Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Quote from: anglocelt39 on August 14, 2007, 06:02:39 PM
Myles, the impression I got from our Ballinagh source on this thread was that it is Keoghan has it in for Gaynor, so it might be significant that Grimley is going the extra few yards for him. Mind you reports of Anthony's performances at club level this year have not been encouraging.

Sums it up alright.

Gaynor hasn't stood out at all for us this year, IMO this is partially due to niggling injuries but mostly down to his absence from intercounty level training. In truth Anthony was an ordinary underage footballer before he became involved with the county minor set-up. Indeed I recall being quite shocked when he was selected to play centre half back against Donegal in his final year at the level.

BCharlie

Do you all really think A Gaynor is the answer?? Come on plz  ::)  :D
You never know Cavan may not get relegated, they usually lift their game against bigger teams. Typical really

cavan4ever

Quote from: BCharlie on August 15, 2007, 08:27:44 AM
Do you all really think A Gaynor is the answer?? Come on plz  ::)  :DYou never know Cavan may not get relegated, they usually lift their game against bigger teams. Typical really

Who said anything about gaynor being the answer to anything?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BCharlie on August 15, 2007, 08:27:44 AM
Do you all really think A Gaynor is the answer?? Come on plz  ::)  :D
You never know Cavan may not get relegated, they usually lift their game against bigger teams. Typical really

Well he is not the whole answer but he may be part of it. Anytime I have seen him play he has always worn his heart on his sleeve. He goes in hard and gives 100% and his attitude alone has lifted players around him. In summary, he plays with a bit of balls. We have too many who don't and while his "skills" may be ordinary he more than makes up for it in other ways.

cavanmaniac

The Irish News has it that Paul Grimley was interviewed for the Armagh job last week along with a few other candidates. If true, it doesn't say much for his committment to Cavan although then again, it's easy to understand why he'd be interested.

If Keogan is in charge on his own next year, we may fold up the tent now!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavanmaniac on August 15, 2007, 11:04:03 AM
The Irish News has it that Paul Grimley was interviewed for the Armagh job last week along with a few other candidates. If true, it doesn't say much for his committment to Cavan although then again, it's easy to understand why he'd be interested.

If Keogan is in charge on his own next year, we may fold up the tent now!

There is a thread on GAAboard about this, the armagh boys seem to think that Grimley won't get it and instead it will go to some McDonald guy. They reckon the interviews are over anyhow and a decision will be made in the next day or two.  Keoghan on his own would be a joke, whats worse there would be a line of other fools behind him if he did step down. The likes of King or someone else with just as little know how.

BallyhaiseMan

Can ye blame Grimley for trying to get the Armagh job?
the Armagh lads will give a proper committment,wouldnt go out for championship football,overweight etc...wouldnt f**k off to the US when still in the qualifiers.
as i said before,Keoghan will get another coach/trainer in if Paul Grimley leaves.

cavan4ever

Does it really matter who is in charge anyway  :-[

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on August 15, 2007, 01:01:38 PM
Does it really matter who is in charge anyway  :-[

sure it does,if we had a manager with some balls,Players wouldnt try these present chirades,and if they did,they would be fucked off the panel and other players who would give the required commitment brought in.

BallyhaiseMan

just back from training,

beforehand,our juniors lost to Drumgoon 2-13 to 2-08 in ballyhaise

Drumgoon juniors included no other than Edward Jackson and Colm Hannon  :o

not bad players to be playing reserve football.

they will be a big bonus to the Goonies when they are fit enough to play championship football in a few weeks.

Drumgoon will be hard stopped for the intermediate.

cavan4ever

Anyone see any players who would be worth a go with county for next season?

CavanCola

Quote from: cavan4ever on August 16, 2007, 10:36:24 AM
Anyone see any players who would be worth a go with county for next season?

John McCabe from Muntirconnaught. Was fantastic against Templeport. Great attitude - never quits. Probably won't get a call up becuase he's from a low profile Junior club - Cavan's loss.

Cavanfan

There are plenty of good players throughout the county, and that's why I believe there should be trials so that these players can be noticed. Wasn'tJohn McCabe the captain of the minors in 2003 if my memory serves me correctly, so what has happed to him since. Has he just not had the chance to prove himself as a senior player. There were a few finds this year and one of them was Johathan Crowe from Crosserlough. Was at the last to Xlough games and he played well in both so his confidence in his own ability has improved.

I think Keoghan will be able to get good selectors if Grimley does head off to Armagh. While it's a pity that he might go he's been looking at Joe's job for a few years now.

BallyhaiseMan

John McCabe is a good player,would like to see him given a trial.He is probably not as fit as he could be playing Junior Football,County Training would give him that burst back that he had at underage level and improve his all round physique.
In the past ive listed25-30 players who i think should be tried on the county,im sure ye lads are sick and tired of seeing the list by now,so i wont bother posting it again.

descartes

go ahead ballyhaise man, been off this board for a while, got a bit depressed with the football scene and stopped reading the boards, so don't know this list of yours, could you post it again, i'll do my best to critique it honestly. was it players who have never played county football before or was it players who currently aren't playing county football... cause if Trevor crowe/pierce Mckenna are  mentioned once more i'm gonna go ballistic. these guys dont want to play for cavan. Personally i think theres loads of talent out there. And i'm sick of people saying underage success is a prerequisite for senior success, and then too seconds later people talking about how great monaghan are. well Monaghan have won damn all at underage recently. All that underage success means is that the talent in the county is being succesfully harnessed (Laois population 67,000 being our role model), and a lack of underage success does not necessarily mean there is no talent in the senior ranks.

Anyway back to this list...
because at the same time i think certain people put forward as possible county players aren't near the level or capable of reaching the level required for county football. Take john McCabe, fantastic striker of the ball, very accurate, strong lad, but in my opinion far too slow for county level. is there a place for a slow but skilled player at county level these days? there's not too many of them about, certainly not in defence. Remeber Trevor crowe... He had to be jettsioned out of centre back and into midfield during his year on the panel as he was repeatedly exposed in defence for his lack of pace, johnathon crowe, this years find, struggled against both mayo and Antrim when marking fast lads and was substituted. Coleman decided to change his team in his second year in charge as he felt he needed more pace throughout the side. In came Martin Cahill, Michael Hannon, Keith Fannin. He moved Paul Brady and Eamon Reilly out of the corner backs, good defenders but too slow for that position. If any of the 3 defenders above (cahill, hannon, fannin) had to mark john McCabe i would be very surprised if he would get his hands on the ball more than once or twice in the match.

Anyway, this is not meant to be a rant... more like i'm trying to start a discussion. So can You please post this list of players BallyhaiseMan and we see what we have  ;)