Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 21, 2013, 09:48:35 PM
That will keep the grounds men busy. I wonder how many of the u21 players will be brought into the Senior panel now

Clarke
Mcloughlin
Brady
Flanagan

rodney trotter

Anton Reilly is playing very well this year with Ramor, he was on the panel before but would be worth another chance I think. Physical player aswell. I

boojangles

cavanlad

Gearoid did his cruciate, last Sunday playing for his club. He is out for the year. Bad, bad news for him, his club and county.
My ignore list - Richiej

scoopmine

Gearoid did his cruciate? Bad news for us.

rodney trotter

Confirmed on Gaelic life http://t.co/UGGZb0dmHd
Tough luck for Gearoid, 9 months is what it would take for the recovery. He will miss a good chunk of next years League. Some players rush back to early from an injury like that and can very easily rupture the cruciate again. John Galvin was only back last year and did it again.

Charlie Vernon will miss the Cavan game http://t.co/7S3Gu5WMX2

mylestheslasher

Terrible news for Gearoid, to be training all year and doing so well in most games and then a few weeks before the business end of the season this happens. I think its his second time too. He must be devastated I wish him all the best and hope the county board give him whatever help he needs to recover and hopefully we'll see him in the blue of Cavan again soon.

Itchy

Any word on what u21s are now on senior panel. Have seniors been playing any challenge games?

boojangles

I wish Gearoid all the best and hope that he comes back a better player. Second time doing the ACL I believe so he should know what it takes to get back.

mylestheslasher

So 3 weeks on Sunday to the start of the championship. Will it be the same old story or will Terry Hyland be able to put a winning formula in place. Although the league petered out in the end I would still be hopefull of a few things being right, the foundations that is

- The team will be fit.
- Terry will play lads that were dedicated to the panel. Loyalty to lads that are loyal to him is  big thing so I expect to see a panel of 20 lads willing to put their bodies on the line.
- I expect to see the team play a definite game plan and not look like they don't know what they are supposed to be doing like in previous years. The plan might not work but there will be one.

The senior panel seems to be under the radar a little at the moment, probably due to another exciting U21 campaign. That might be no harm. A lot of guys wondering who is marking Jamie Clarke - I don't think he will start to be honest, not if he is heading off on a trip when all the big work is being done. If I were the Armagh manager he would be an impact sub. Its Forker we need to be worried about! Givney will most likely move to midfield although I would not be surprised to see Hyland stick Declan McKiernan in to midfield and continue with Givney in the FF line. If that is the plan the team have been working to all year well then maybe they should continue with it instead of abandoning it due to McKiernans injury. There is a lot to be said for a steady consistent message and approach. The good thing is that on the day there are options on the pitch to change things around.

One worry I have is Keating. He can be a huge player for us but he looked sluggish when he came back from injury and not on the same wavelength as some of the other players. Hopefully that will all be ironed out before the 19th.

I think we have a fighting chance and personally I think Grimley is one of the most over rated managers in the country and I don't fear him or his team at all.

rodney trotter

Jamie Clarke is one of the top 5 forwards in Ireland. He will start, he came back earlier than expected from the trip and is back training with Armagh. Ronan Flanagan did very well at corner back in the few league games he was played there last year, I would have him marking Clarke. Not sure about McGlaughlin. I would have Oisin Moynagh who is a more physical player then McGlaughlin, and Ronan Flanagan as the 2 corner backs. I would have Givney at midfield with Corr.

mylestheslasher

Rodney - try not to exaggerate. He is not even in the top 5 in Ulster if you ask me. Stephen O Neill, Paddy Bradley, Eoin Bradley, Benny Coulter, Mcfadden, Murphy. He's at around the same level as McManus of Monaghan, a very good player that needs watching but top 5 in Ireland not a chance in hell.

rodney trotter

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 27, 2013, 11:00:02 AM
Rodney - try not to exaggerate. He is not even in the top 5 in Ulster if you ask me. Stephen O Neill, Paddy Bradley, Eoin Bradley, Benny Coulter, Mcfadden, Murphy. He's at around the same level as McManus of Monaghan, a very good player that needs watching but top 5 in Ireland not a chance in hell.

Yeah that's your opinion Myles, and that was mine. He has proved with Cross plenty of times, he ran the Tyrone defence ragged last year in the Ulster Championship. Only that Armagh are not the heavy hitters they once they were he doesn't get to show it enough.

Itchy

Which of the ones Myles named would you displace with clarke ? You said top 5 in Ireland. What about the other provinces?

rodney trotter

Why you do you need to speak for Myles all the time Itchy, I know ye are both from Killeshandra and all, but its not really necessary,

Seeing that Paddy Bradley hasb't kicked a ball since September I would  have Clark over him. Clarkes last game in the League was Feburay so a bit more recent