Well Done Westmeath

Started by Croí na hÉireann, April 20, 2008, 11:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Wasn't at the game as was up in Clones but well done to the Lakers down in Limerick, Div 2 trophy to add to the 2 Ring Cups in de trophy room. Full steam ahead for the Dubs now...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

I was in at it, and fair play to them indeed. They were by far the more accomplished hurlers, and apart from a brief 10 minute spell when Carlow drew level at 6 points apiece, they always looked in control. It's hard to judge them in comparison to the more elevated counties from a game like that, because the pace was so much slower than the game afterwards, but there did seem to be a marked difference in first touch, striking etc etc. Having said that, there were some very good scores, especially from Westmeath, and they have a fine spine of a team with Greville (Is he related to the ex-goalie Sean? he was also Raharney I think), McCormack, Murtagh and John Shaw. Greg Gavin, Paddy Dowdall and Enda Loughlin also looked to have real promise, and they were well, well worth their win. Fair play to them, and fair play to Westmeath on a good day all around yesterday. Division 1 in both codes is a great achievement for Westmeath, so well done.

Ye bastards. :D

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2008, 10:46:38 AM
Having said that, there were some very good scores, especially from Westmeath, and they have a fine spine of a team with Greville (Is he related to the ex-goalie Sean? he was also Raharney I think), McCormack, Murtagh and John Shaw. Greg Gavin, Paddy Dowdall and Enda Loughlin also looked to have real promise, and they were well, well worth their win.

Paul Greville is Seans son. Is good enough to be in the football team too, but hurling is his number 1.

AZOffaly

I was thinking that. He has the same build as well :D

Lecale2

Well done Westmeath indeed. I watched the second half on TG4 and they were the better team and fully deserved the win.

QuoteDivision 1 in both codes is a great achievement for Westmeath, so well done.

I don't think there's any promotion this year due to the restructuring of the leagues.

AZOffaly

Really? I thought 1 of the Division 2 teams would go up. That's a pity.

imtommygunn

With the restructuring they'll kind of get up anyway AZ.

They will be in division 2 but it'll be a proper division 2 not this A and B nonsense. Wexford will be in there and so will some of the other teams who played division 1 this year. Laois for a start but I think the bottom 2 from each of 1a and 1b.

AZOffaly

I know Offaly, Wexford, Laois and Antrim are in Division 2 next year. I just assumed the winners of division 2 this year would go up. Now that I think about it though, I think you are right.

So it will be Offaly, Wexford, Laois, Antrim, Westmeath, Carlow, Down and Kerry in division 2, is that it?

Mentalman

That's the one. I think, despite our bitching about no promotion from Division 1, and no Liam McCarthy for the Christy Ring win (although it shoud ldefinitely be the curtain raiser to a semi-final), we'd have to be honest and say next years Division 2 will be a serious help to all the "weaker" counties, and should give us in particular a basis to measure ourselves and improve. Should be some great games in there. And anyway, we're Westmeath, we love to bitch and moan :)

Well done to the lads, yet again, the hurler have a had a great couple of years in the new structures.

On the other point, when you compare it to the Division 1 final, it's almost like a different sport, the difference in class is immense. I felt the same a couple of years back after we beat Down in the Ring final, watching Cork and Clare was like from a different planet. But hopefully we can improve and someday maybe at least be competitive.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

TBT

whatever happened that young minor star who Tom Ryan referred to as the Wayne Rooney of hurling a few yrs back. Cosgrove I think.

Bord na Mona man

Well done to Westmeath.
I wonder would Offaly swap Johnny for Joe as manager?

It is unfortunate that the year Westmeath win Div 2, there is no promotion to Division 1.
For championship, I think Dublin have improved a bit since 2006, so a repeat win looks a tricky task this year.

AZOffaly

I was wondering the same thing BnM. There's no valid comparison of course, at least until they play the same teams, or against each other, but Johnny wasted no time in making changes if he felt they were needed yesterday. The corner forward, who had scored freely in the league according to the programme, Niall Kilcoyne, was taken off after about 20 minutes because he wasn't going well.

Mentalman

Yeah, he doesn't mess around when it comes to taking lads off. Also helps that he has lads experienced at that level to go in who can do a job. Took off both corner forwards yesterday. That's an area where you can really tell the difference between the developing counties and the established ones - we've struggled to produce corner forwards to compete at the business end of championships/leagues.

As for Dublin, we'd be very lucky to reporduce 2006, when you consider the conditions that game was played in had a big bearing on the result. Who knows though, we could get monsoon conditions again and a Dublin side who didn't fancy it on the day.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

imtommygunn

I think that's it AZ with those 8 that you listed.

To be honest Westmeath will be fit to compete in here - though not win it - so it'll serve them much better than playing the Kilkenny's etc in division 1 as they're a good bit short of that just yet. I thought they were a right bit better than Carlow and the scoreline flattered Carlow but that's not to try and take away from Carlow as they fought hard.

I wouldn't be too confident if Antrim were to play them on current form - I know that for sure!

shark

Quote from: TBT on April 21, 2008, 02:02:04 PM
whatever happened that young minor star who Tom Ryan referred to as the Wayne Rooney of hurling a few yrs back. Cosgrove I think.

Killian Cosgrove your thinking of. He was outstanding in 2005 when Westmeath won the Christy Ring, while still a minor. In the 2004 county final he accounted for every one of Lough Lene Gaels scores, they lost by a point I think. The past couple of years he has had terrible back problems. Not sure of the ins and outs but I believe he has had several operations to try and cure it, but no luck. Iv heard people say that he might never play again, but like I said I dont know the finer details.
His father , Mick, would have been on the (relatively) successful Westmeath team in the 80's along with the aforementioned Sean Greville.  Also, Niall Kilcoyne who played corner forward yesterday is the son of Westmeaths only ever hurling All-Star, David Kilcoyne.