Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packiedevlin

Whatever about Cullivan, Gaynor is a clown that shouldn't even get a game with Ballinagh never mind the county!

Westside

Did Lyng really prove himself at County level?

Don't think it's entirely fair to slate Cullivan. Left the panel after failing to be selected by Tommy Carr and stupidly got himself sent off v Donegal but has he done anything else wrong? Talk to anyone from other counties about Cavan underage talent prior to 2010 and the names you'll consistently hear Lyng, Mackey and Cullivan.

rodney trotter

Agree re, Cullivan. He is still 25, and so wouldn't be writing him off as a County player. He hardy got a luck in last year and left the panel before the Kildare game. Probaly should have featured more.

Lyng proved himself when he broke onto the panel but kept getingt constant injuries and loss of form. I think the break away from County panel for the past 2 years will do him good and have him fresh next year. He didn't seem to have the hunger as such before, after all the injuries.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 31, 2013, 08:49:27 PM
Agree re, Cullivan. He is still 25, and so wouldn't be writing him off as a County player. He hardy got a luck in last year and left the panel before the Kildare game. Probaly should have featured more.

Didn't think he was on the panel last year but if he was that's twice he has walked from county panels so i think that would say enough about him.

Once is to much to do something like that.

rodney trotter

He on the panel last year for def. Left the week of the Kildare game. Agree about commitment but, if he settled down a bit and was playing good football he would be worth a recall again. Still relatively young, so he might cop on if he was given the chance again.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 31, 2013, 09:09:49 PM
He on the panel last year for def. Left the week of the Kildare game. Agree about commitment but, if he settled down a bit and was playing good football he would be worth a recall again. Still relatively young, so he might cop on if he was given the chance again.

He's walked of the panel twice at this stage and if I remember once was the week before the 1st rd of Ulster championship because he wasnt starting. Doesnt sound like a team player to me. I would leave him and others like him where they are.

rodney trotter

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 01, 2013, 10:01:28 PM

He's walked of the panel twice at this stage and if I remember once was the week before the 1st rd of Ulster championship because he wasnt starting. Doesnt sound like a team player to me. I would leave him and others like him where they are.

Lyng left twice before too...

anglocelt39

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 01, 2013, 10:26:46 PM

Lyng left twice before too.

Indeed, so if two of you were picked up from the Oxigen gig on the way to a qualifier against Wicklow or if you were part of a group that got "lost" on the way to a pitch opening in West Cavan during the late Eamon Coleman era or you left an Under 21 panel because you reckoned you knew better than Terry who should be getting game time should you be left where you are also. All this is of course hearsay and happened quite some time ago as is the case with anything Cullivan or Lyng are alleged to have done. I'm happy to leave it to Terry to make the calls, it's his job and he's not bad at it. 
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on November 01, 2013, 11:17:35 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 01, 2013, 10:26:46 PM

Lyng left twice before too.

Indeed, so if two of you were picked up from the Oxigen gig on the way to a qualifier against Wicklow or if you were part of a group that got "lost" on the way to a pitch opening in West Cavan during the late Eamon Coleman era or you left an Under 21 panel because you reckoned you knew better than Terry who should be getting game time should you be left where you are also. All this is of course hearsay and happened quite some time ago as is the case with anything Cullivan or Lyng are alleged to have done. I'm happy to leave it to Terry to make the calls, it's his job and he's not bad at it.

I read the first very long sentence of that post AC and I'm sorry but I don't follow what you are saying. What I can say is that I do agree with Hyland leaving Cullivan and Johnston off the panel, I think he has made the right call. I also think Lyng is a fine player and I could be wrong but i think his absence from previous panels were down to both injuries and him moving away from home. I never heard anyone say that Lyng wasnt a committed trainer or squad member or that he walked of the panel because he wasnt getting a game. We will see how they all get on in the mckenna cup and then there will be the cull and we'll see who is left.

rodney trotter

What Anglo Celt is saying, is some players didn't have great discipline in the past, ie. Keating going to Oxegen the day before a qualifier game in Aughrim. Others players ending up in a pub when they were suppose to be playing Dublin in a challenge game on another occasion
Lyng left the panel under Keoghan during National League when he was a regular in the team, wasn't down to injuries that time, he left again under Tommy Carr to do charity work in Africa for the summer.
Cullivan made some rash decisions in the past but someday he might be worth a run, as was said, heis still young and might mature, maybe not next year but the year after... Its the managements call at the end of the day

anglocelt39

Sorry for the long sentences Miley, I'll try harder.

What I'm saying is that there are any number of players involved that you could make an excuse to get rid of based on something that is supposed to have happened in the past.

Luckily none of us on here select the panel.

Terry Hyland is probably closer to players and the grass roots than any County senior team manager since god knows when. I am happy with any decision he might take regarding Ray Cullivan, Sean Johnston, Lyng etc. etc. etc.

Clever decision on his part to involved Lyng in the panel, whether intended to be clever or not. Avoids any accusations that anybody who was not involved in Terrys Under 21 teams is not going to get a fair crack. There are several lads 25-30 that should be trying to remain involved or get involved again,.Dermot Sheridan one other that springs to mind. We will need them all because two years from now some of the young lads that were involved this year will have gone the same way as Mulvey to find work. Sad but probably true.

Confident Terry will get as much as there is to be got from the panel if he doesn't have to deal with too much interference.

mylestheslasher

That's alright Anglo - I'm just glad you are not ignoring me anymore, it was having a huge negative effect on my self esteem.

I agree with you on Hyland. My point was that the Hyland knows well what the two boys I mentioned are like and we can only presume he has made the call that they are not worth the hassle (or are just not reformed) while Lyng etc is. At the end of the day we have the guts of a good hard working panel of lads for the first time in ages. Some people will forget how bad things were. Rodney spoke about 2009 in an earlier post, go back through these pages and see what the feelings were like amongst us all when we were bet by Antrim and then hammered by Wicklow under Tommy Carr. At least we know now that our lads will give 100% on the field and back in 2009 that is what we all wanted.

rodney trotter

That's fair enough Myles,.. wasn't on here in 09. Cullivan never had any problems with work rate and was a very good trainer, just annoyed that he wasn't getting game time. As was said, he is still young and maybe someday, 2015,  if he continues decent club form he would be worth a recall.

anglocelt39

Sure why would anyone want to ignore you Myles. Rumor has it you were mentioned on the missing posters list a few months back whatever shock therapy you took during that time has done the trick and your posts are a pure pleasure to read since you came out of retirement.

Blue in hope

Cavan Gaels  had only 12 players turn up for the match against Lacken on Saturday. Lacken needed to win match to stay up and send Cuchullians down. The ref then deemed the field unplayable. This is the second year in a row there has been strange carry ons with this fixture. What is going on within the Gaels that a club that size with two teams (Div 1 & 2) can only get 12 players to turn up? There seems to be major problems there.