Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on October 20, 2008, 01:17:38 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 20, 2008, 01:05:08 PM
anyone hold out much hope for the Gaels against St Galls in Casement?

none

Oh Dear Max - wrong again.

St Gall 0-07 Cavan Gaels 1-07

cavan4ever

Who played well for the gaels? 

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavan4ever on November 03, 2008, 09:10:34 AM
Who played well for the gaels? 

Dunno, wasn't at it - this is from Hoganstand...

Cavan Gaels secured a 1-7 to 0-7 win over St. Galls at Casement Park thanks to a first half Michael Lyng goal.

Gaels finished with 14-men following the dismissal of Darren Rabbitte in the first half, but their Antrim counterparts were reduced to 13 by the full-time whistle following red cards for Sean Burke and Kevin McGourty.

McGourty's injury-time dismissal compounded Galls woes in a game which saw the hosts miss a lot of scoring opportunities.

With the sides level midway through the second half, and Galls on top in the possession stakes following three well taken points it looked like the Antrim champions could secure a semi-final spot.

However a Ciaran McGourty goal miss and wasted opportunities by Karl Stewart and Aodhan Gallagher opened this game up for a strong Cavan Gaels finish.

In a game full of off-the-ball incidents, no more than three points separated the sides throughout this contest.

It was a scoring spree from Seanie Johnston who finished with five points which ultimately secured a Cavan Gaels win and they will now meet Ballinderry in the semi-final, after the Derry side were 1-11 to 0-10 winners over Latton at Ballinascreen.

cavanmaniac

Jasus, fair play to the Gaels. A Cavan club had to have a decent win in this competition sooner or later but I didn't think it'd be against Galls. Can lightning strike twice now against Ballinderry? At least it's a game on which Max's opinion will be half worth something!

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 02, 2008, 04:46:32 PM

none

myles my predictions along with everyones elses about cavan football are 9 times out of 10 accurate auld hand. 9 times out 10 it is that easy. Betting on cavan teams losing is usually where i make easy money. the odds are always shite but if you bet large amounts, 9 times out of 10 you will get the returns, although small, but still 9 times out of 10 sure money.

Congratualtions to the cavan gaels. I went up to the match in belfast yesterday. I just had a gut feeling about this game. I was talking to one of the St galls players during last week and the confidence was just a little to much. he sounded like a guy who was thinking of the next game, so on that basis i went. And on that basis I didnt bet this time, always wise to check the form before ye bets heavy money, my nose was spot on, thank god.The gaels really went about their business and got seriously stuck inot them. They prevented St galls from playing their usual running game and did not allow the game to flow at the start. It start, stop start type of football. no doubt St galls missed a few chances, but when the game was in the mettling pot with 15 to go you could sense that the gaels believed they could win it.
All joking aside I was delighted to see this team finally get a break in the club c'ship. They have been knocking on the door for some time and surely a win against a quality side like St Galls will help their confidence agianst our own B'dery in 2 wks time. Lyng has some work rate lads. As the Ulser scots would say 'a wee daftie' was your full back Rabitte. Couldn't believe him!!!!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 03, 2008, 01:15:02 PM

none

myles my predictions along with everyones elses about cavan football are 9 times out of 10 accurate auld hand. 9 times out 10 it is that easy. Betting on cavan teams losing is usually where i make easy money. the odds are always shite but if you bet large amounts, 9 times out of 10 you will get the returns, although small, but still 9 times out of 10 sure money.

Congratualtions to the cavan gaels. I went up to the match in belfast yesterday. I just had a gut feeling about this game. I was talking to one of the St galls players during last week and the confidence was just a little to much. he sounded like a guy who was thinking of the next game, so on that basis i went. And on that basis I didnt bet this time, always wise to check the form before ye bets heavy money, my nose was spot on, thank god.The gaels really went about their business and got seriously stuck inot them. They prevented St galls from playing their usual running game and did not allow the game to flow at the start. It start, stop start type of football. no doubt St galls missed a few chances, but when the game was in the mettling pot with 15 to go you could sense that the gaels believed they could win it.
All joking aside I was delighted to see this team finally get a break in the club c'ship. They have been knocking on the door for some time and surely a win against a quality side like St Galls will help their confidence agianst our own B'dery in 2 wks time. Lyng has some work rate lads. As the Ulser scots would say 'a wee daftie' was your full back Rabitte. Couldn't believe him!!!!

Good man max. You said they had no hope 2 weeks ago but your trusty nose started working earlier in the week and you changed your mind! I believe you Max :D.

You are right about Lyng. For such a small guy he really gets stuck in and often turns over ball for the team. What did Rabbitte do that you couldn't believe? He was the last decent FB Cavan had but has been detroyed by injury for the past 3-4 years. So whats your nose telling you about the gaels v Ballinderry match or are you going to wait till the match is over to tell us.

Homer

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 03, 2008, 01:15:02 PM

none

Congratualtions to the cavan gaels. I went up to the match in belfast yesterday. I just had a gut feeling about this game. I was talking to one of the St galls players during last week and the confidence was just a little to much. he sounded like a guy who was thinking of the next game, so on that basis i went. And on that basis I didnt bet this time, always wise to check the form before ye bets heavy money, my nose was spot on, thank god.

:D  :D  :D

Shrewd as they come Max any chance you could update your predictions on here before the match itself and we might believe ya.

Homer

Congrats to the Gaels a great upset for them and one that was long overdue. Hopefully they can keep their feet on the ground now and take Ballinderry.

Were Drung playing yesterday? I know Redhills are waiting on another round to be finished.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Homer on November 03, 2008, 01:31:06 PM
Congrats to the Gaels a great upset for them and one that was long overdue. Hopefully they can keep their feet on the ground now and take Ballinderry.

Were Drung playing yesterday? I know Redhills are waiting on another round to be finished.

Drung got beat by 5 or 6 points yesterday.  Watters was brillant for first 10 minutes and was then double marked and both he and Drung went out of the game.  Got destroyed at midfield Galligan was very poor, he is not a county player.

Well done to the Gaels that was a big win for them yesterday and as much as i don't like them it will do no harm to football in the county to see them making progess in Ulster.

Maximus Marillius

Myles...he was on a yellow and the tackle he hit for his second yelow(which IMo was a straight red) beggars belief considering it was tsill the 1st half. Lads i bet on games..and suzzing the attitude out of another team is what i always i try to do, if it can be done. The St galls lad i talked too had his head where the sun dont shine..crossmaglen was all that he talked about. What do you want me to do come on the board and tell all youse gaels lads who were at the match ;) The gaels had a bucket full of guts yesterday.

BTW lads my nose has made me  few pounds over the years. Made my money on the Ballinderry game yesterday. i know they had a few problems before the game ...a midfielder with food poisioning etc and devlin not playing but i just coldn't see latton doing them. B'drry have an extremely strong panel. Another easy money spinner is cross' game next wk. But it will take about a grand to make any money.

boojangles

Congrats to the Gaels yesterday,a great win for Cavan football.While I didnt predict a result I had a feeling that there was a big game in them and sooner or later these lads had to grow up in Ulster and show what we know most of them are capable of.Ballinderry will be another kettle of fish altogether though.Cavan teams dont have a great record against Derry teams but Im sure they will give it a good shot.The venue could play a big part.
You would have to admire Mick O Dowd in the way he sent out 3 Minors instead of some household names like Karl Crotty who has played Inter-County football at all levels.Some people on this thread said in the last few weeks that the reason that the Gaels would never do anything in Ulster was for reasons such as this,but it worked yesterday.Supposedly Niall Murray was outstanding.
Max is right about Micky Lyng,his work-rate is top class,brilliant man at dispossesing.For a man blessed with such natural ability,his work rate shows that he is not afraid to get stuck in.Cavan football needs Micky Lyng back to his best and its great to hear that he is coming back to himself.
Was at the Regional game in Drumalee yesterday.Annalee gaels(Drumalee,Denn,Ballyhaise,Killygarry and Lavey) played a mixture of about 9 clubs.the game was played at a very high tempo with some great scores from both sides.The Final score was Annalee Gaels 2-13 Sillan Gaels 1-11
Tommy Carr and Peter Reilly were both in attendance.Il try my best at the teams
Annalee Gaels
1.Paddy Galligan Kgarry
2.Darren Smith Lavey
3.Eoin Smith Kgarry
4.Eoin McPhillips Denn
5.Pauric Cahill Kgarry
6.Sean McCormack Bhaise
7.Gary Ferncombe Dlee
8.Donal Thomas Kgarry
9.Enda McCormack Dlee
10.Martin Reilly Kgarry
11.Colm Reilly Bhaise
12.Timmy Looney Dlee
13.Kevin Brady Lavey
14.Daragh Gaffney Dlee
15 Colin Kiernan Denn
Subs:Kevin Donohoe Dlee
       Brendan Murray Kgarry
Sillan Gaels(sorry not as familiar but Il give it a shot)
1.Cootehill goalkeeper
2.Martin lynch CuCus
3.Sean Mcgee Shercock
4.Colm Smith Kingscourt
5.Paddy Smith Kilinkere
6.???
7.????
8.John McCutcheon Cootehill
9.Kingscourt player???
10.Alan Clarke Kcourt
11.Sean Brady Castlerahan
12.Baileboro player Paddy???
13.John Tierney Knockbride
14.PaulMccarney Cootehill
15.Daragh???? Laragh

Denn Forever

Well done CG.  Surprised at the result but I suppose I shouldn't believe the hype.  Well done and where will the next round be played?  Will it be a neutral venue?

Would CG have challenge games before the next round?  If they wanted one, would it be a good idea to play against a county team picked by Tommy Carr et al?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Wasn't at it but I'd have an idea of the Sillan Gaels team. Glen Nulty was in goals, josh Hayes centre half and I think Mickey Reilly from Shercock was playin too so he could have been mid field
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Rasmatazz:)

Lets be honest people , the galls had a bad day, all the gaels boys wanted to do was fight,not for the ball but their opposite number.
They pull the jerseys off the galls boys backs, the no 14 . All he wanted to do was roll about the grass, at one stage i thought he was digging for gold, i tell yea he needs no shorts, that big baby needs a nappy :P, Lets be true, the match was played to the gaels strenghts, that is . Stop start, stop start, foul of the ball looking to get the other guy sent off , they def had the linesmen backing, Galls had lost their descipline during the 2nd half and only themselves to blame , def a bad day at the office for kicking points , but the shit happens , if gaels really want to win ulster they will have to prove that the st galls match was no fluke , me i don't think they will get past the derry boys , thay put a few boys on their backsides for sure  ;D
Good luck anyway the Rass 8)

CC1

Sour grapes eh?? I'm not a Gaels man so I don't really care how they won the game. I'm sure all that matters at the end of the day is the result... Am I right?!  ;)
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."