What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Mother wants a small cheap tv for a bedroom in Donegal.  House has a decent aeriel and gets RTE/BBC etc in main room.  If I buy her a tv in the north will she be able to use the smart apps and pick up digital channels etc in the bedroom
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

armaghniac

Quote from: David McKeown on July 13, 2022, 03:35:02 PM
Mother wants a small cheap tv for a bedroom in Donegal.  House has a decent aeriel and gets RTE/BBC etc in main room.  If I buy her a tv in the north will she be able to use the smart apps and pick up digital channels etc in the bedroom

This should not be a problem, you may have to change the country setting on the tv. However, the likes of the BBC will not work on an app in Donegal without a lot of VPN stuff, you'd might be better to extend the aerial cable. All4 does work in the ROI and is a good resource, but you may have to set the TV briefly to UK to install the app.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

David McKeown

Quote from: armaghniac on July 13, 2022, 03:50:53 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on July 13, 2022, 03:35:02 PM

This should not be a problem, you may have to change the country setting on the tv. However, the likes of the BBC will not work on an app in Donegal without a lot of VPN stuff, you'd might be better to extend the aerial cable. All4 does work in the ROI and is a good resource, but you may have to set the TV briefly to UK to install the app.

Thanks
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Dougal Maguire

We need to replace an 8 year old 42" Panasonic Viera LED which appears to have given up the ghost. I'd like something similar but which is suited for watching streamed tv on a Firestick. Without breaking the bank is there any makes anyone can recommend?
Careful now

gallsman

The only requirement to watch from a fire stick is to have HDMI, which every TV for nearly 15 years has had. If you want to watch 4K from a 4K firestick, you need a 4K TV.

Literally almost anything will do.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: gallsman on September 01, 2022, 02:23:53 PM
The only requirement to watch from a fire stick is to have HDMI, which every TV for nearly 15 years has had. If you want to watch 4K from a 4K firestick, you need a 4K TV.

Literally almost anything will do.
Thanks for that
Careful now

Jim Bob

Anyone any clue about this one re tv Ariel's
I have a six way Ariel splitter in my attic.
When I connect a tv to one of the Ariels it will not pick up a number of channels. No signal. However when I bring it to another Ariel in the house it will pick up all channels. Can't understand this   Any ideas??

armaghniac

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 18, 2023, 05:32:11 PM
When I connect a tv to one of the Ariels it will not pick up a number of channels. No signal. However when I bring it to another Ariel in the house it will pick up all channels. Can't understand this   Any ideas??

I'm not sure that I understand. Do you have one aerial and six ports feeding off it. Do you have more than one aerial?
If the TV gets stations on one cable and not another, then it could be related to the length of the cable and distance from the aerial.
In the north some of the stations are broadcast at a lower power than others. Which stations do you not get?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jim Bob

Quote from: armaghniac on August 18, 2023, 10:14:35 PM

I'm not sure that I understand. Do you have one aerial and six ports feeding off it. Do you have more than one aerial?
If the TV gets stations on one cable and not another, then it could be related to the length of the cable and distance from the aerial.
In the north some of the stations are broadcast at a lower power than others. Which stations do you not get?

I have one ariel in my attic which is connected to an electric 6 way box splitter.  From this box I have 6 ariel cables going out to 6 rooms in the house. I have a tv in each room. In one room when I attach a tv to the Ariel I cannot get any HD channels when I tune it.   If I bring that TV to any of the other rooms I will get all the channels .. just don't understand why in one room it won't pick up the same amount of channels when it's coming from the same Ariel.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 18, 2023, 11:42:42 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 18, 2023, 10:14:35 PM

I have one ariel in my attic which is connected to an electric 6 way box splitter.  From this box I have 6 ariel cables going out to 6 rooms in the house. I have a tv in each room. In one room when I attach a tv to the Ariel I cannot get any HD channels when I tune it.   If I bring that TV to any of the other rooms I will get all the channels .. just don't understand why in one room it won't pick up the same amount of channels when it's coming from the same Ariel.

It sounds like you might have a poor connection in that one room. I would swap two of the cables in the 6 way box splitter, one that leads to a room which is working perfectly with the one that leads to the room which isn't picking up channels. Test it again then with the same TV.

Depending on the results you could narrow it down to potentially a back cable connection, or wall plate connection.

Jim Bob

Thanks for replies.

Is there a difference in the qualities of tv Ariel cables or are they all roughly the same.
   I have a standard brown Ariel cable  going from the splitter to this particular room. Was going to replace it with one from Amazon to see if the lead was the problem.

Jim Bob

So it's basically  a Firestick tv ? Can you sideload apps onto it for your own personal apps 😜?