Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Doesn't Jack Brady also have an O'Byrne Cup medal?  Some haul. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Ollie

Suprised Maclarey & Niall Murray didnt make the bench at least. Would have started Tierney ahead of keating at full forward. Is it wise starting McCutcheon when he hasnt played all year? Pity Dunne misses out through injury. It doesnt look like a strong team on paper and I'm fearing a repeat of last years game against Donegal.

PhilsJemmysField

Looks like Hyland is putting his belief in lads he knows will work like Flanagan, but on the subs bench this is the one I really find interesting Joshua Hayes. Maybe Celt man can comment but I think he is 17 played U16 last year very talented young lad. Could he play a minor match and then come on similar to what Donegal did last year. Think the McCuthcheon and Keating calls are right will give us a bit of strength. John is a clever footballer knows when to back off and should cut out the goal threat. Will be a long afternoon and if we can keep the score tight. Maybe there is a chance. Was a wee bit sad and watched them training last night up in the home of football in East Cavan. So both McKiernan and Giveney were moving well. There is always hope. 

Dougal

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on May 16, 2012, 09:00:58 AM
Looks like Hyland is putting his belief in lads he knows will work like Flanagan, but on the subs bench this is the one I really find interesting Joshua Hayes. Maybe Celt man can comment but I think he is 17 played U16 last year very talented young lad. Could he play a minor match and then come on similar to what Donegal did last year. Think the McCuthcheon and Keating calls are right will give us a bit of strength. John is a clever footballer knows when to back off and should cut out the goal threat. Will be a long afternoon and if we can keep the score tight. Maybe there is a chance. Was a wee bit sad and watched them training last night up in the home of football in East Cavan. So both McKiernan and Giveney were moving well. There is always hope.

josh was u21 2 years ago,very good player.heard he was playing very well for dit(?) earlier this year.ive always been a bit surprised that he's never featured for cavan at senior level yet.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

PhilsJemmysField

Got the wrong Hayes then, did he not play Sigerson with UCD either at corner or Full Back

Dougal

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on May 16, 2012, 11:21:25 AM
Got the wrong Hayes then, did he not play Sigerson with UCD either at corner or Full Back

your right,it was ucd.was mccutcheon training with them?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

BallyhaiseMan

Brendan Fitzpatrick starting ahead of Niall McDemott ???   ???  .
Fitzpatrick didnt impress in the NFL,so thats a bit of a shocker.

Westside

In fairness McDermott didn't set the world alight either during the NFL. I would imagine bud's pace has got him the starting position.

Hard to know what to make of the team. You could name another side with a raft of changes but never say definitively whether it is any better.. I'd be a tad worried about Padraic O'Reilly in the corner. He's not blessed with great pace, but he's usually solid I guess. It will also be interesting to see how Jack is used, will he continue his U21 duties as a playmaker of sorts or will he return to the inside forward line.

Apart from the impending sense of doom this is always a great time of year, Cavan are still in the Championship. :D

rodney trotter

Pauric Reilly plays his best football at centre half, he does lack a bit of pace for the full back line. He was exposed a few times before at full back so in the corner would be a worry. He has probaly more experience of playing there than McCutheon as he always plays in the half back line. Kevin Meehan is more suited to wing back. Thought Mckiernan was out, so its a bonus he can play.

BallyhaiseMan

Podge will probably do a man marking job on McFadden with Damien Reily or Fergal Flanagan picking up McBrearty.
Is Damien Barkey injured?
I thought he was one of Cavans better performers in the league.

scoopmine

Nice to see Hayles in the panel from what I know of him a very commited player and stood out at college level for UCD.
The team is the quickest Cavan team in a long time bar perhaps Podge and McCutch and strong through the middle with size and power. A few surprises and a bench that could change things if things go pear shaped. Iv a feeling we could push Donegal alot harder than last year. Believe!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: scoopmine on May 16, 2012, 04:15:05 PM
Nice to see Hayles in the panel from what I know of him a very commited player and stood out at college level for UCD.
The team is the quickest Cavan team in a long time bar perhaps Podge and McCutch and strong through the middle with size and power. A few surprises and a bench that could change things if things go pear shaped. Iv a feeling we could push Donegal alot harder than last year. Believe!

John McCutcheon isn't quick?  ???
You obviously haven't played against the guy or seen him play much or you wouldn't make such an assertion.

scoopmine

Seen him plenty..! Never played against the chap in fairness.
Last champ I seen him play was against baileboro last year. I honestly think the bulking up of him has slowed him down a little although he may have been carrying an injury last year!

Celt_Man

Bitta confusion there - Tom  Hayes was under 16 last year, he's good but he isn't on the Senior bench just yet!!! - involved with the Minors on Sunday though.

Josh played good stuff with UCD (again!) earlier this year and was awarded UCD Player of the Year last month, no small achievement... He was involved with Cavan Under 21s two years ago when they were beaten by Donegal in the Ulster Final
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mylestheslasher

I have a feeling there might be a lot of changes on that team for Sunday. When did James Reilly re-appear?