Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Hard luck to BHM. Wasn't at the game but the brother was and he tells me redhills were well deserving of their win. They have come along way over the past few years. When were they last a senior club? Ballyhaise will come again next year I'm sure. Well done to Drung too.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Agree with most of hat Hollow Man says. The junior game was a little embaressing for Mountnugent. The gulf in class was huge. Ciaran Galligan never got out of first gear and still dominated while I don't think I've ever seen a man get as bad a roasting as Watters gave Kearney. I'd love to see the stats as the amount of wides Drung kicked and the amount that Mountnugent didn't give the scoreline a healthier scoreline than Mountnugent deserved.

Very impressesed with Redhills once they had the ball in their hands. They reminded me of last year's Killeshandra team the way they supported from wing-back and they executed the basic skill of kick-passing to chest superbly. Dunne had a fine first half even if he faded a bit in the second half and I think they have a star in the making in Packie Leddy. Was he on the county minors? I seem to remember two Redhills boys against Tyrone but not sure the names.

I thought Ballyhaise had a good spell in the second half when they moved McCormack out around the middle but the amout of unforced errors they made was unforgiveable none more so than when they got back within two points with about five to go only to give possession away and send Colin Reilly through for a point.

All in all an enjoyable afternoon in the sun. I think I'll give next Sunday a miss.

boojangles

My hands are up,I got the Intermediate wrong.I really felt that Ballyhaise had a big game in them and as Hollow said,Redhills backline was there for the taking but apart from Eamon Costello and Cullivan in the 2nd half (Colm Reilly to a lesser extent) Id struggle to pick anyone else out that did themselves justice.Poor Sucker(Brendan Lyons) wasnt at the races and was at fault for at least 2 scores.
I know its probly not nice for anyone to hear BH Man but I watched you's warm-up and I have to say I really feared for yas from what I seen.The warm up was like one you'd see for a challenge match.Too lethargic,no intensity.I feel sorry for Gerry O Rourke to lose another final as a manager but I really have to question his tactics or lack of them in this case.How Conor Lyons stayed on the field for the full game baffled me.Sean McCormack looked lost at full back and gave Paddy Gumley far too much room.Michael Rooney the same.Barry McCrudden basic skills let him down.
You's were crying out for a real ball-winner like Cullivan at Full-forward,Pickett and Tierney may have worked inside then.The only men who ran at Redhills and opened them up was Costello and Cullivan in the 2nd half,Redhills back line was weak but you's didnt test it near enough.
The difference in the 2 teams was Redhills work rate,they really seemed to want it more.They hassled and made things difficult for Ballyhaise ,never giving them time to settle.
Paddy Gumley who was superb,Packie Leddy and Rocky(Colin Reilly) got the important scores but the work rate of the 2 Wests Pierce and Ciaran was superb.They ran and ran and ran,leaving more room in the forward line for the danger men to do the scoring.
Don't take that the wrong way BH Man,Im sure you's will be back.They say you have to Lose one to Win one.But I don't think you's will get a better chance than you's had yesterday.
Anyway drown your sorrows BH Man and count yourselves lucky that you's arent staring Junior football straight in the face. :'( :'( :'(

anglocelt39

Hard luck BH Man and Boojangles - 5/4 doesn't look so tasty now

Amazing how often the odds on offer take on a different perspective after the event. Tomorrow's newspaper today is indeed top of any punter's wish list.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Hollow Man

True.

I tought Mountnugent were great value and they imploded. On the other hand, anyone who saw Redhills in the earlier rounds and saw Ballyhaise and then tipped the Haise to win it... I just can't figure out the logic there.

Redhills scored a minimum of 2-12 per game in their three games apparently, Ballyhaise's highest score was 1-7 in four matches I think.

The again, we were running up big totals till we met the Gaels :'(

You won't win a championship with scoring totals like that. Against a weak Redhills defence they only got 1-8 yesterday and they were handed the goal on a plate in the first two minutes.

Boojangles, when is your date with destiny?

cavan4ever

Hard luck Ballyhaiseman.  You were beat by the better team but a bit more composure in front of goal and things could have been different.  It's your first final in a whilie and hopefully it will not be too long till you are back again.  Heard some bad stories about the antics of redhills supporters in the nights before the game, its no wonder there not well liked.

As for the Junior final it was a serious mis-match, Drung never looked like losing it.  Watters and Galligan was excellant through out the whole game and neither of them got any protection from the referee.  Galligan had to go to hospital after the game with concussion after a elbow to the head off the ball.  It Mountnugent had of tried to play a bit of football instead of trying to break lads in two they might have made a better game of it.  Givney looks like a decent enough football but was well marked by Alan Curran who had a great game and kicked a lovely point. 

boojangles

Hollow,My logic behind thinking Ballyhaise would win was that Ballyhaise are a Division 1 team the last 4 years,they had beaten 2 Division 1 teams to get to the final,IMO Redhills a Division 2 team had beaten poor enuf opposition.Ballyhaise had struggled through the rounds to get to the final and looked primed for a big game.
Redhills looked like they may have peaked too soon.I was obviously wrong.
The draw for the Intermediate Relegation was made last night. Laragh V Swanlinbar Saturday 25th October.The Losers play Drumalee on the 1st of November. Last chance saloon for the Lilywhites,the way our year has gone it couldnt have been any other way.
Cavan4 Ever what were your views on Man of the Match? While I felt Barry Watters had played well I really felt that Alan Curran deserved the award considering the job he did on Mountnugents danger man,but also in his use of the ball and that wonderful point.IMO as I have seen too many times in this county-the people selecting it just go for the County man because everybody recognises him and nobody would usually disagree.Pure Lazy if you ask me.God forbid a defender would ever get a MOTM Award!!!

cavan4ever

While Alan Curran had a fine game i though Watters deserved to get the award.  He was outstanding from start to finish and really drove at Mountnugent.  He did well to keep his head with all the hits he was taking, although he did lose it and swing out near the end and i believe we have a Mountnugent selector to thank for shouting in at the referee not to send him off.  It was a great team performance though and the only player who wasn't playing well was taking off before half time which would never have happened before under the previous management.

Hollow Man

Curran was good, curtailing Givney to two points from play and getting one himself, but Watters was unbelievable, he scored a point and was involved in practically evry other score, either drawing a foul or laying off the final pass.

Givney is a good player though, I've been very impressed with him. The most striking attribute he has are his ability of field the ball - he has great hands and would be an ideal target man, especially given his eye for goal.

While he has been playing junior football, scoring 7-19 in the championship (apparently that's his total) is superb for a 19 year old, especially considering practically all of that was from play. Bear in mind that any young, stylish forward in junior comes in for serious hits and it's even more impressive.

Then, he didn't make the couty minor team so his chance is probably gone. Sure everyone knows that once you make a Manning Cup or minor squad in Cavan, you've made it. The senior call up generally follows and you can live off your name until you are totally burned out at 23.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I'd have to agree with Hollow Man & Cavan4Ever. Curran was more solid than outstanding in that he didn't have too much defending to do. Like I said earlier, Watters destroyed his man time and time again. In saying that, I saw him earlier in the competition and he could do nothing right. So, has anyone got any inside knowledge on what TC (we're very close) intends doing in the close season to identify new players? Development squads?

Hollow Man

To be fair, I saw Watters int he semi-final against Shercock and he was the best player on show, think he scored two points but again he set up everything.

McEntee was very good too that evening.

Will be good to see how Ciaran Galligan progresses, great athlete and very fit but needs to improve his shooting and maybe impose himself more physically.

boojangles

Quote from: Hollow Man on October 15, 2008, 01:59:42 PM
To be fair, I saw Watters int he semi-final against Shercock and he was the best player on show, think he scored two points but again he set up everything.

McEntee was very good too that evening.

Will be good to see how Ciaran Galligan progresses, great athlete and very fit but needs to improve his shooting and maybe impose himself more physically.
Was at that game myself Hollow and Id hav to disagree.Mc Entee set up at least 3 or 4 scores and scored 3 points.IMO he was the best man on show.Dont get me wrong,I rate Watters and think he will be a County footballer but IMO he is still very greedy,too inclined to try and beat 2 or 3 men instead of laying off the simple ball.Half the reason why he may take so much punishment.
Ciaran Galligan if he can stay free of injury could make a County midfielder.He is very committed and has a great attitude.As you said if he could impose himself more on a game,A man of his size should be able to dominate and control a game.
As regards Tom Carrs plans-well he has a whole new panel to pick.There shoud be no presumptions.everybody should start of on a par.I myself think that a few trial games never did any harm and if it can throw up 1 or 2 potential players then its worthwhile.Anybody disagree?
BH Man(should I send out the search brigade yet??) posted a week or so ago about potential County footballers throughout the county,Anybody uncovered any hidden talent this year?

BallyhaiseMan

agh shit

well first of all congratulations to C4ever and Drung,didnt see any of the match but i heard you were more than deserving winners.

as for our game,to be honest we were very poor and Redhills truely deserved to win it.
About 4 of our players came out with passing marks for me
Brendan Maguire in Goals
Colm Reily
Ray Cullivan and Eamon Costello,
Redhills won all the other battles.

Injuries wise
(Sean McCormack had a bad groin injury and wasnt anywhere near his best.
Barry McCrudenn was also struggling with a back injury)
Im not using these as Excuses tough,
Redhills were fitter and sharper than us on Sunday and we could just not live with their intensity.
They were worthy winners.
I thought
Rory Dunne,Brendan Leddy,Pierce West,Colin Reily,Ciaran West,Paddy Gumley were outstanding for them and Packie Leddy for me was the best player on the pitch(and hes minor again next year)

Boojangles tipped us because hes played against us over the years and  has seen us when we have played well and looked like a good intermediate team,
Even in getting to the intermediate final we havent reached the level of performances which we have shown in previous years in the championship.
Its bewildering because the spirit in the club has never been better.

Anyway enough about the Ballyhaise team.

C4ever
at least 8 B'Haise Flags were stolen in the week before the final
4 Flags were stolen alone from Goose's(Stephen Smith) 's house.
Some twat from Redhills supposedly came up and burned a B'Haise flag in front of our community centre as well
Not to mention Ballyhaise Flags burned down in Redhills,
and finally a car some of the younger lads painted Green and Gold and left in the square, was vandalised with windows broken and all the night before the final.
They are charming people down there  ::)

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 15, 2008, 08:36:36 PM

C4ever
at least 8 B'Haise Flags were stolen in the week before the final
4 Flags were stolen alone from Goose's(Stephen Smith) 's house.
Some t**t from Redhills supposedly came up and burned a B'Haise flag in front of our community centre as well
Not to mention Ballyhaise Flags burned down in Redhills,
and finally a car some of the younger lads painted Green and Gold and left in the square, was vandalised with windows broken and all the night before the final.
They are charming people down there  ::)

Yeah thats what i heard it's very bad form and no need for it what so ever.

Lawrence of Knockbride

...and I thought the dubs were the ones embracing the soccer culture. Looks like we have our own little Millwall F.C. Commiserations BH Man, good to see you managed to crawl out of wherever you were.