that pub in lurgan?

Started by lawnseed, January 27, 2014, 11:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Ceili House was my family bar until the recession and the smoking ban came in and kicked us in the arse. Best Monday Club in the town with Billy Elvis Quinn doing the afternoon shift before he headed down to the Forresters at tea-time.
Keep 'er lit

Mickey Linden

Some great days there g man! Baps roadshow followed by a bit of afternoon Elvis!hard to bate on a Monday

Don Johnson

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 28, 2014, 06:03:20 PM
Is the Corner House making any in-roads at building a clientele since it re-opened? Was in it last summer and there was hardly a sinner about.

It was packed out the first couple of weekends but think it has died off since then. Too far out of the way and hard to get taxis.

The INF is the only real spot in the town now for the Monday club. Billy Elvis still does a turn, Seamy Brady as well.

Mickey Linden is talking about making his reappearance in the INF next Sunday morning.

Aristo 60

Quote from: Don Johnson on January 29, 2014, 09:48:15 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 28, 2014, 06:03:20 PM
Is the Corner House making any in-roads at building a clientele since it re-opened? Was in it last summer and there was hardly a sinner about.

It was packed out the first couple of weekends but think it has died off since then. Too far out of the way and hard to get taxis.

The INF is the only real spot in the town now for the Monday club. Billy Elvis still does a turn, Seamy Brady as well.

Mickey Linden is talking about making his reappearance in the INF next Sunday morning.

Is there more than one Mickey Linden?

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Used to play for the Beehive Bar in the Lurgan pubs league in the mid 70s. Some great characters back in the day

illdecide

Quote from: T Fearon on January 29, 2014, 10:43:21 PM
Used to play for the Beehive Bar in the Lurgan pubs league in the mid 70s. Some great characters back in the day

Back in the day when it was an old mans bar and 90% of the alcohol sold was stout, it had the name for the best pint of stout in the town. Now of course its done up and the younger brigade have moved in and if you're looking a partner Sat night is the night to be there (only went one Sat and couldn't believe the amount of women running around looking for a victim)

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: illdecide on January 30, 2014, 11:22:00 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 29, 2014, 10:43:21 PM

Back in the day when it was an old mans bar and 90% of the alcohol sold was stout, it had the name for the best pint of stout in the town. Now of course its done up and the younger brigade have moved in and if you're looking a partner Sat night is the night to be there (only went one Sat and couldn't believe the amount of women running around looking for a victim)

Sold!

Ulick

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 27, 2014, 09:10:07 PM
Always liked the old Cellar myself. Would go in there for lunch the odd time on the weekend, decent spot to put in a Saturday afternoon shooting pool with mates. Was a great gathering spot when waiting for the Arena bus too. Especially on the Saturday night when the Apprentice Boys would be marching down William St and back up the town, we'd be outside the pub waiting for the bus so we just stood and watched the bands.  This was when Wakehurst was still a protestant enclave, some of the young ones from that estate would walk back up the town alongside the bands looking nervous as hell at us, but we never passed any remarks.  Some of our ones would even join in jumping about and "celebrating" with the bands. I think the RUC was more nervous about it than we were.

Aye, sure  ::)

Here's how I remember it. Every time a band got walking down William St., all the pubs and business locked their doors. All of them, including Paddy McCann. No fenian got past RUC lines at the top of Edward St, Church Walk, North St, or bottom of William St.

T Fearon

When the Beehive was run by the late Tom Mc Conaghy, there was no nonsense, it was a man's pub alright, similarly the International Bar (I played for Lurgan Inter for a few years too) in the town centre was a real man's bar, where the craic was invarably good and no nonsense of any description was tolerated. They don't make pubs like this anymore

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Ulick on January 30, 2014, 03:47:10 PM
Aye, sure  ::)

This must have been before your time. Or after it. Some one of the two.

I was right there and I'm telling you it happened.

illdecide

Eamonnca1 in fairness Ulick's experience of the parades would be mine too, when the parade was going past you were shoved in and door closed until they were well past. You must be 80 year old ;)...

illdecide

Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2014, 04:56:08 PM
When the Beehive was run by the late Tom Mc Conaghy, there was no nonsense, it was a man's pub alright, similarly the International Bar (I played for Lurgan Inter for a few years too) in the town centre was a real man's bar, where the craic was invarably good and no nonsense of any description was tolerated. They don't make pubs like this anymore

Not sure about how things are done now Tony but in fairness to the McConaghy's they never tolerated any nonsense in any of their bars from anyone when i was running about.

T Fearon

JUst retired

I`ll decide, if you remember that as well,does that make you 80 as well? :D