8. Michael McDonald
9. Mark McKeever
10. Martin Reilly
11. Ronan Flanagan
12. Cian Mackey
13. Jason O' Reilly
14. Dermot McCabe
15. Seanie Johnston

Probably a mile off with this team but said id have a go.

my bet

1.James Reily
2.Michael Hannon
3.Rory Dunne
4.Padraig Reily
5.Martin Cahill
6.Anthony Forde
7.Dermot Sheridan
8.Michael McDonald
9.Mark McKeever
10.Martin Reily
11.Ronan Flanagan
12.Cian Mackey
13.Eddie Reily
14.Dermot McCabe
15.Seanie Johnston

CavanCola

Meanwhile, Cavan manager Donal Keogan is upbeat about his team's prospects after a first championship win for three years against Antrim in Casement Park.

Keogan believes that "success is imminent" in Cavan because of growing reservoir of young talent that now exists in the county.

"The breakthrough is imminent in Cavan football. There are so many quality footballers coming through and I've given more young players an opportunity this year," he said.

"It is a very young team. We have two minors from last year -- Rory Dunne at full-back and Barry Dunne at wing-back who are both 18 -- on the team the last day who performed well.

"I think we can win titles in the next few years. There are a lot of quality players coming through. Our whole half-forward line the last day against Antrim was under 21 years of age."

Keogan admits, however, that he may not see this success in his time as manager.

"The pressure is never off you when you are manager of the Cavan team," he explained.

"Everyone wants success like turning on a tap or switching on a light but it doesn't work like that. I'm here preaching that it is going to take time but I know that I haven't got time. But we need a result on Sunday and I'm hopeful we'll get it."

Keogan, who reports a clean bill of health and will select from a full strength squad, feels Sunday will benefit Cavan football in future years.

"Every one of the Armagh team will have an All-Ireland medal, whether it's the real thing or whether it's an U-21 medal. But Sunday's game for our lads will stand them in good stead in the future. The experience they will gain before a huge crowd in Breffni Park will be invaluable."

Some of this sounds like a Post match Moral victory interview  :'(

Mr Pain...
Re the fantasy team ... can I drive the Team bus or carry the bucket and sponge.  My attendance at training would be like my posting - sporadic!

Uladh

Quote from: CavanCola on June 10, 2008, 03:30:01 PM
"Every one of the Armagh team will have an All-Ireland medal, whether it's the real thing or whether it's an U-21 medal.

That wouldn't be true. off the top of my head - McKinney, mallon, Toner, Martin O'Rourke and Miceal o'rourke of the reported starting 15 wouldn't have an all ireland medal?

CavanCola

Quote from: Uladh on June 10, 2008, 03:38:34 PM
Quote from: CavanCola on June 10, 2008, 03:30:01 PM
"Every one of the Armagh team will have an All-Ireland medal, whether it's the real thing or whether it's an U-21 medal.

That wouldn't be true. off the top of my head - McKinney, mallon, Toner, Martin O'Rourke and Miceal o'rourke of the reported starting 15 wouldn't have an all ireland medal?

Don't be playing it down now Uladh. Donal is right, your coming down to KBP with Medals flowing out of your pockets. We'll let you in at the turnstyles with them or even better you can cash them in at the Imperial Bar later on. ;D

Uladh

Just straightening out oul donal's facts!

Mr. Pain

Cavan Cola you can supply the refreshments if you like. Mr. Pain likes a good old Guinness head on his cola!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Hollow Man

Mr Pain, I'm quitting the panel. I can't play with a reject like BH Man.

(Here it comes...)

In seriousness lads, I'm going to throw out a name here, a fella who would make most county teams in my opinion.

Keith Fannin.

Mr. Pain

HM & BHM will have to work together for the good of the team. HM is correct, in Mr. Pain's opinion, about Keith Fanin. He could do a good job in that backline and may be even better there than P Reilly or Dunne. What about Hannon at FB?
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Lawrence of Knockbride

3 day week done C4E. Next week I'm gonna party like it's 1997. I agree with the general Fanin point and with our lads dropping of the panel in recent times like lemmings off a cliff I wouldn't have begrudged Fanin too much if he'd packed it in. Thing is he's no corner back. I'm not sure which of our managers decided he was but he's not. He's a good attacking wing back or wing forward. Anyway, how about a few in the Breffni before the game. I hear the Guinness is like Cavan Cola.

gortnaleck

Cavan to take it on Sunday by one or two points.The wide open spaces of Breffni Park should suit Cavan and Armagh would not have a very settled team compared to other years

Lawrence of Knockbride

Gortnaleck, by both the content and the time you made your post I think you've been...........................LOCKED IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Keoghan is using his one strong point on supporters as well as players in order to fulfill his ultimate goal of total GAA ruination in the Breffni County. Who we gonna call?

mylestheslasher

Armagh don't normally hammer teams but I fear that Sunday could be the exception. I think Francie will handle McCabe on the square. I think Johnson will be marked by Mallon and if he causes too much trouble they'll stick a sweeper in front of him. I think that Armagh at worst will break even around the middle and that they will pump high balls into the FF line where McDonald and Clarke will do serious damage. I can see armagh getting 2/3 goals and winning this game by 6 points or more. I hope I am wrong.

cavanmaniac

I'm with you myles. Even if we break even around the middle, Armagh will still be getting enough ball to Stevie & Co. to stick approx 2-15 (that's my go-to scoreline) past our rice-paper defence. The only hope we have is that their forwards have another off day like in the league or we predictably turn in a good performance as plucky underdogs, given that there's absolutely no expectation on us. We tend to play alright on occasions like that, a la versus Tyrone and Armagh a few years ago.

Hollow Man

I think we will be beaten because of weaknesses at the back.

We conceded 1-19 to Longford in a challenge two weeks ago and I think 2-12 or 2-13 against Cork last Friday night.

Also, Flanagan is carrying a hamstring injury - he woud be a massive loss.

I think we'll run up a decent score, maybe 1-12 or more likely 0-15 (seeing as we've only scored two goals all year) but Armagh will probably score more.

The thing is, this is the worst Armagh team for years. They're no great shakes at all but, while home advantage will count for something, we lack either a) the physicality, b) the ball winning ability at the back or c) brains on the sideline to win it.

The jury is out on McDonald at m/f, and while Dunne is a superb 19 year old, it'll be a year or two before he's fit for inter county full back. He'll be Cavan midfielder for years to come when he fills out though.

Martin Reilly is in the form of his life, but then you have Podge and Watters both playing terribly, and one of our best defenders, Fannin, not getting a look in from Peter Stringfellow in the Bainisteoir bib. For every plus there is a negative.

Pierson quit the panel too - another option, albeit an erratic one, gone.

I expect Sean Brady to start, and Keogan may continue his fascination with Jonny Crowe. McKeever will probably start at midfield with McDonald... Hmmm....

I wouldn't rule out a draw with Armagh destorying us the second day, but I'll plump for them to do the job first time out.

Prediction: Armagh 2-13 Cavan 0-15

Homer

Apparently.....

J Reilly
R Dunne
P O'Reilly
M Hannon
B Watters
A Forde
M Cahill
M McDonald
M McKeever
C Mackey
R Flanagan
M Reilly
S Johnstone
D McCabe
J Reilly

Not a huge surprise, and although Keoghan made a few positional changes before the last day I'd say the team will line out as above.

Looks like Hannon will take McDonald and Podge picking up Clarke.

Dunno about playing a man as small as McKeever in middle especially if McGrane is to be partnered by Toner

The half forward line is again very shy steak dinners.

The bookies aren't even taking a bet on Jason being the first man called to shore.

(EDIT - Just seen on the official match thread that the BBC already had the team  ::))