Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Good start to the season for U-21 side

Cavan U-2 footballers started the new season in impressive fashion when on Saturday 6th January at Our Lady of Lourdes Park in Mullahoran they defeated Roscommon in the opening round of this season's Hastings Cup competition, winning a very competitive game on a scoreline of 0-13 to 0-9.

The home side started the game in determined fashion and after almost 20 minutes play were ahead by 0-4 to 0-1. Roscommon came more into the game in the second-quarter and at the break they trailed by two points 0-6 to 0-4.

Cavan continued to dominate at the start of the second-half and although the Roscommon side rallied in the closing ten minutes the Cavan side were always in command and held out for a deserved four points win.

Cavan's next game in this competition is against Longford in Dromard, Co. Longford on this (Saturday) at 12 noon, and the Breffni side will be hoping to build on their winning start.

Cavan – Andrew Smith; Declan Gallon, Paraic Reilly, Fergal Slowey; Finbar Jordan, Dermot Sheridan, Cormac Geoghegan; Michael McDonald (0-1), John Cunningham (0-2); Ray Cullivan (0-6), Alan Clarke, Paraic Smith; Martin Reilly (0-2), Anton Reilly, Cillian Lynch (0-1).
Subs – A. Duignan (0-1) for C. Lynch, R. Galligan for John Cunningham, G. Collins for P. Smith, A. Taite for A. Reilly.

Roscommon – J. Martin; Paul Gleeson, Tom Bannon, Peter Dornian; Sean Higgins, Declan Murphy, David Keenan (0-1); James McDermott (0-2), Emmett Rush; Enda Malley, Brian Lynch, Aaron McEvoy; Aidan Dooley (0-4), Harry Nolan (0-1), Daragh Hussey.
Subs – James Callery (0-1) for Daragh Hussey.

-hoganstand

cavan4ever

Did cullivan score most of them from play or free's?

Homer

Dunno what Cullivan scored from play or not, but he is the left footed free taker alright. I see from the hoganstand he was playing wing half forward for DCU against the Dubs he didn't score and was taken off. Jelly scored 4 (3 from play) at centre-half forward, haven't seen him play there before

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=70856

actually according to gaa page Cullivan went off after 40 mins and came back on at 50 mins for another player (assuming there is no other Cullivans on the panel that is).

http://www.gaa.ie/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=17052

Homer

Gallagher transfers to Breffni County

The transfer of former Fermanagh star Rory Gallagher to Cavan has been successfully completed, and the star forward may even start against Queens in next weekend's Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup clash.

The Breffni Blues take on Queens University Belfast in a Section B tie at Kingspan Breffni Park under floodlights on Saturday evening (throw-in 6.30pm).

28-year-old Gallagher is currently playing his club football with Dublin outfit St Brigid's but he is expected to join a club in Cavan over the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, new Breffni County manager Donal Keoghan will be without Darren Rabbite after the full back damaged his hamstring in the defeat of Derry last weekend at Celtic Park.

Better news for Keoghan is Michael Lyng's return to training after a long-term injury, Anthony Forde's return from honeymoon and James Reilly's commitment to the Senior panel for 2007.

-from gaa.ie

Also look at the thumbnail of miller beside his comeback story on www.gaa.ie I don't know how he gets away with so many foot-blocks.  :P

cavan4ever

If everyone stays fit it looks like there will be a battle on for places in the team which hopefully will bring the best out of the lads.  What's your views on these saturday evening games ? 

Homer

Haven't been to a floodlit match in Breffni yet so looking forward to this weekends game, can't really give a general opinion until after that. Queens have a very good side with players of the calibre of Derry's Ger O'Kane, Armagh's Charlie Vernon, Down's Joe Ireland. I'd expect them to be tougher than Derry.

cavanmaniac

I wonder will they switch the Tyrone game to a Saturday evening throw-in as well if much of a crowd turns up and we win this one? I'll be knocking about the homestead that weekend it'd be good gas to watch us play Tyrone under lights.

ludermor

i see that Gallagher has signed for crosserlough would they be a club with cash? Is he 'living' near there? As far as i know he is still working in dublin

cavanmaniac

Crosserlough were a onetime major club in Cavan, won a pile of SFC in a row back in the 60s but nothing since. Are always at senior level and make alot of underage finals too, but I think the story is that Gallagher was supposed to be running a pub in that area as well (in this thread somewhere I think).

It's hard to see Crosserlough making an impact at senior level in future championships, with or without Rory Gallagher.

Border Fox

Well Ky auvin men,

I was just wondering how came Mick Brides (Redhill) is off the panel?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavanmaniac on January 11, 2007, 03:38:10 PM
Crosserlough were a onetime major club in Cavan, won a pile of SFC in a row back in the 60s but nothing since. Are always at senior level and make alot of underage finals too, but I think the story is that Gallagher was supposed to be running a pub in that area as well (in this thread somewhere I think).

It's hard to see Crosserlough making an impact at senior level in future championships, with or without Rory Gallagher.

would disagree about Crosserlough not making an impact in future championships...they done very poor last year,But that hides the great talent that is within that club.....
Ollie Costello,Dermot Cronin,Mark Lynch,Thomas McEvoy,Johnny Crowe,Pauric McKiernan,Declan McCabe. Declan Gaffney and and John Lyng (Mickeys brother)are all good footballers,   Enda Gaffney is a superstar in the making....and now with Gallagher...the sky is the limit
Not sure if Michael O Rourke is still about he was a very good footballer...
There is a heap of talent in that club...It will just take the right manager to sort them out

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Border Fox on January 11, 2007, 05:35:10 PM
Well Ky auvin men,

I was just wondering how came Mick Brides (Redhill) is off the panel?

Bottom Brick being a clubmate of his could surely tell you......

Hes been fucked about by the county for the last 5 years.......Under Mattie Kerrigan he was developing into one of the best half backs in Ulster.....
Not two years later the knobjockeys in charge were bringing him on at wing forward for the last few minutes of the games.

Rossi

Bottom Brick

heard a rumour that Brides was transferring to a club in Dublin,  any truth in this ?

The Bottom Brick

It's still all up in the air lads. Lot of politics going on.

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavan4ever

Why does he wanna leave redhills anyway?  He is not a very good club man because he wanted to transfer away from them when he first was on county panel.