Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Minder on August 11, 2010, 10:57:49 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 11, 2010, 10:20:03 PM
Thats a lot of strikers in the squad now, sounds like united snapped him up before Real Madrid did, from what i understand he can play in midfield or on the wings as well & was once homeless

So he should be good away from home?

cold and miserable feeding off scraps i would say
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AFS

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 11, 2010, 11:05:51 PM
Quote from: AFS on August 11, 2010, 11:03:37 PM
Sounds like a joke. £7.5m on a fella from the Portuguese third division? At least the last unknown, Hernandez, had played first division football and had a couple of caps. Bizarre.

I'd assume the £7.5 million figure is largely dependant on appearances / trophies to the extent that if the full fee was payable, it would work out as good business.

Well, if they paid his buy out clause I'd assume that means the full figure has to be paid. Even if it is dependent on add ons to some extent, that figure still seems exorbitant given the level he's come from and the fact Guimarães picked him up for beans a couple of weeks ago. The Portuguese third division can't be much higher than Irish League standard.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Declan on August 12, 2010, 09:05:15 AM
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={FE60904B-C2A8-4E60-9B05-700DBBC29BBC}&section=playerProfile&teamid=&bioid=94383

Someone having some fun?

... just been told that they get a profile ready for every player that's rumoured - so there's one for Benzema etc...

nrico2006

I heard Bebe can play as an attacking midfielder too, something that we are in dire need of.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 12, 2010, 09:32:48 AM
I heard Bebe can play as an attacking midfielder too, something that we are in dire need of.

He's going to ruin one of your songs now :D

You root in the dustbin for something to eat
You find a dead rat and you think it's a treat :D

A Quinn Martin Production

Welbeck to Sunderland for the season
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

ballinaman

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 12, 2010, 10:32:00 AM
Welbeck to Sunderland for the season
That just leaves the other 47 strikers at the club...

ross4life

Let's look at the striking options for the Season

Rooney, before last season he struggled to get 20 goals in a season, now expectations will be high that he can repeat his 34 tally from last season, have a feeling injury & suspension will prevent him from doing so, 25 goals would be a good return

Berbatov, has never reached his full potential at united will be 30 in January a real make or break season for him needs to score at least 20 goals

Owen, will be used as a bit part player again hopefully he can stay injury free & score 10+ goals

Hernández, this guy looks made for the PL pace & great eye for a goal reminds me of a young Owen & 15+ goals would be a good first season return for him

Macheda, If the four strikers above stay injury free Federico is unlikely to get much game time at 18 he's one for the future a return of 5 goals would be ok

Bebe, now that he's signed up he might be loaned out? if not he may play in the Carling cup & score a goal or two

All other strikers are out on loan......
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2010, 09:46:32 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 12, 2010, 09:32:48 AM

He's going to ruin one of your songs now :D

You root in the dustbin for something to eat
You find a dead rat and you think it's a treat :D

Why? Did he recently solve the social problems of Murkydive?  ;D

EC Unique

Quote from: ross4life on August 12, 2010, 04:11:43 PM
Let's look at the striking options for the Season

Hernández, this guy looks made for the PL pace & great eye for a goal reminds me of a young Owen & 15+ goals would be a good first season return for him

Scoles recons he is a similar player to Ole!! Lets hope so....

AFS

Now that it's confirmed that it's not a joke, I still can't get my head around this Bebe deal. He moves to Guimarães for next to nothing then five weeks later United are paying £7.5m for him. Is it either:

United were tracking him all along, but the place is being run by clowns, who fucked up the opportunity to get him on the cheap and have unnecessarily cost the club about £7m.

or

United have decided to lay out £7.5m on a complete unknown, who's barely played at a level high than semi-professional, on the back of a handful of pre-season friendlies.

Neither explanation makes much sense. Definitely the most bizarre United signing in a long time.

David McKeown

Quote from: AFS on August 12, 2010, 05:18:49 PM
Now that it's confirmed that it's not a joke, I still can't get my head around this Bebe deal. He moves to Guimarães for next to nothing then five weeks later United are paying £7.5m for him. Is it either:

United were tracking him all along, but the place is being run by clowns, who fucked up the opportunity to get him on the cheap and have unnecessarily cost the club about £7m.

or

United have decided to lay out £7.5m on a complete unknown, who's barely played at a level high than semi-professional, on the back of a handful of pre-season friendlies.

Neither explanation makes much sense. Definitely the most bizarre United signing in a long time.

Although he only moved about 5 weeks ago there's been a lot of talk on message boards and in papers that that transfer had been agreed at least behind closed doors if not publicly for quite sometime. So had Utd decided to buy him 6 weeks ago they would have had to spend the same money
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

mc_grens

No. He was a free agent 5 weeks ago. His previous club were in trouble and unable to pay his wages so he became a free agent at the start of the summer. He remained that until signing for free for the club united bought him from 5 weeks ago. The rest of the premiership is currently sniggering at you behind their hands

UNLESS, there is a provision in the Bosman legislation disqualifying young players moving over Borders with no fee involved. Wasn't that part of the Obi- Mikel debacle?

mc_grens

Quote from: Boycey on August 12, 2010, 07:36:15 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on August 12, 2010, 06:45:50 PM
No. He was a free agent 5 weeks ago. His previous club were in trouble and unable to pay his wages so he became a free agent at the start of the summer. He remained that until signing for free for the club united bought him from 5 weeks ago. The rest of the premiership is currently sniggering at you behind their hands

UNLESS, there is a provision in the Bosman legislation disqualifying young players moving over Borders with no fee involved. Wasn't that part of the Obi- Mikel debacle?

I'm glad you have sorted that one out for us, the hardened journalists who work for the daily newspapers are still trying to get to the bottom of it but you having spent one day looking at internet speculation have it all figured out.

That said it is the strangest transfer I can recall and I can't see logic anywhere in the deal at present although I have to say I'll eat my hat if it emerges that United have paid £7.5 upfront for this guy

It's OK. I won't claim the credit. That all came from Gabriel Marcotti of the London Times.