What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Samsung is not a model. It is a manufacturer.

Samsung, like LG and Panasonic etc, make cheap TVs and they make very expensive TVs. Quality and performance varies massively

galwayman

Quote from: gallsman on November 23, 2018, 10:10:26 PM
Focus more on the screen technology then simply the size of the make. You can of course get LG or Samsung TVs but you should look at OLED or QLED after that, asking with refresh rates, HDR etc rather than just jump to the size.

Bang for your buck, the top models from TCL are hard to beat.

I went all out a few days ago and bought the 65 inch Samsung Q9FN. It's stunning.
Torn between a Samsung QLED & an LG OLED at 65 inches myself.
The possibility of burn-in is putting me off taking a risk on an OLED at the moment.
A friend got a Samsung Nu8000 and is very happy with it

gallsman

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ802 as well. Look up the Trusted Reviews review of it on YouTube.

The LG C8, Samsung Q9FN and the Panasonic above (Along with the FZ952, which is the same TV with an integrated soundbar) are generally considered the top end retail models, with Sony's AF8 and AF9 a bit behind.

I wouldn't overly worry about screen burn.

Boycey

Quote from: gallsman on November 23, 2018, 10:19:17 PM
Samsung is not a model. It is a manufacturer.

Samsung, like LG and Panasonic etc, make cheap TVs and they make very expensive TVs. Quality and performance varies massively

I've looked at those TCLs everyday since you brought them to my attention but can't bring myself to buy one. They seem to be miles inferior to ones they sell in America for every great review I see I also come across a mixed one..

I bought an nvidea shield yesterday on Amazon that looks to be a serious piece of kit and I'm gonna get an LG 4k over the next couple of days

gallsman

They are inferior in that they're edge lit rather than a full array and they also don't have Roku built it but they're still great TVs for the price you pay. Top of the range? No, but very good value.

Don't just look at 4K, any new TV anyone is buying these days should be 4K. Think about what it is you want from your TV, what you plan to use it for, where you plan to use it etc.

Boycey

Ah look i know TCLs are very good TV's but I can't convince myself they're sufficiently better than similar priced Samsung's/LGs at present to warrant buying one.

Main Street

I have a 55" 4k TCL, (u55 c7006) It was reduced  and a good quality  choice at the cheap end of the available choices.
I didn't have much money at the time and didn't think my fortunes would change any time soon.  If that's your situation then consider TCL.  Now I have a bit more cash and I might look for a better one in the new year, pick up  a returned purchase.  My last tv, a top end 42" Panny plasma did me for 10 years, but already after one year I want to move on from the TCL.
In regards to size, I regret not getting a 65".  I'd say get the biggest that will fit and that you can afford. Don't choose 55 when 65 will fit, as the price diff is not that big. I'd hazard a guess that fewer folk regret going for a 65 than those who regret choosing a 55".

gallsman

At the higher end of the market, the difference between 55in and 65in can be a 1000 quid or more.

balladmaker

I've had Sony, Panasonic and LG ... imo LG the best by a mile for picture, sound and smart features.

Applesisapples

Panasonic best all round and good value.

gallsman

Quote from: balladmaker on November 24, 2018, 08:27:05 AM
I've had Sony, Panasonic and LG ... imo LG the best by a mile for picture, sound and smart features.

Again that's a very throwaway statement that doesn't mean much unless you dig into it. Oled displays have deeper, truer blacks and better viewing angles. Backlit TVs can get much brighter and are better in bright rooms or beside Windows. Sony TV's are the best at motion processing.

Saying "LG have the best picture quality"  is misleading because picture quality is made up of many different components, each of which the different manufacturers are better or worse at.

balladmaker

QuoteSaying "LG have the best picture quality"  is misleading

I said it was my opinion, I can only speak from my experience and what I consider to be best picture quality from the TV's I've had.

Boycey

Oh ffs more choices, 8k tv  ;D https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46403539

QuoteNHK says it has been developing 8K, which it calls super-hi vision, since 1995.

As well as improved picture resolution, broadcasts can include 24 channels of audio for immersive surround sound experiences.

It is hoping to broadcast the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games using the new format.

Television manufacturers including Samsung and LG have announced 8K-capable television sets, but they are still prohibitively expensive for widespread adoption

Japanese electronics-maker Sharp began selling its first 8K television in 2015. At launch it cost $133,000 (£104,000). Currently, a Samsung 8K television costs about $15,000 (£11,700) to buy.

Viewers will also need an 8K-capable satellite receiver. Sharp produces one that costs 250,000 yen (£1,750; $2,200). It requires four HDMI cables to get the pictures into a Sharp TV set, and another cable for sound

gallsman

Sure there's a Samsung one, the 900R that's been available for retail for the last month or more. 65in version is about 5k sterling.

Problem is, the One Connect box they use can't actually process 8K at the minute. They've said they'll fix it with a firmware update next year.

armaghniac

8k might suit pubs etc, doubtful if it would add much to a semi D living room.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B