Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babe Ruth 47

Corlough's old field was something to behold too. A stand that could cater for 8 people, a field like a dirt bike track, and a shough the size of the grand canyon running along one side of it. Seeemed to be surrounded by boglands. It still can be seen on the road to their new field, of which i am extremely jealous!!

boojangles

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on November 12, 2008, 12:36:32 AM
Corlough's old field was something to behold too. A stand that could cater for 8 people, a field like a dirt bike track, and a shough the size of the grand canyon running along one side of it. Seeemed to be surrounded by boglands. It still can be seen on the road to their new field, of which i am extremely jealous!!
The county was blessed with some amazing pitches.I think of all the old fields I played on, the worst had to be Drumlanes,it had a large drain or shough running straight through it.Swanlinbars old field was a gem too.I remember getting relegated to Division 3 playing on that field one year around 7 years ago.Hope history doesnt repeat itself!

mylestheslasher

McKenna Cup Draw...

Dr McKenna Cup draw: Group A - Fermanagh, Derry, UUJ, Donegal; Group B - Tyrone, Monaghan, Down, St. Mary's; Group C - Armagh, Cavan, Antrim, Queen's University. Semi-final draw - Group A winners v best runners-up. Group B winners v Group C winners.

Nice group to start TC off.

Swadman

Ah....the memories. I remember playing Shannon Gaels in the early 80's. We had to move the sheep off it before the start. It seemed like playing up the north face of the Eiger with a great big lump of stone around the 20 yard line whick everyone just accepted and played around. The worst place, however, had to be Butlersbridge. Not sheep but cows had to be moved and they would duly sh*t the place in protest at being moved off their patch. They also left one foot deep potholes where, if you were unlucky, you could go to your kneecaps in muck. Come to think of it, its not a whole lot better now.

BallyhaiseMan

Best of luck to Swadman and Swad and Boojangles and Drumalee this weekend,

Best of luck to the Gaels who will be seriously up against it,against Ballinderry,i think Ballinderry will have a couple of pints to spare but hopefully the Gaels lads can prove us wrong yet again.

Best of luck to Trillick on Sunday in the Intermediate,

Yep im a sore loser!!!

boojangles

Well thank God that year is over.Annus Horibulus if I ever heard of it.We bet Swad 3-11 to 0-9 in Bawnboy.Scoreline probably doesnt do Swad justice.We only started to play after we got the 1st goal in the 2nd half.But we'r safe and thats all that matters.
Just back from the regional game in Kingscourt( don't get me started) East Cavan Gaels bet us (Annalee Gaels) by 8 points.We only had 11 players.Very disappointing,nobody from Denn and obviously the Gaels. As bad as our game was,I heard the other one in Mullahoran was a farce.11 a side 20 minutes a half.Tommy Carr not too impressed. And we wonder why Cavan football is in the state its in.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boojangles on November 15, 2008, 10:54:41 PM
Well thank God that year is over.Annus Horibulus if I ever heard of it.We bet Swad 3-11 to 0-9 in Bawnboy.Scoreline probably doesnt do Swad justice.We only started to play after we got the 1st goal in the 2nd half.But we'r safe and thats all that matters.
Just back from the regional game in Kingscourt( don't get me started) East Cavan Gaels bet us (Annalee Gaels) by 8 points.We only had 11 players.Very disappointing,nobody from Denn and obviously the Gaels. As bad as our game was,I heard the other one in Mullahoran was a farce.11 a side 20 minutes a half.Tommy Carr not too impressed. And we wonder why Cavan football is in the state its in.

Jesus Christ that is a total disgrace. Tommy Carr must be wondering what sort of a place he has come to. Where does the blame lie for this fiasco. Is it the organisers? Is it the clubs themselves that are not making the effort? Or is it that there aren't enough players out there with the ambition to play for Cavan.

Swadman

Yes BJ, Drumalee deserved the win for your 2nd half performance. I thought we had a chance when it was 5 a piece at half time but we missed 2 goal chances and you took yours well. One of your backs made a great goal line clearance when your goalie (header!!) was beaten and the ball heading for the net. That would have put us 4 points up but the goals went in at the other end and I could see our lads drop the heads after that. That young number 12 kept Drumalee in it in the 1st half, he's very quick.
The truth is we are a junior team and will be competitive there. It would have been no good for us winning yesterday and having the same old relegation battle at the end of next year again.

Only 11 a side at the regional games ?? Are we copying yet another aspect of soccer ??? Tommy Carr must have felt like Trappatoni !!!
Seriously though, Myles has it spot on,  "there aren't enough players out there with the ambition to play for Cavan." and its too late in a long year for this.

boojangles

Quote from: Swadman on November 16, 2008, 11:11:07 AM
Yes BJ, Drumalee deserved the win for your 2nd half performance. I thought we had a chance when it was 5 a piece at half time but we missed 2 goal chances and you took yours well. One of your backs made a great goal line clearance when your goalie (header!!) was beaten and the ball heading for the net. That would have put us 4 points up but the goals went in at the other end and I could see our lads drop the heads after that. That young number 12 kept Drumalee in it in the 1st half, he's very quick.
The truth is we are a junior team and will be competitive there. It would have been no good for us winning yesterday and having the same old relegation battle at the end of next year again.

Only 11 a side at the regional games ?? Are we copying yet another aspect of soccer ??? Tommy Carr must have felt like Trappatoni !!!
Seriously though, Myles has it spot on,  "there aren't enough players out there with the ambition to play for Cavan." and its too late in a long year for this.

Spot on Swadman,Swad definitely showed alot more heart yesterday than the week previous and yas definitely threw everything at us in the 1st half.Our defence was a bit shaky including myself but our extra fitness probably showed in the 2nd half.Our wee number 12 John O Connor gave your wing-back a torrid time,he has serious pace and a great dummy.Pity he's not 4 inches bigger.I got that feeling from a few of your players yesterday that yas were probably happy enough going back down.Yas have some good young footballers coming along,no reason why yas cant push for a Junior Championship again.Gearoid Mc Kiernan is a good prospect but the lad will need alot of coaching,He is very selfish and he is inclined to lose the head far too easy.He got sent off in the last 2 minutes yesterday for a stupid box in front of the stand.
Where was Michael Cunningham?
These regional games are a great idea if run properly.A manager should be chosen for each region at the start of the year or at least before the Championship,let him then choose who he thinks is good enough from each region.Then when each region has a panel picked,they should train
collectively for even 2 weeks and then the matches should start.But I suppose at this time of the year at the end of a long season,there isnt too many who are interested.But the Question is,Will Tommy Carr reward the lads who put in the effort and showed up and showed that they want to play for Cavan or will he go with the usual lads who have got umpteen chances at Inter-County level but couldnt be bothered to show up on a winters evening?

Maximus Marillius

Any of you footballing whizz kids at yesterdays mauling of Cavan Gaels  by Derry club Ballinderry. Have to say i didn't bet on this game...the bookies weren't giving odds that would have encouraged me to bet. The Gaels were truely awful

cavanmaniac

Quote from: boojangles on November 16, 2008, 04:28:40 PM
But the Question is,Will Tommy Carr reward the lads who put in the effort and showed up and showed that they want to play for Cavan or will he go with the usual lads who have got umpteen chances at Inter-County level but couldnt be bothered to show up on a winters evening?

That will tell the tale alright. TC made an early point about only bringing along players who show the commitment. I for one would support him if he took the long term view and went with a panel of raw, young, committed lads with whatever sprinkling of players from the current panel retain their place, getting rid of whoever can't/won't commit to a strict regime. I honestly think we'd be better off after two years than if we keep taking the short term view.

It'll also indicate just how strict he plans on being. Anything less and it'll be an immediate signal from Carr that he will talk the talk but perhaps not follow up with stern action. Interesting times.

Very disappointing news about poor turnouts at the matches. It shows the depth to which the whole thing has been allowed sink. Even in our darkest days of yore the lads were always mad to pull on the blue jersey. Hopefully it's not terminal.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 17, 2008, 12:02:56 PM
Any of you footballing whizz kids at yesterdays mauling of Cavan Gaels  by Derry club Ballinderry. Have to say i didn't bet on this game...the bookies weren't giving odds that would have encouraged me to bet. The Gaels were truely awful

Didn't bother go Max - sure I knew they were going to get hammered :D

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 17, 2008, 12:35:28 PM

Myles to be honest I was shocked as I wasnt expecting it

boojangles

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 17, 2008, 12:51:41 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 17, 2008, 12:35:28 PM

Myles to be honest I was shocked as I wasnt expecting it
Shocked,since when have you been shocked about the lack of quality of Cavan teams? Pull the other one.

mylestheslasher

In all seriousness it was a shocking result. 5 each at half time and then a hammering in the 2nd half. Did johnstone play or go off injured?