Brawl at Wicklow U15 match

Started by The Wedger, October 11, 2021, 05:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wedger

There were some very bad scenes at this match on the videos that are doing the rounds.
Let's hope it is properly punished. I've seen lots of "typical GAA" comments on social media from soccer heads which shows how widespread the opinion is that GAA games are out of control and this behaviour is accepted as part of the game.

https://twitter.com/invest_ez/status/1446940243018518529

JoG2

I mentioned on the other thread that some of these young players will not set foot on a football field again. A group of 15/20 boys will have all kinds of personalities. Some will be shy and it will take quite a bit for them to put themselves out there in a team environment. And for some one with this disposition to witness the carnage above will have been  terrifying.
To a lesser extent the behaviour of some underage coaches towards refs, their players and opposition can be awful. The verbal abuse leaves a very bad taste. I'm talking u12 / u14 etc... Player retention, more so now than ever with all matter of other pursuits, destrations, is incredibly important and none of the above does anything to help that cause. This type of behaviour needs to be stamped out (not literally)

rodney trotter

It seems to be a lot of parents and coaches involved in that clip . Whatever above the players,they shouldn't be getting involved.

Itchy

It was u15 but absolutely disgraceful. The poor kids.

J70

Any word on what set it off?

Was there an incident on the field between players? A refereeing decision?

Rudi

Quote from: J70 on October 11, 2021, 07:52:35 PM
Any word on what set it off?

Was there an incident on the field between players? A refereeing decision?
[/quote

Final whistle blew, wasn't a close game. A player on the losing team got sent off for mouthing. Coaches from each side were shaking hands, things were said. Pushing and shoving ensued, a young player got accidentally pushed/ trampled by a coach who was getting a,few,slaps. Parents of young lad saw something different, f#ckwit behaviour ensued, cause you can get away with murder once you cross the whitewash on a Gaa field.

Milltown Row2

Seen some clips of it... some people need to catch themselves on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farrandeelin

What should happen of course is all the names of those involved are taken and banned from entering GAA matches again. It would be impossible to police of course but it was disgraceful behaviour from adults at an underage game.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

whitey

I was at an U14 match years ago where one team actually went out and targeted certain opposition players for extreme foul play. One lad, who was one of the best players on the team, picked up a very serious injury and essentially never player Gaelic football again. I know for a fact they were told exactly what to do by one of the selectors, because one of the players told me so. There's hard feelings between both clubs to this day

burdizzo

Exactly what you mention happened this year, underage, in my own county. So, nothing unique. I actually think that sort of thing is more reprehensible than a brawl.

Obviously it's not good, but I have seen far worse - plenty of times. I suppose it's got all the attention because it was at an u15 game?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: burdizzo on October 11, 2021, 11:17:24 PM
Exactly what you mention happened this year, underage, in my own county. So, nothing unique. I actually think that sort of thing is more reprehensible than a brawl.

Obviously it's not good, but I have seen far worse - plenty of times. I suppose it's got all the attention because it was at an u15 game?

Got all the attention because this needs to be stamped out, regardless of seeing worse. Having passion for your club, the parish and so on is one thing, mass brawl at an under15 game is just rotten, embarrassed for all involved and those involved need to feck away off, that style of support/coach/player/parent won't be missed. Neanderthal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 11, 2021, 09:10:12 PM
What should happen of course is all the names of those involved are taken and banned from entering GAA matches again. It would be impossible to police of course but it was disgraceful behaviour from adults at an underage game.
Impossible to police that. As someone else said, if someone starts thumping the head of you you cant exactly turn the other cheek. Likewise your one in the clip shouting that someone hit her son- if she did see a man hit her child then you can't blame her for flipping the lid.

APM

Too much slabbering on the sidelines at underage matches. We see it year in year out and it only takes someone to "light the match" and you have scenes like this.   Clubs are to blame by letting the wrong people take charge of teams and then when they act the bollix, they brush it under the carpet in a misguided attempt to protect their own. There should be absolute zero tolerance for this bullshit. Also, what happened to the rule about playing championship matches at a pitch with a fence?

Also worth saying that whoever put that video online was wrong.  However, you have a number of GAA people being assualted by others and is it not better that there is evidence to present to the authorities.

themac_23

Someone phone the cops' wouldn't get away with that in the north  ;D . on a serious note, crazy scenes and im sure nobody involved got home and were proud of themselves. Heat of the moment red mist etc, but adults need to realise that kids will see their actions and feel its acceptable.

Seen someone on twitter saying that, parents shouldn't be allowed to take teams where their kids are playing, I dont know what world some people live in some clubs struggle to get anyone to take a team regardless and some only have mentors because their young lad or girl plays on the team. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. Personally id just like to see clubs themselves hammer the people involved regardless of who they are. Clubs have a duty of care to their members, not fair clubs being brought down by people acting the clown at games. Self policing is the way to go.

JoG2

Quote from: themac_23 on October 12, 2021, 10:54:00 AM
Someone phone the cops' wouldn't get away with that in the north  ;D . on a serious note, crazy scenes and im sure nobody involved got home and were proud of themselves. Heat of the moment red mist etc, but adults need to realise that kids will see their actions and feel its acceptable.

Seen someone on twitter saying that, parents shouldn't be allowed to take teams where their kids are playing, I dont know what world some people live in some clubs struggle to get anyone to take a team regardless and some only have mentors because their young lad or girl plays on the team. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. Personally id just like to see clubs themselves hammer the people involved regardless of who they are. Clubs have a duty of care to their members, not fair clubs being brought down by people acting the clown at games. Self policing is the way to go.

Self policing is the reason these things happen. CB's need to start coming down hard on teams. Sweep sweep and teams / players not taking their oil is rampant in the GAA