Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

If anyone is thinking of going to the Hastings cup.

THROW IN TIME CHANGED to 1pm for Cavan v Longford in Hastings Cup U21 game this Saturday 18th Jan in Abbeylara.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Itchy

Cavan u21 team that started today. Some representation from west cavan.

Chris Magee (cucu)
Stephen McMagaels (S Gaels)
Cillian Clarke (Shercock)
Luke Moynagh (Bboro)
Jonathan McCabe (Arva)
Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
Aaron O Hara (S Gaels)
Senan Gilchrist (Lavey)
Michael Argue (Bboro)
Liam Galligan (Templeport)
Joe Dillon (Kings court)
Ben Kiernan (Templeport)
Tom Hayes (Cootehill)
Conor Madden (Gowna)
Padraig Moore (Ballyhaise)

tommysmith

Poor performance today, well the second half was brutal anyway.

rodney trotter

Bit of complacency  crept into the second half display. It was bit like the Hastings Cup final last year, where Cavan dominated 3/4 of the game and threw it away. Still key players to come back into the team, McVeety, Gerard Smith

Subs yesterday

Aaron Farrelly - Ramor                    Andrew Graham - Cavan Gaels
Dara McVeety - Crosserlough           Kevin Bouchier   - Arva
Aaron Watson - Drung                     Michael McDermott - Bulersbridge
Benjamin Kelly - Templeport             Nevin O Donell      - Shannon Gaels
Shane O Rourke - Laragh                  Cian McEnroe       - Castlerahan
Greg McGovern - Swanlinbar              Cian Byrne      - Drumalee
Paul Graham -  Cavan Gaels

Niall Walshe playing with Sligo IT today so wouldn't have been involved

mylestheslasher

100% start to the year at senior and U21. Not bad going. I fancy us to beat Tyrone next week and hopefully set ourselves up for a good start to the league which is really the critical thing.

rodney trotter

Team for the McKenna Cup final

1 Conor Gilsenan Conchur Mac Giolla Seanáin Seaamróga Choill an Chollaigh Bailieborough
2 Joshua Hayes Joshua Ó h ÉIS An Muinchille  Cootehill
3 Rory Dunne Ruarí Ó Duinn Cnoc Rua  Redhills
4 Killian Brady Cillain MacBradaigh Mullach Odhrainn  Mullahoran
5 Philip Tinnely Pilib Mac an tSionnaigh Dún-A-Rí  Kingscourt
6 Alan Clarke Alún Ó Cleirigh Dún-A-Rí  Kingscourt
7 James McEnroe Seamus Mac Conrua Reamor Aontainthe  Ramor Utd
8 Turloc Mooney Turloc Ó Maonaigh Cnoc Rua  Redhills
9 David Givney Dáithí Ó Dhuibhne Droichead Uí Dhalaigh  Mountnugent
10 Martin Reilly Mairtín  Ó Raghallaigh Coill na Gearraí  Killygarry
11 Niall McDermott Niall Mac Dhiarmada Béal Átha na nEach  Ballinagh
12 Michael Lyng Michael Ó Loinn Gael An Cabhán  Cavan Gaels
13 Cian Mackey Cian Ó Maca Caisleán Rathain  Castlerahan
14 Kevin Tierney Caoimhín Mac Tiarnaigh Beal átha hÉis  Ballyhaise
15 Eugene Keating Eoghann Ó  Ciiteann Naomh Sylvesters  St. Sylvesters.

mylestheslasher

I fancy us to win this final but I think Harte will be keen to keep the new up and comings in their place too. Should be a fascinating match and unusually I reckon both teams will be going very hard to win.

rodney trotter

Tyrone team v Cavan Morgan; McCrory Clarke Tierney; McGinley Harte McCann; McKenna McBride; Kane McGuigan Lavery; McNeice Donnelly RO'Neill

2011 U21 Team

Tyrone: N Morgan; R Pickering, R McNamee, F McQuaid, N Sludden, G Teague, S McKenna, N McKenna [0-2], R Donnelly [0-1], P McNeice, P Harte [0-1], D McNulty, K Coney, M Donnelly [0-1], R O'Neil [0-4]. Subs: C Gervin [0-1] for McGuigan, K Mossey for McNabb, D McNulty for McNeice, J McCullagh for McNulty

2012 U21 TeamTyrone:

D McAnenly, B Tierney (0-1), D McNally, HP McGeary, N Sludden (0-1), C Clarke, T McCann, H Og Conlan (0-1), S Warnock, S Tierney (0-1), T Canavan (0-1, f), R Donnelly (0-2, 2f), D McCurry (0-3, 3f), C McAliskey, C Daly.Subs: P Mallon for McCann, S McGuigan for Warnock, C Grugan for Conlan, P McNulty for Donnelly, J McCullagh for Daly

They have a good spread from the 2011/12 U21 teams playing. Should be a good game. Be sweet to beat Tyrone again

mylestheslasher

Seems our U21s crashed out of Hastings cup today due to kicking a crazy amount of wides in a game they were mostly on top in.  The result doesn't worry me too much but I would be concerned about where our scores will come from against the tougher teams. For all the great U21 teams we've had in the past few years we have not got a potential top top class forward in the mix and that has been our weakness. For this years team it looks like Conor Madden, Andy Graham, Nevin O Donnell will Bouchier will be the lads tasked with the scoring -  the jury is out on whether those lads have the fire power to do it. Anyway, no harm losing, you need wake up call sometimes before going into the championship and Cavan got it today. Next up Celtic Park and the tough challenge of Derry.

Westside

We didn't have one forward that played well. You could see Cavan's main players really willing to take the fight to Roscommon, Argue, McVeety, Moynagh, Watson, all played very well. We had a lot of passengers though. Both Grahams and Gilchrest contributed very little. O'Donnell, Niall Walsh and McEnroe were all completely off their game. A lot seemed to be expected of Madden when he came on but he was playing very deep.
It might be the kick in the arse they need, there's a lot of talk about how strong the panel is, how difficult it is to pick the best 15 etc. They strolled through their first 3 games and it looks to me like complacency crept in. Cavan just didn't look like their heads were in the game. We looked like a side waiting for things to happen instead of making things happen. They took the finger out after the Roscommon goal but didn't have the firepower and the Rossies had closed up shop by then.
There is the spine of a very good side there, the draw is about as tough as we could have asked for but there is a lot of work to do between now and 12th March. 

Denn Forever

Will there be a game tomorrow night?  Been ""Shockin" these last few days.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Jaysus its like a morgue in here!

Any thoughts on the seniors ahead of the Offaly game? Keating had a great game but I'd love to see him the odd time just turn and run at his man. He'd go straight through him with the power he has. That FF line would bag a goal or two if he did that once or twice.

Tierney won some nice ball at times but he just has to start kicking a few points, he had a few chances to get a shot away but waited. We know he has the eye for a goal but he needs to be hitting 2/3 points a game and as they say the goals will come. He might get another shot against Offaly but Dunne was looking very sharp in that game against Meath and he will get in there soon and will knock over a few points.

Lyng and Mackey are awful similar and I wonder along with Martin Reilly in that HF line is it a bit on the small side? I just don't think all three of them will last there in the championship. Likewise I think Mooney has great potential but not sure about midfield for him. Mooney in the HF line might solve both problems as he does have an eye for a point (even if his few efforts against Fermanagh were v poor). Midfield will likely include Gearoid in a few weeks (most likely will be back for Wexford) but I also think Argue could end up in there too and Givney could be freed up to go up to the forwards.

The backs look solid with a few of last years team yet to come back fully such as Clarke, McLoughlin and Damian Reilly. Some were saying that McEnroe was poor but I thought he had a great 1st half and just tired. He was also excellent in the McKenna cup against Monaghan. He's not long back after injury though.

Gilsenan was solid in goals but when O Meara comes back he has the more accurate kick out, that will be an interesting contest.

All in all I think we should beat Offaly, a team we have a shocking record against, but we will need to be better than we were on Sunday.

I also think we looked nervous on Sunday, almost waiting for the whistle when we should have been upping our effort. It got me thinking that there is pressure on the lads to win this year with all the talk of us walking Div 3 and being too good for it etc. Probably an expectation the lads never had to deal with before.

comeysfield

Any word on a team for the weekend, any truth that Turloch Mooney is out with injury

cavanforever

So I hear and add Toasty, Mackey and Givney to that list

cavanman

Turloch Mooney out for a large amount of time, big loss to Cavan & Redhills. Toasty, Mackey, Givney & Lyng out this weekend coming. Toasty dislocated one of his fingers vs Fermanagh. Mackey picked up knock as well. So only Martin Reilly left form the midfield and half-forward line that started last Sunday. Hopeful that Damien O'Reilly  will be back.