Of course there are also entry level HD ready Panasonic 42's which you will get for around £700 to £800 but if you want to go for the latest and most up to date one then it has to be the TH42PZ81B Plasma HD 1080p.

Jack_Black

this is a nice little sony which is just out / coming out

sony 40W4500

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 17, 2008, 05:37:03 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 17, 2008, 05:07:35 PM
Most Sony products are good (provided they don't f**k up your computer) but overpriced, driven by brand snobs who never give any thought to anything else despite good recommendations.

Last year I bought a Hanspree 32 inch LCD HD ready shipped from England for £350 all in on the basis of good recommendations on various AV message boards. Have to say its impressive and matches or beats anything twice the price.

One thing about anyone looking to buy a TV with a built in DTT or DVB-T or "Freeview" tuner - almost all such displays will only work for the current UK Freeview service and won't work for the Irish Republic's DTT service which is due to launch next year.

For a judgement of opinions on any TV's you have your eye on, check out the Digital Spy or AV Forums UK message boards.

I wouldn't call myself a "brand snob" I am just going on my own experience whern buying tellys..I have never had any bother with Sony's and now have a 42" Bravia which i find excellent...I'm certainly not a snob
You'll Never Walk Alone.

bennydorano

Quote from: ExiledGael on September 17, 2008, 05:32:26 PM
Have a Samsung 37" and haven't had a problem.
Forget about the Plasma and maybe just get the LCD HD ready but you pay extra for anything to do with the HD and then you've to pay extra to Sky or whoever to recieve all your channels in HD mode. Waste of money for very little difference if you ask me.

Pay extra??  If you have a Sky subscription would you not get the HD channels free if you bought a HD ready TV (as I'm about to do).  Also, I assume there is no way I could keep my Annalouge RTE channels if I upgrade? :( (I know I'll have it digitally but I'm thinking about blocked out soccer and the like.)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 17, 2008, 05:59:34 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 17, 2008, 05:51:05 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 17, 2008, 05:37:03 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 17, 2008, 05:07:35 PM
Most Sony products are good (provided they don't f**k up your computer) but overpriced, driven by brand snobs who never give any thought to anything else despite good recommendations.

Last year I bought a Hanspree 32 inch LCD HD ready shipped from England for £350 all in on the basis of good recommendations on various AV message boards. Have to say its impressive and matches or beats anything twice the price.

One thing about anyone looking to buy a TV with a built in DTT or DVB-T or "Freeview" tuner - almost all such displays will only work for the current UK Freeview service and won't work for the Irish Republic's DTT service which is due to launch next year.

For a judgement of opinions on any TV's you have your eye on, check out the Digital Spy or AV Forums UK message boards.

I wouldn't call myself a "brand snob" I am just going on my own experience whern buying tellys..I have never had any bother with Sony's and now have a 42" Bravia which i find excellent...I'm certainly not a snob
Buying products simply because of the badge stuck to it is never the best of ideas. If you only ever stick to Sony's that's fine, but they've built up a reputation whereby people will buy nothing else other than their products and charge more because they know they can get away with it whereas a little shopping around (with a friend or relation if necessary who knows the field) can get just as good a product for around usually a 1/3 less. The "brand snob" tag is more about blind loyalty to one producer/salesperson/group more than its monetary value.
Certainly don't need a friend or a relative who knows the field, I am a gadget freak and know exactly what is good and what isn't and what all the terminology means
In my experience and in my opinion these products you buy for 1/3 of the price of the top brands never last as long..Its like buying a Skoda and expecting it to last as long as a VW
You'll Never Walk Alone.

girt_giggler

A house not too far away from mine went up in the flames a few weeks back.  Cause = the plasma TV!!

ziggysego

Did they leave it on all night?
Testing Accessibility