What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 07, 2012, 05:45:10 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on March 07, 2012, 05:06:34 PM
Any bargains to be had @ the minute?

What's the most important criteria to look out for and what are the best brands?

Thinking between 46-50''.
Good bargains for those screen sizes tend not to be as common as they are for the 32"-42" ranges. Also you'll have missed the boat concerning after-Christmas sales bargains. A quick check throws up a couple of Panasonic TV's, a 50 inch plasma and a 46 inch 3D TV at £549 each. Both are full HD (1920x1080 pixels), have Freeview HD tuners and have internet connectivity, but Panny have developed a reputation over the last few years in not supporting their products as well as other manufacturers. There's also an LG 47" on Amazon at £550 which is also Full HD but lacks Smart TV applications and is Freeview only, so no Freeview HD.

Thanks.  Will take a look at those models.

laceer

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 07, 2012, 05:45:10 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on March 07, 2012, 05:06:34 PM
Any bargains to be had @ the minute?

What's the most important criteria to look out for and what are the best brands?

Thinking between 46-50''.
Good bargains for those screen sizes tend not to be as common as they are for the 32"-42" ranges. Also you'll have missed the boat concerning after-Christmas sales bargains. A quick check throws up a couple of Panasonic TV's, a 50 inch plasma and a 46 inch 3D TV at £549 each. Both are full HD (1920x1080 pixels), have Freeview HD tuners and have internet connectivity, but Panny have developed a reputation over the last few years in not supporting their products as well as other manufacturers. There's also an LG 47" on Amazon at £550 which is also Full HD but lacks Smart TV applications and is Freeview only, so no Freeview HD.

What site do you use to search for deals on TVs Fionntamhnach?
I'm after a full HD 32" that i can hook up to the laptop

blewuporstuffed

keep an  eye on hotukdeals.com for tv deals , they usually have good deals from the main electrical shops & amazon/play etc
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Shortso79

Looking a 32 Inch TV DVD Combi- if anyone sees a good deal

Don Johnson

Thinking about getting a 50" tv myself.

On this link here:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/televisions/301_3002_30002_xx_BA00002718-BV00171824/xx-criteria.html

I take it there is a difference between 'HD Ready' and 'Full HD'?

Also when you say Panasonic don't support their products? Do you mean if something goes wrong with it you are screwed?

theskull1

I assume he's talking about them not being very good at supplying firmware updates to old models.

My 3/4 yr old panny has an Ethernet port but I never did get the firmware to make use of it that the sales guy promised would come. Forces me to buy new if I want to avail of those features
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

laceer

Cheers for the advice lads

muppet

Question for the tech heads here:

I am thinking of getting an iMac to double as a second TV/DVD player for junior. AFAIK the 27" is the biggest going. The question is can the iMac successfully double as a TV/DVD player and what issues should I be considering? Cheers.
MWWSI 2017

AQMP

Looking for a bit of advice lads. 

I live in Co Fermanagh.  I'm going to upgrade the telly.  I'm currently working off a (admittedly great) 10 year old Toshiba.  I've a Freeview box attached with digital recorder built in.  So I'm watching RTE et al off the analogue system and can't record off them.  I've seen tellys advertised as being "Saorview Ready".  What does this actually mean?  The Freeview HD enabling is advertised for 24 October.  Basically I want (if possible) to be able to record championship games and the Sunday Game without four different boxes and 2 miles of cable.

Somebody mentioned the Sony Bravia?

Any suggestions?

Main Street

Quote from: AQMP on March 15, 2012, 10:06:26 AM
Looking for a bit of advice lads. 

I live in Co Fermanagh.  I'm going to upgrade the telly.  I'm currently working off a (admittedly great) 10 year old Toshiba.  I've a Freeview box attached with digital recorder built in.  So I'm watching RTE et al off the analogue system and can't record off them.  I've seen tellys advertised as being "Saorview Ready".  What does this actually mean? 
It means the Saorview MPEG4 decoding is inbuilt into the tv, you won't need the separate box between the antenna and the tv.
Those tv's are also called idtv's,  integrated digital tuning built in.

clarshack

got this in january sale:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-50pz550t-full-hd-50-plasma-3d-tv-10096292-pdt.html

have to say it's an excellent tv.

sky hd is amazing.

also watched piranha on 3d blu-ray and kelly brook swimming naked in 3D was a highlight!.

gallsman

Moving in with a few friends in July and we're looking at getting a big bugger for the likes of Sky Sports in HD etc. Amazon sent me this yesterday:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007K6HXXY/ref=pe_160961_30070421_pe_vfe_dt7

Looks incredible but it would absolutely break the bank. Is there any value in something like this at all (I can't see the smart features being used that much) when you can get 3D 50" TVs for less than half the price?

andoireabu

Need some help.  Recently got a new tv with freeview channels built in but the aeriel won't pick them up.  So went to look about a digital aeriel and got quoted £150.  At uni we had a wee crappy portable thing that was £10 and did the trick as long as you got the position but was looking something better than that.  Anybody know what I should be looking for?  Currys have a few between £30 and £60 but I wouldn't know enough to know which is best.

Cheers
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

J OGorman

Quote from: andoireabu on May 24, 2012, 02:04:23 PM
Need some help.  Recently got a new tv with freeview channels built in but the aeriel won't pick them up.  So went to look about a digital aeriel and got quoted £150.  At uni we had a wee crappy portable thing that was £10 and did the trick as long as you got the position but was looking something better than that.  Anybody know what I should be looking for?  Currys have a few between £30 and £60 but I wouldn't know enough to know which is best.

Cheers

Im assuming its an outdoor aerial DA? I know a good aerial man in the city (not sure if your handy). I can send you the details. Not sure the price now, but he supplied me with a good outdoor digital aerial, supplied and fitted for 90 sterlings

andoireabu

Quote from: J OGorman on May 24, 2012, 02:11:12 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on May 24, 2012, 02:04:23 PM

Cheers

Im assuming its an outdoor aerial DA? I know a good aerial man in the city (not sure if your handy). I can send you the details. Not sure the price now, but he supplied me with a good outdoor digital aerial, supplied and fitted for 90 sterlings
The one in the house at the minute is in the attic so i was hoping to just replace that in the same way.  The brother would be able to fit it and all so I was just looking a model or something like that.  Is the man you know private or has he a shop?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!